I found the submarine!

emily nemens

Aug 17, 2008, 7:24:06 PM8/17/08
to New York Moon
Duke Riley's bandit submarine (as discussed at last Thursday's
meeting) will resurface at the Park Avenue Armory on Sept 21-27, as
part of Creative Time's Democracy in America/Convergence Center
exhibition. I have the Creative Time press release if y'all want more
details. Anyone want to work it into the Liquid issue?

Zack Sultan

Aug 18, 2008, 1:41:29 PM8/18/08
to newyo...@googlegroups.com
Hooray! Ryan, you're going to work on Duke Riley, right?
--
Zack Sultan
Design Director

Zack Sultan

Aug 18, 2008, 1:40:53 PM8/18/08
to newyo...@googlegroups.com
Hooray! Ryan, you're going to work on the Duke Riley, right?

Bradley Hope

Aug 19, 2008, 3:29:07 AM8/19/08
to newyo...@googlegroups.com
Also, we should try to do something / talk to Swoon

She is leading up a crew that are riding down the river on hand-made boats!

http://switchbacksea.org/

Peter K

Aug 24, 2008, 11:57:08 AM8/24/08
to newyo...@googlegroups.com
I think the "seas" of the moon could be incorporated into the design of the water/liquid edition, as far as reinvigorating the Map layout idea goes (I believe Zack wanted maps again). Astronomers of yesteryear believed they observed seas on the moon, so dubbed/latinized all the dark spots  "mare" this or that.  Modern astronomy claims these spots are the result of volcanic eruptions.  Since I generally forego all things modern, I side with the mages of centuries past and believe there are actual, navigable seas on the moon to this day.  Board the SS Moon. Reading Yukio Mishima's tetralogy Sea of Fertility (aka "Mare Foecunditatis") led me to this image....
600px-Moon_names.jpg

Alexandra Atiya

Aug 27, 2008, 8:34:37 PM8/27/08
to newyo...@googlegroups.com
I found some interesting things in a book called The Iconography of Manhattan Island. It's a multi-volume book with some history, early maps and prints depicting NY Harbor.

Does anyone else know this book? Would those images be useful?

It also says that when Stuyvesant first established government in 1652, "The jurisdiction of the burgomasters was fixed as 'between both rivers [Hudson and East Rivers] and as far as the Fresh Water.'"