RAL Graduate Student Lectures

Stefano Moretti

Nov 12, 2014, 9:36:58 AM11/12/14
to next-phd...@googlegroups.com
This is just an heads-up that this year we will be importing the following modules from the RAL Graduate Student Lectures standard offering (see
http://www.stfc.ac.uk/PPD/seminars/23327.aspx):

1. Experimental Higgs Physics at the LHC: Searches & Measurements (Bill Murray)
2. FFAG Accelerators (Rob Edgecock)
3. Calorimeters (Dave Cockerill)
4. PID & DAQ (Monika Wielers)

These are primarily intended for NExT PhD students but are of course open to anybody interested. The plan is to have the lectures at RAL (schedule TBA) with the Soton students going up to the lab to attend them in person. If more students are interested and the logistics becomes difficult, we may broadcast them as well/instead.

Stefano Moretti

Nov 21, 2014, 1:45:33 PM11/21/14
to next-phd...@googlegroups.com
These have now been scheduled (4 & 11 Dec 2014). They are to be broadcast via Vidyo (the desktop version of which is available to all, ie, no CERN account required). However, we will try to import them into Visimeet too, so they can be followed from the SEPnet VC rooms. Please stay tuned.

Stefano Moretti

Feb 25, 2016, 4:04:11 PM2/25/16
to next-phd-lectures
This message is for the first year students (cohort 2015). Hussien has expressed interest in attending a remake of the RAL Graduate Student Lectures, see this thread for further details. I assume Alex & David are interested too. Anybody else? Please let me know, so I can contact Monika Wielers at RAL and hopefully convince her and her colleagues to delivered them again. Many thanks for a prompt response. S.

Dávid Englert

Feb 26, 2016, 9:12:42 AM2/26/16
to next-phd-lectures
Hi Stefano,

Yes, just to confirm, I am indeed interested in attending.

Cheers,
David

Stefano Moretti

Feb 29, 2016, 9:57:27 AM2/29/16
to next-phd-lectures
RAL-PPD confirm that they will run the lectures this year as well, over a 2-3 day period in a format and on topics similar to last year. If you wish to attend them, please engage with this forum and/or email me. SM.

Stefano Moretti

Apr 13, 2016, 10:05:12 AM4/13/16
to next-phd-lectures
The schedule of the RAL PPD Graduate Student Lectures is now confirmed as follows:

Wednesday, 4 May 2016
  • 14:00 15:00
    Introduction to FFAQ accelerators 1h
    Speaker: Rob Edgecock (STFC - Rutherford Appleton Lab. (GB))
  • 15:00 16:00
    Introduction to Calorimetry 1h
    Speaker: Dave Cockerill (STFC - Rutherford Appleton Lab. (GB))
  • 16:00 17:00
    Introduction to data acquisition systems 1h
    Speaker: Monika Wielers (RAL (UK))
Tuesday, 17 May 2016
  • 14:00 15:00
    Trigger 1h
    Speaker: Robin Middleton (STFC - Rutherford Appleton Lab. (GB))
  • 15:00 16:00
    Higgs Measurements at the LHC 1h
    Speaker: Bill Murray (University of Warwick (GB))
  • 16:00 17:00
    Particle Identification 1h
    Speaker: Monika Wielers (RAL (UK))

The reference website (where you can find info about the indico and Vidyo resources) is http://www.ppd.stfc.ac.uk/ppd/students/23327.aspx.

Five students are going for sure (M Chapman, D Englert, H Hadi, A Titterton, L Upton) and they have 2-3 cars between themselves so anybody interest to go with them to RAL, please just come forward.

Elena will shortly add the events to the NExT calendar and she will also arrange for a broadcast in our VC room if required.