BSM short course from Prof Khalil (ZCST)

Stefano Moretti

Apr 19, 2015, 7:07:04 AM4/19/15
to next-phd...@googlegroups.com
Prof Shaaban Khalil, from Zewail City of Science and Technology (Egypt). will be visiting Southampton on 27 June - 11 July. He is kindly volunteering a short course on BSM physics (on SUSY, strings, extra-dimensions, gravity, etc.). Students should post to the forum their interest in attending it as well as preferences for its content.

declanand...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2015, 7:29:05 AM4/19/15
to next-phd...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to express my interest in attending this course. My personal preference for content would be composite Higgs, as well as extra dimensions, if these options are possible. Cheers, Declan.

Diana Rojas

Apr 19, 2015, 9:06:29 AM4/19/15
to next-phd...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to express my interest in attending this course. Cheers, Diana Rojas.

Miguel Crispim Romão

Apr 22, 2015, 5:30:54 AM4/22/15
to next-phd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stefano,

I would be interested in this course if it would focus on Strings (and possibily extra dimensions and SUSY at a model building level), but if the majority prefers other topics I would still attend the lectures.

Best
Miguel

Stanislav Schmidt

Apr 22, 2015, 6:44:33 AM4/22/15
to next-phd...@googlegroups.com
I might attend this course as well. I'm interested in string theory and holography, but also in non-perturbative aspects.

Miguel Crispim Romão

Apr 23, 2015, 9:12:37 AM4/23/15
to next-phd...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Prof. Khalil agreed to rearrange the course as to avoid overlap with next phd school courses, he now suggests:

Hi Miguel,
Thanks a lot for your feedback. It is fine with me to focus in one topic of BSM and discuss it in more depth.
It seems you have enough courses on supersymmetry, so we can devote this short course for extra dimension, in particular Randall-Sundrum Model and Brane Cosmology.
Concerning String, I am happy to give the 5 lectures on string theory, but in this case, we will not be able to go beyond the bosonic strings !!
So please check it with your colleagues and let me know.
Best regards,
Shaaban

What do you guys think? I like the cosmology part, would the String course be of any interest to anyone?

Best
Miguel

prage...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2015, 10:20:27 AM4/23/15
to next-phd...@googlegroups.com
I will attend the course if it takes place after the 6th of July (I'll be in Erice before).

Fredrik Björkeroth

Apr 23, 2015, 1:21:43 PM4/23/15
to next-phd...@googlegroups.com
I would like to express my interest in attending. I too am particularly interested in extra dimensions, but will happily attend for any of the topics you have already suggested.

Cheers,
Fred

juri.f...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2015, 5:32:51 AM4/24/15
to next-phd...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I'm interested on the topics you proposed, in particular I'd like to have some lectures on Composite Higgs models and Extra dimensions.

Best,
Juri

Stefano Moretti

Jul 7, 2015, 5:05:19 PM7/7/15
to next-phd...@googlegroups.com

Prof Khalil will give his BSM lectures according
to the following schedule:

Monday 20 July from 2 to 4 pm

Tuesday 21 July from 2 to 4 pm

Wednesday  22 July from 2 to 4 pm

Thursday 23 July from 2 to 4 pm

Please watch this space for a ToC & resource links.

Stefano Moretti

Jul 8, 2015, 8:32:25 AM7/8/15
to next-phd...@googlegroups.com
Here is the ToC:

Lecture 1:  Bosonic String

Lecture 2:  Superstring

Lecture 3:  T- Duality

Lecture 4:  D-Brane and Gauge Theory.

Reference textbook:

An introduction to String Theory and D-Drane Dynamics

by Richard J Szabo