Empire State Development can lend 40% of buyout costs

Joe Marraffino

Apr 18, 2022, 3:36:36 PM4/18/22
to New York Cooperative network
Hi NYS list,

In a recent conversation with someone at Empire State Development they lifted up the Employee Ownership Assistance section of the NYS Job Development Authority. In brief, when an employee association is acquiring a manufacturing plant that is at risk of closing or relocating, they would participate in up to 40% of the buyout costs. Verbally they told me that employees would need to  contribute 10%, and that interest rates are currently below 4%. The legislative rationale is to stem unemployment and keep jobs rooted in NYS.

Has anyone used or explored using this with ESD?  It is referred to as dormant in this 2017 article, around the time the State passed the Promoting Employee-Owned Businesses Act.  But it seems to be alive from ESD's perspective.

Joe

Angela D.

Apr 19, 2022, 11:31:10 AM4/19/22
to New York Cooperative network
I haven't. I just forwarded to the folks at The Working World (and suggested they hop on this list if they aren't already).
Angela

Tammy Shapiro

Apr 19, 2022, 3:22:51 PM4/19/22
to Angela D., New York Cooperative network
Hi All,

I don't know about this, but I do know that Senator Jamal Bailey is pushing a bill to make even more funding available to converting businesses through  Empire State Development.  As far as I know, it has not passed the Assembly yet, but it did pass the senate.  It passed in past years, but Cuomo didn't sign it.

Not sure that helps at all.

Best,
Tammy

Tamara Shapiro She/Her/Hers

Rebecca Lurie

Apr 19, 2022, 5:29:13 PM4/19/22
to Tammy Shapiro, Rebecca Lurie, Angela D., New York Cooperative network
I asked a few peeps in Albany who do workforce and econ dev. Let's find out!
Rebecca