Renewed suggestion: Bring Cork's makerspaces together

Cathal Garvey

May 19, 2016, 4:30:58 PM5/19/16
to nexu...@googlegroups.com
Hey folks,

I know we've discussed this before, but I think it's due another look.

At Nexus, we have members, some equipment, and shared history. But, our
location is due to be demolished.

At Forma, we have equipment, infrastructure (web, partnerships, events).
But we have very few members. And honestly, I can't handle the role of
"secretary" of Cork Biomakerspace Limited without a bit of motivation
(e.g., other people).

LabNosh, a third makerspace, is effectively defunct, or so I've heard
from some of its former founders. They're interested in getting started
at Forma, something that I've been dropping the ball on honestly..

Cork has a lot of tech and maker peeps, and it's kinda cool that we've
had three makerspaces for a while. But honestly, we'd all be better off
if we got ourselves together, shared our activities and successes, and
diluted one anothers' issues.

I've set up Forma with infrastructure like a site, a members' owncloud,
and we can issue member email addresses and key-codes easily for
newcomers. We have a company behind the makerspace to handle finances
and such, already; I could do with more officers, if there are
volunteers.

So I'm suggesting again; Nexus' tenancy at Sample is soon to change
significantly with the move to a new building. We'll probably lose our
carpark anyway in the move. I suggest we pile into Forma Labs and make
the most of Grattan House.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

--
Biotech: http://www.indiebiotech.com
Other: http://letters.cathalgarvey.me

Christian van den Bosch

May 20, 2016, 9:55:50 AM5/20/16
to nexu...@googlegroups.com
This all sounds like an excellent plan.

I've all of next week off work, so could meet, discuss and maybe even move some equipment (have van, will lift stuff) if we were able to make a decision that quickly.

Will Knott

May 20, 2016, 1:02:01 PM5/20/16
to nexuscork

I'm really going to miss the parking space. And I'm sort of pulled in to the Volxküche as a Nexus member.

I'm not sure if there is a CorkDev.io talk in June, but I assume that it's worth considering the Grattan House venue as a clock is already ticking.

Take care,
Will

Danfox Davies

Jul 6, 2016, 4:44:13 PM7/6/16
to Nexus Cork, cathal...@cathalgarvey.me
I think it's well worth merging the two together - at least for the next year or so, due to the limited space Nexus currently has and the amount of time Forma stands empty of people. Make better use of the space and time you have. Perhaps that mouldy room behind the kitchen could be fully stripped out and renovated for use by Nexus too (by people with suitable masks), if funding could be found.

Christian van den Bosch

Jul 7, 2016, 4:14:51 AM7/7/16
to nexu...@googlegroups.com
What kind of money are we talking to renovate that room? What caused the mould? Are there ongoing leaks/damp that would lead to a rapid return?

Cathal (Phone)

Jul 7, 2016, 4:35:31 AM7/7/16
to nexu...@googlegroups.com
For reasons I can't go into on a public forum, the prospects for a merger at Grattan house are by now minimal. Forma Labs will be needing a new venue soon.

Paul Lee

Jul 7, 2016, 5:38:32 AM7/7/16
to nexu...@googlegroups.com
Cathal, sorry to hear that. I presume that your proposal to merge is no longer viable then?

Paul Lee
C3A (Chief 3D Architect) & CoFounder Retail Everywhere
CEO Viewsion Virtual Environments

Check out my publications & bio on:

www.amazon.com/author/irisharchitect

cathal...@cathalgarvey.me

Jul 7, 2016, 5:54:40 AM7/7/16
to nexu...@googlegroups.com
The communities would still benefit from coming together, there's no question of that. Just not Grattan House.

Donnchadh Ó Donnabháin

Jul 7, 2016, 6:26:43 AM7/7/16
to nexu...@googlegroups.com

  That's a shame. Bringing the makerspaces together is definitely still a good idea.
We should probably try to meet up some time. I won't be around for the next week and a half but I should have a bit more free time from the 18th.

  Donnchadh

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 9:35 AM, Cathal (Phone) <cathal...@cathalgarvey.me> wrote:

For reasons I can't go into on a public forum, the prospects for a merger at Grattan house are by now minimal. Forma Labs will be needing a new venue soon.

--
Donnchadh Ó Donnabháin

Paul Lee

Jul 7, 2016, 6:38:25 AM7/7/16
to nexu...@googlegroups.com
Sure I would support the communities coming together. I think the diverse interests are vital and everyone/ group needs to be able to forward their own agendas and have their own identities. That is vital for decision making- Nexus is very constrained in it's ability to make decisions with the budget and with the space- Only individual actions really gets things done. There are advantages to that structure but obvious disadvantages

I'm confused about Grattan House then. If Forma is moving out, I presume Nexus should stay in Sullivans Quay?

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 10:54 AM, <cathal...@cathalgarvey.me> wrote:
The communities would still benefit from coming together, there's no question of that. Just not Grattan House.

July 7 2016 10:38 AM, "Paul Lee" <pa...@viewsion.ie> wrote:
Cathal, sorry to hear that. I presume that your proposal to merge is no longer viable then?
Paul Lee
C3A (Chief 3D Architect) & CoFounder Retail Everywhere
CEO Viewsion Virtual Environments
Check out my publications & bio on:

Will Knott

Jul 7, 2016, 6:51:29 AM7/7/16
to nexuscork
I don't think a move to leave Sample was officially announced. The presumption was that the site would close at the end of June this year we we were waiting for the announcement.
CIT were granted another year on their lease, meaning that the building is not being torn down for at least another year (July 1 2017?).

So no need to move yet.

