Effective field theories

Tadeusz Janowski

Apr 23, 2014, 9:11:04 AM4/23/14
to next-phd...@googlegroups.com
We discussed this a little bit (in 4007) and we think it would be both interesting and useful to have a course on effective field theories.
Some of the topics could include (but not be limited to):
operator product expansion, chiral perturbation theory, heavy quark effective theory, and some relevant topics on renormalization such as power counting and Applequist-Carrazone theorem.

Stefano Moretti

May 2, 2014, 4:04:06 AM5/2/14
to next-phd...@googlegroups.com
In my opinion, the best person to deliver such a module, for which I think a one-week mini-course should suffice, is probably Sebastian Jaeger in Sussex. I have dropped him a note to alert him to your interest, but I suggest you contacting him directly to sound out his availability.

gms...@googlemail.com

May 12, 2014, 12:52:04 PM5/12/14
to next-phd...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I would be happy to give an introduction touching on much of the above. My aim would be to run this in a fairly intense way, one week, with a lecture each morning and problem(s) to work on till the following lecture. At the end of the week you should then be able to use basic EFT techniques to your advantage, and know how/where to teach yourself more.

I'm investigating scheduling, but it will most likely be the last week of June or one of the first two weeks of July.

Please let me have any further comments.

Sebastian

Tadeusz Janowski

May 12, 2014, 7:46:18 PM5/12/14
to next-phd...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sebastian,

Thank you for the offer, this sounds very interesting!
End of June is a bit unfortunate, since it clashes with lattice conference that myself and few others who expressed interest in this course will attend.
Early July works at least for me (not sure about the others, maybe they can reply to this thread?).

Once again thank you and I'm looking forward to the course!

Tadeusz

maien....@gmail.com

May 13, 2014, 8:12:31 AM5/13/14
to next-phd...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sebastian,

Thanks for the offer. I'm also interested in attending this course. Early July would be best for me as well since I'm attending a workshop in Italy at late June.

Many thanks,
Maien

gms...@googlemail.com

May 28, 2014, 7:52:32 AM5/28/14
to next-phd...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I have provisionally scheduled 5 lectures for the second week of July (starting 7 July), please see the online calendar. The idea is to have a substantial lecture in the morning, and give you time to work on one or more problems during the rest of the day, which will then briefly be discussed the next morning.

Sebastian