Re: Digest for newyorkmoon@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic

Caitlin Miner-Le Grand

Jun 4, 2012, 2:15:07 PM6/4/12
to newyo...@googlegroups.com
Re: #2 - not domestic use, but still repurposed spy gear:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/05/science/space/repurposed-telescope-may-explore-secrets-of-dark-energy.html?hp

I also think it could be interesting to have something on corporate espionage - maybe the Ag Gag laws criminalizing false statements on any "agricultural production" job application (effectively preventing journalists from signing up to do inside stories about factory animal abuse) - or an inside account (possibly fictional) of being a corporate spy.

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 4:57 AM, <newyo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/newyorkmoon/topics

    Alexandra Atiya <a.a...@gmail.com> Jun 03 08:53AM -0400

    Hey,

    A few ideas for espionage theme

    1) An article about the Ashenden stories by W. Somerset Maugham. I've read
    that the Ashenden stories were the first spy stories to be written by
    someone who had actually been a spy.
    W. Somerset Maugham went on missions in Geneva and in Russia just before
    the Bolshevik revolution.
    His stories are exciting, but also gloomy. They have this feeling that his
    work was tedious or maybe even pointless, or that he was just a cog in a
    machine, not anything heroic. It could be interesting to write something
    about how that influenced later spy stories.

    2) A visual section showing different technologies originally developed
    for espionage purposes that have now branched out and have become common in
    everyday domestic life.
    But the only examples I can think of are military technologies, not spy
    technologies. So I would need others' suggestions for this one.

    3) Some kind of diagram showing the places in the day where you are
    watched, the amount of information about you that can be reconstructed from
    your everyday activities.

    4) An essay on the difference between privacy and secrecy

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group newyorkmoon.
You can post via email.
To unsubscribe from this group, send an empty message.
For more options, visit this group.

Owen Mundy

Jun 24, 2012, 4:17:05 PM6/24/12
to newyo...@googlegroups.com
Howdy,

Excited for this issue as this is a subject I am exploring myself through writing and projects. I have been working with themes in surveillance for some time. Especially interested in a history of surveillance devices. I lived in Berlin last year and visited the Stasi museum which contains a great many fun inventions for spying on one's neighbor. My favorite was a camera embedded in a watering can; imagine your Oma, lifting the can just over the hedges and snapping away and the untidy and suspect folks next door. I have many photographs of these as well as some data which contextualizes Facebook within this history:
http://owenmundy.com/blog/2011/04/talk-at-daad-meeting-in-dresden-germany/

Also thought I would share some examples to see if there are any intersections with my own work...

In 2009 I programmed Give Me My Data http://givememydata.com which helps people export their data back *out* of Facebook. While clearly utilitarian, this project intervenes into online user experiences, provoking users to take a critical look at their interactions within social networking websites. It suggests data is tangible and challenges users to think about ways in which their information is used for purposes outside of their control by government or corporate entities.

I'm also generally interested in the process of making visible that which is not. Specifically, in visualizing networks of power. For example Marc Lombardi's work creating network drawings showing powerful relationships https://www.google.com/search?q=Marc%20Lombardi
My work takes a similar attitude, turning surveillance back against the hierarchy. Like this project where I collected data about the military industrial academic complex in San Diego and revealed it in the form of a National Park:
http://owenmundy.com/site/camp-la-jolla
I did the same later through automated means.
http://owenmundy.com/site/firing-blind
And sometimes my results question the effectiveness of the network graph as a solution at all.
http://owenmundy.com/site/i-am-unable

Finally, another fun tidbit of anti-surveillance turned-up while I was in Berlin; the blurred images of German buildings whose owners have chosen to opt-out of Google Street View. Here's a bit of info which could be expanded.
http://owenmundy.com/blog/2010/11/germany-and-google-street-view/

All best,

Owen Mundy