New Dhapa at AA-III?

A vick, Pune

Apr 1, 2014, 10:43:55 PM4/1/14
to newtown-raja...@googlegroups.com

Does anybody know where exactly the new Dhapa site planned in AA-III? I just hope it is not near any residential area (plot/complex).......

Kolkata Municipal Corporation waste disposal system to go hi-tech

TNN | Mar 30, 2014, 01.58AM IST
KOLKATA: Kolkata Municipal Corporation authorities will write to the state Housing & Infrastructure Development Corporation (HIDCO) to give an additional 10 acres adjacent to a 20 acre plot in action area III of Rajarhat-New Town for construction of Eastern India's most modern sanitary landfill for garbage disposal.

Unable to build a second garbage disposal ground at Dhapa for want of space, the KMC had asked for the 20 acre land from HIDCO for construction of the second dumping ground in Rajarhat. In fact, the Union urban development department officials had twice rejected a Rs 100 crore solid waste modernization proposal from the KMC on the ground that the civic body had failed to build a second dumping ground with sanitary landfill facility in past 10 years.

Now, with JNNURM sanctioning a whopping Rs 152 crore for city's waste collection and disposal management, civic officials are burning midnight oil to prepare a detailed project report for the landfill site at Rajarhat. The project has to be complete by the next 18 months failing which the Centre would not release funds.

The modernization of city's primary garbage collection, transportation will run parallel to the construction of the sanitary landfill site at Rajarhat. The deadline for both the project, 18 months. Once the garbage collection and transportation project is implemented, there will be as many as 78 modern garbage transfer stations — located at vantage points of the city — fitted with modern vehicles and equipment. These stations will replace all open vats in the city. Among city's 150 vats, around 80 are large and garbage spillsover into roads as most of these are withered. Currently, there are five such stations, one each at Kalighat, Southern Avenue, Ballygunge Circular Road, Tallah, Chetla and on Samsul Huda Road. This apart, the civic body will buy movable compactors for loading garbage direct from multi storeyed buildings across the city. Besides, battery operated vans will be bought and pressed into service in different localities "We decided to buy 100 movable compactors which will carry city's garbage to the dumping ground. Once we set up compactor stations to replace vats, we will also be able to replace rickety lorries by these movable compactors which transport wastes to the dumping ground," said Debabrata Majumdar, the member,mayor-in-council overseeing the KMC solid waste management departmen