Yet

cathal...@cathalgarvey.me

Jul 7, 2016, 7:28:33 AM7/7/16
to nexu...@googlegroups.com
Will suggested that Sullivan's Quay got a stay of execution; if so, that gives us more leeway to figure out where we're going. Nexus still needs a plan, though.

We've been lucky enough to sub-let from others for a long time, but I'd love to see Nexus gathering a lot more members and taking off somewhere more independent, someday.

From our experience at Forma, it's not hard to collect a lot of public interest, the challenge is converting that into memberships. And I don't mean that we've had people reject the idea of supporting Forma or coming to events..quite the opposite. The problem is that there is nobody to take responsibility for driving Forma's community-building.

In other words, "If you build it, they will come" is a myth, and I knew that when we got into making Forma Labs. People need leadership. If Nexus' founding members could together lead the hackerspace more actively, then we could probably convince more "interested"s to become "involved"s. We're too late to do that at Forma, most of our founding members left, sadly (for various justifiable, external reasons).

Whether this year or next, Nexus will also be homeless and I don't think we can rely on a guaranteed place wherever Sample Studios lands, if Sample Studios finds a new venue.

More members (refugees from Forma and Nosh?) would give Nexus a stronger position, but we'd still need to, er, *do* more stuff.

Will Knott

Jul 7, 2016, 7:41:17 AM7/7/16
to nexuscork

I think that this is where regular events and the likes of Maker Faire come in.

It gives a deadline for *something *.

So, Maker Faire Rome is in October? What could Nexus build for that (separate email thread please).

Take care,
Will

Danfox Davies

Sep 11, 2016, 6:13:51 AM9/11/16
to Nexus Cork
A lot of stuff has happened since this conversation.
Forma Labs is now going to be staying at Grattan House, well into next year. One of the provisos for us being able to do so, is making more use of the building more of the time. Guess what? You guys are looking for a new place with the imminent demolition of the Sample Studios building (I was told it would be around December-January time) and we need more people doing more stuff. Looks like a merger at Grattan House is on the cards after all, if you all agree and let me know when to pop down and open the door for you to bring Nexus stuff in.
The room with the mould needs new roofing felt and a new ceiling. The old ceiling can be /painted over/ according to our maintenance guy, but I don't like that idea as it will surely not fix the problem for long at all, the mould is too ingrained in the plasterboard.
It also needs a proper fumigation with fungicide and airing out before use.
In the meantime, there are other, more habitable rooms only being half-used in the building where you can cram Nexus in for now. We also have our own kitchen, with a lot of food to be used up before it goes off.

Come on down and take a look around, just give me an email a day or so beforehand so I can be there or so I can find someone else who can.

Danfox

Danfox Davies

Sep 11, 2016, 6:24:34 AM9/11/16
to nexu...@googlegroups.com
After a word with Patrick, it looks like a Wednesday evening meet-up is happening to sort out the potential for the merger. Other Nexus folks who want to come along, please be there between 4 and 5pm on Wednesday.

Jason Leonard

Sep 11, 2016, 10:49:53 AM9/11/16
to nexu...@googlegroups.com

Hi all.

I've sadly had to move away from Cork. But in the mean time I've set up a litecoin clone that has no block reward and an android wallet(all currency is premined to an initial central address). I was trying to put crypto back end to something like the Bristol pound. Its backed by the local council. I can't think of anywhere better suited to having her own local currency than cork. Get a pretty design add it to a paper wallet generator like www.metbalance.org/colchestercoin/ I've got a couple linodes running Colchestercoin, but itd be simple enough to change it to cork coin and recompile. Its fully functional...the android wallet operates as a pos device for shops. Possibly in partnership with student union?

Anyway if anyone has any interest let me know.

Christian van den Bosch

Sep 11, 2016, 1:36:14 PM9/11/16
to nexu...@googlegroups.com
Can't make Wednesday I'm afraid, but am happy with merger in principle.

Am available most evenings and weekends to help with move - have van & trailer. Bit shy of mould though (spores in particular) due to history of lung trouble.

Danfox Davies

Sep 11, 2016, 1:37:07 PM9/11/16
to nexu...@googlegroups.com
Forma folks will also be at Grattan House at 4pm Friday :-)

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Nexus Cork" group.

Danfox Davies

Sep 11, 2016, 1:37:32 PM9/11/16
to nexu...@googlegroups.com
And the mould is confined to one room, for the vast majority of it

Will Knott

Sep 13, 2016, 3:15:43 AM9/13/16
to nexuscork

Work gets in the way for meeting on Wednesday September 14,but I could make 4.30pm on Friday September 16. Too late?

Christian van den Bosch

Sep 13, 2016, 4:28:53 PM9/13/16
to nexu...@googlegroups.com
I could make it after about 6pm on Fri if that's any use...

Danfox Davies

Sep 14, 2016, 5:40:22 AM9/14/16
to Nexus Cork
Will and Christian, I will be there on Friday anyway for the Forma Fridays meeting and you will be more than welcome at those times.

Will Knott

Sep 14, 2016, 7:03:27 AM9/14/16
to nexuscork
Office hours are generally a bad time to try to get most Nexus members in person (no jokes about outside those hours)

Will Knott

Sep 14, 2016, 1:35:25 PM9/14/16
to nexuscork

Sorry. Just realised that Friday September 16 is the meeting date. It's culture night and I'm hosting workshops. I'm not free until 7.30pm.
Too late?

Take care,
Will

Danfox Davies

Sep 15, 2016, 1:54:03 PM9/15/16
to nexu...@googlegroups.com
7:30pm can be done, but please drop us an email if you have another change of plan.

Danfox

Danfox Davies

Sep 20, 2016, 8:11:51 AM9/20/16