the detective's handbook

Charlie Sneath

Jun 11, 2012, 9:04:54 AM6/11/12
to newyo...@googlegroups.com
Just wanted to share something that was really a big part of my interest / intrigue with spying and espionage as a kid. I somehow ended up getting my hands on a copy of The Detective's Handbook and was obsessed with it for a while.

It's written for kids, but goes through all of the classic spy stuff like setting up a stakeout, looking for clues, and detecting false disguises with fantastic illustrations. Definitely went hand in hand with watching James Bond movies and heist flicks like Oceans' 11.

Very interesting how my innocent impressions of the world of espionage have probably been shaped by that book, while others have such a strong aversion anything espionage related. Spying never held that negative connotation for me, amazing to have not considered the dark flip-side until seeing some of these discussions.

PK

Jun 24, 2012, 10:58:44 PM6/24/12
to newyo...@googlegroups.com
I spy this movie... when reminiscing about growing up in the cold war reagan 80s
http://www.threesorryboys.com/cloak_dagger_article.html
desensitizing starts early.