Bradley

Jun 10, 2012, 3:10:22 AM6/10/12
to newyo...@googlegroups.com
I'm glad we've got this Moon group up and running, even if there was a secret, anti-spy mole in our midst. Now, that said agent of unknown conspiratorial, anti-Lunar group has dispatched herself, let us begin making our plans.

Here is a summary based on what everyone has said so far:

I agree that with David that we should return a bit more to our NYC roots.

1 Drones - They are all the rage and I can already imagine some amazing Zack Sultan illustrations for a drone project. One image that strikes me is drones flying over America, and NYC in particular. This hits on what Ryan also mentioned about the NYPD. I remember that they were even talking about getting access to drones for use in the city. Zack - do you think we could do an illustration project about the intrusion of drones in everyday life?

2 Photo project - I feel like we could marry the idea of a photo project with the call for Rear Window-style imagery. I'm not sure what that would look like yet, but I like the sound of it. Blaine, do you want to spend some time thinking about this and talking to some photographer friends?

Also, I'm a bit obsessed with this fashion photography technique that uses the long-forgotten animated GIFs. Do we have any idea how to do this?

3 Espionage and Architecture - I'm happy to work on this one myself, unless someone else is itching to do it. I want to find an architect to work with on designing a spy headquarters, discussing along the way the history of spying and structures. One thing I'm interested in is hotel lobbies - that's where it all goes down. Maybe for our time, the best spy headquarters is a network of hidden offices attached to hotel lobbies around the world. Cloud intelligence!

4 Interview with a grand spy - Vadim is looking into an interview with a well-known former spy, with a piece that would also talk about the Cold War and looking at espionage in a anthropological way.

5 Chunky Webster - I love the story of Alyssa's uncle, especially the image of him in the desert at the end of his life. I wholeheartedly think this is a perfect piece of Moonery.

6 David Sarnoff - hidden history of radio. I agree with Ryan that one of the Moon strongpoints is to dig out the forgotten past. We'd need to have it forward looking in some way. Ryan, let me know if you have any more ideas on how to do this?

7 Espionage literature - I also very much like the idea of looking at Somerset Maugham's early spy stories, but I'd also like it if a piece like this incorporates other examples of spy literature. What does the evolution over time from the gloomy, realistic stories to the action-sequence James Bond films tell us? Also, may I also recommend looking at "Tremor of Intent", by Anthony Burgess, which is one of the funnier books I've ever read.

We could also do a sidebar with this on great excerpts from spy lit.

I'm also intrigued by the corporate espionage thought and the various ideas about spy technology, but we need to flesh out clearer ideas on how to do them Moonishly.

Bradley

Jun 10, 2012, 3:11:15 AM6/10/12
to newyo...@googlegroups.com
Also, David, do you know if there are any relatives of the Rosenbergs out there? Or was there some important place / scene / that we could visit and "relive" somehow?

Bradley Hope

Jun 10, 2012, 3:32:01 AM6/10/12
to newyo...@googlegroups.com
Also, I highly recommend reading Ray Bradbury's account of visiting Disney Land, from October 1965.

Bradley Hope

The National - Cairo Correspondent

Mobile +20-1111-041-701

Fax +20-235-365-685

bh...@thenational.ae

Zack Sultan

Jun 10, 2012, 7:21:10 PM6/10/12
to newyo...@googlegroups.com
This is the makings of a great issue.

1. Drones

I'd absolutely love to work on some images of drones in daily life. I think the more quotidian and off-the-cuff the images are the better.

I'd actually be interested to work with a photographer on this, and help with compositing realistic model drones into everyday public and private scenarios. This could be very NYC centered.

2. Spy Dossier / Rear window photos

Just to note, the "cinemagram" technique is fairly easy to accomplish. There is an iphone app that does it, but I can also help with getting that effect with traditional camera photos shot in quick succession.

3. Architecture

Bradley, if you worked with an architect would he provide drawings? Literal blueprints would be great. Or maybe even a sketchup rendering. We could create a fly-through video.

4. Grand spy

Vadim, can you get a picture of the guy? An illustration could be great here, too.

5. Chunky Webster

So cool... you've got a photo of him in a cockpit, Alyssa?

I'd also be very interested to see or screen Faceless.

6. David Sarnoff
This could potentially dovetail with the current tech industry stuff. I can see what some of my co-workers think.

7. Espionage literature
If we're doing a review of the literature, we may want to include some cyberpunk-y descriptions of corporate espionage, William Gibson, Rudy Rucker, etc. Book covers are always good.

8. Corporate Espionage

One of the coolest places I've been recently was to a purpose-built datacenter in New Jersey, which was like Fort Knox for information. Millions of financial transactions pass through its infrastructure, daily. The level of security, countermeasures, and redundancy in this space was astonishing. It is the opposite of what Bradley is describing in his architectural piece, this was a building designed against any sort of data theft. One of the weirdest things was that each person entering was weighed at the airlock leading into the center. If the machine detected a difference in weight associated with their pass card, they were denied exit. Nothing could be stolen. A discussion of data centers could lead to some conjecture around the future of information security as a corollary to the overarching espionage theme.

Bradley, what were you thinking as far as timeframe? I'd be open to launching the issue with just a few pieces, and adding little by little. Our new format lends itself well to that.

Zack

Internet: zacksultan.com
Telephone: (917) 463-6885

David Chernicoff

Jun 10, 2012, 8:54:16 PM6/10/12
to newyo...@googlegroups.com
I know a guy who worked in corporate espionage for a while. (Zack, we went to high school with him.) I don't know if he can or would talk about his experiences, but he might--perhaps anonymously.

Also, hi everyone. I'm David. I went to high school with Zack. And a guy who did corporate espionage for a while.

Bradley

Jun 11, 2012, 11:00:08 AM6/11/12
to newyo...@googlegroups.com
I think we should try to get content finished within four weeks. I know it's a long stretch, but since we're just getting started up again I think we can grant ourselves some time. We should create a schedule for releasing stuff, with rolling deadlines.

Bradley Hope

The National - Cairo Correspondent

Mobile +20-1111-041-701

Fax +20-235-365-685

bh...@thenational.ae

Alyssa Moxley

Jul 19, 2012, 9:03:11 PM7/19/12
to newyo...@googlegroups.com
Hi there

I am checking in with Moon progress.  Just confirming I do have a picture of Chunky in the cockpit (self-portrait).

When is this edition going up?

Cheers

Alyssa

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/newyorkmoon/-/296LPhtPLuwJ.