Course on Statistics

alexander.be...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2014, 12:44:13 PM4/16/14
to next-phd...@googlegroups.com
This is the test of the forum. The Course on Statistics was suggested by Declan Miller. I would like to know who else supports it.
Regards,
Sasha

T.R.M...@soton.ac.uk

Apr 23, 2014, 8:07:50 AM4/23/14
to next-phd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sasha, I've done a course before but I personally would benefit from another! So if I can make it I'd be there. Best, Tim.
Message has been deleted

stefano....@googlemail.com

Apr 23, 2014, 8:10:27 AM4/23/14
to next-phd...@googlegroups.com
I definitely support it. The ideal person to approach is Glen Cowan (RHUL), who has been delivering the module since a few years within the Intercollegiate Postgraduate Course in Elementary Particle Physics (aka London PhD School): see http://www.hep.ucl.ac.uk/~campanel/Post_Grads/2013-2014/.

Normally, Glen's module is completed in the first term of each year. One should the consider, in order of priority, the following options.

1. To import the module via VC.

2. Arrange for attendance of our interested students to the London PhD School.

To have it delivered either of these ways is impossible this year, of course.
However, if a sufficient number of students are interested, one could gently approach Glen and ask him whether he would like to repeat it. Alternatively, a combination of Glen's book and completion of the problem sheets should be sufficient to learn the subject. In this case, though, students should set aside time for self-tutoring.

Thanks to Declan Millar for some heads-up on the matter !