Survey of Irish Makerspaces

Tara Whelan

May 1, 2016, 12:18:11 PM5/1/16
to Nexus Cork

Hi all,

I’m undertaking a survey of Irish makerspaces. A similar piece of research was undertaken by Nesta in the UK last year, which led to a very interesting open dataset which you can take a look at here: http://www.nesta.org.uk/uk-makerspaces-data

I’m repeating their survey, with slight modifications (mostly just changes relating to Irish legal structures) to try and get a clearer picture of what makerspaces in all their guises look like here in Ireland. Most of the data will be released as an open dataset which I hope will be useful to the Irish maker community as a whole.

The survey can be viewed and filled out here: http://goo.gl/forms/CgUEiAkyoD

Some data will be anonymised. This is clearly labelled within the survey.

The research asks about user numbers, demographics and activities throughout the month of May. I understand that there will likely necessarily be a degree of fuzziness around those answers, but I’d appreciate if you could keep a mindful eye on what’s going on in the space over the next month in order to answer those questions as best you can.

This research will be used as part of a PhD research project investigating makerspaces. The project is supported in part by the Irish Research Council and Science Foundation Ireland.

If you have any questions about the survey, please don’t hesitate to contact me at tara....@ul.ie

Best,

Tara

Will Knott

May 3, 2016, 5:57:33 AM5/3/16
to nexuscork

Hi guys,

It makes sense for me to do this for Tyndall rather than for Nexus.
I'm assuming that Cathal or Stephen a) got this and b) would fill in the survey on behalf of Forma.

Any takers for Nexus?

Paul Lee

May 3, 2016, 6:04:51 AM5/3/16
to nexu...@googlegroups.com
I'm happy to do it if no one else wants to..

Paul Lee
C3A (Chief 3D Architect) & CoFounder Retail Everywhere
CEO Viewsion Virtual Environments

Check out my publications & bio on:

www.amazon.com/author/irisharchitect

Will Knott

May 3, 2016, 6:58:07 AM5/3/16
to nexuscork

Can someone email this to the Nosh Labs guyd?

Jeffrey Roe

May 3, 2016, 7:06:57 AM5/3/16
to nexu...@googlegroups.com
They are on the mailing list but the last time I emailed them I got a bounce.

Jeffrey Roe,
www.tog.ie

Tara Whelan

May 3, 2016, 7:09:35 PM5/3/16
to Nexus Cork
If there could be a separate survey filled out for both Tyndall and Nexus, that would be great.

Jeffrey, I sent this out to the Tog list too, but it might be stuck because I didn't send it from my personal email.

I don't know Nosh Labs. If anyone has a contact for them I'll send it on to them, too.

Cheers!

Jeffrey Roe

May 4, 2016, 5:16:17 AM5/4/16
to nexu...@googlegroups.com
No sign of a bounce Tara. Who are you looking to get to fill out the
form. If you want the membership to do something best to use our
contact form on the website or in...@tog.ie

I think there is a mistake in one of the questions.
Unique users in November 2014

Seems like a strange month to pick.
Also Total visits in May 2016
The month has just started. Do you want an estimate ?

Jeffrey Roe,
www.tog.ie

Tara Whelan

May 4, 2016, 9:11:09 AM5/4/16
to Nexus Cork
I'll email it in, so.

You're right, that's a mistake. Fixed now.

I'd like for an eye to be kept on the space over the next month so that the survey could be filled in at the end of the month.

Jeffrey Roe

May 4, 2016, 9:21:56 AM5/4/16
to nexu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tara,
We do keep visitor numbers so that should be fine but the race / sex
break down is not recorded.
Jeffrey Roe,
www.tog.ie

Tara Whelan

May 4, 2016, 9:34:27 AM5/4/16
to Nexus Cork
If you could, just for the month, that would be amazing. Otherwise, an estimate would be fine.

Thanks, Jeff