Gros Morne Christmas bird counts

Darroch Whitaker

Dec 25, 2023, 8:11:02 AM12/25/23
The two Christmas Bird Counts in the Gros Morne area were held last week, though unsettled weather meant that both occurred under far from ideal conditions. In total 44 species were observed between the two counts as well as an additional 3 count week species.

Eight people in 2 groups completed the St. Paul's-Cow Head count on December 17. High onshore winds (50 gusting to 70 kmh in the morning increasing to 70-80 kmh in the afternoon) made for very challenging birding, and no doubt accounted for the low counts or absence of most landbirds as well as some regular waterbirds like Common Merganser. Still we had record high counts of Harlequin Duck and Red-breasted Merganser, as well as a good number of Common Goldeneye and a single Bufflehead in St. Paul's Inlet.

Thirteen people in 5 groups completed the Bonne Bay count on December 20th. The weather was mild with light winds but steady rain for most of the day, again making it difficult to find any landbirds and keep the optics dry and unfogged. Despite the weather we had record high counts of Common Goldeneye, Red-breasted Merganser, Mourning Dove, and Rock Pigeon, as well as 4 Barrow's Goldeneye and a count week Dickcissel. Though the Mourning Dove count (16) was a record there were 28 at my feeder the next day so even that was an undercount.

Here are the full details, hopefully the formatting doesn't get too messed up in the posting.

Species NLSC NLBB
American Black Duck 107 14
Mallard 1 2
Common Eider 1 0