[help] Issue getting nextflow to launch on aws-batch

Shawn Rynearson

Feb 8, 2018, 2:45:11 PM2/8/18
to Nextflow
Hello Group I've seemed to hit a bit of an impasse and I hope other may have experienced this before and can offer some suggestions.

I've created a test set based on the nextflow aws-batch documentation

What I've done:
  • Built my own ami starting with a "Amazon ECS-Optimized Amazon Linux" and installed awscli, and modifying the docker storage via the '/etc/sysconfig/docker-storage' file.
  • Duplicated the nf config file found here but modified it so it looks like the following.
aws {
    accessKey
= '******'
    secretKey
= '*******'
    region
= 'us-west-2'
}

profiles
{
    awsbatch
{
        aws
.region = 'us-west-2'
        process
.queue = 'testQ'
        executor
.name = 'awsbatch'
        executor
.awscli = '/home/ec2-user/miniconda/bin/aws'

}
}

process
{
    $getVersion
{
        container
= 'quay.io/biocontainers/salmon' <-- testing with nf container.

}
}

With a equally simple nf script.
#!/usr/bin/env nextflow

// ------------------------------------- //

process testconnect
{

"""
    touch myfile.txt
    echo "
hello world" > myfile.txt
    """

}

// ------------------------------------- //

Also, I created a simple aws-queue and compute environment to launch into.

==============================================================>

When I launch the job nextflow accept the process and config and holds.

$> nextflow run aws.pipeline.nf -c aws.config -w s3://testbucket

When I jump over to the aws console nextflow creates the .command.sh and .command.run files in S3, but the 'job queue' in aws-batch never changes and no ec2 instances are launched.  Basically, the job just holds until I cancel it via the command line.

I thought that maybe the the instance wasn't configured correctly but based on my reading of the aws docs when you use a "Amazon ECS-Optimized Amazon Linux" instance all the necessary environmental variables are set correctly, including 'awslogs'

Another avenue I'm currently exploring is the possibly my vpc was not configured correctly, so if anyone thinks this could be creating the issue, I'll dig further.

Thanks!

--Shawn

Paolo Di Tommaso

Feb 8, 2018, 2:58:37 PM2/8/18
to nextflow
I would suggest that you first try to run a basic hello job using using aws cli tool in the configured queue.

Once you manage to do that we can go further with the NF troubleshooting (if needed).