incorporation

Drew Langdon

Dec 17, 2021, 12:18:38 PM12/17/21
to newyorkco...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone filed a cooperative corporation with the state recently? We just had our application rejected because we didn't use a form specific to cooperative law. But were also told that the state doesn't actually have a form for that purpose and that we'd have to draft our own. Very frustrating.

Drew Langdon
Anyone's Cafe

Frank Cetera

Dec 17, 2021, 1:54:57 PM12/17/21
to New York Cooperative network
Two years ago was the most recent and it was for a retail consumer co-op.  We had to resubmit three times until it was "just right" for them, because you're right, there is no specific standard form for it.  Let me drag that out and see if I can get it to you as an example.

~ Frank

Cheyenna Weber

Dec 17, 2021, 2:00:45 PM12/17/21
to Frank Cetera, New York Cooperative network
About to go through this with a group. Would love to see examples others have used.

I'd also love to hear from anybody who knows how such decisions about which form to use are made in the bureaucracy and what avenues there might be for us to collectively challenge them to simplify it to a single form.

***
Cheyenna Layne Weber
she/her (Why pronouns?)
Cell: 917-319-1976
Twitter: @cheyennaweber

All of the US is built on stolen Native land. Support the Native communities who make NYC home: mannahattafund.org

Hudsy TV

Dec 18, 2021, 9:52:05 AM12/18/21
to New York Cooperative network
We are based in NY and are a multi-stakeholder cooperative. We ended up registering in CO (NY does not recognize multi-stakeholder cooperatives) as an LCA (Limited Cooperative Association) with a separate LLC. The only member of the LLC is the LCA. We registered the LLC in NY as a foreign entity able to do business in NY. The LLC is considered a "disregarded entity" even though all of our business is done through it, and the taxes are done through the LCA (through Subchapter T). Linda Phillips from Jason Wiener PC's firm is who coordinated all of that with/for us. I hope any of that is helpful!