Suchitra Statue in Newtown Wax Museum

A vick, Pune

Jan 19, 2014, 10:37:29 PM1/19/14
to newtown-raja...@googlegroups.com
KOLKATA: Prodded by chief minister Mamata Banerjee, the Housing Infrastructure Development Corporation (Hidco) will soon start the groundwork for setting up the city's first wax museum in Rajarhat New Town. Modelled on Madame Tussauds London wax museum, the one coming up at Rajarhat will have a dozen of life-size statues. And it has almost been decided that Suchitra Sen will find a prominent place in the exclusive gallery.

After Suchitra's demise on Friday, the government had announced its decision to rename Ballygunge Phari as Suchitra Sen Square and also proposed to rename Ballygunge Circular Road after her.

Recently, the chief minister had laid the foundation stone for the museum that will come up on around 5,000-sq ft of area on the sixth floor of the Finance Centre Building opposite Eco Park. "Inspired by Madame Tussauds, we are creating our own to allow photo opportunity to visitors," Mamata had posted on her Facebook account recently.

Hidco authorities confirmed that the wax museum will be opened to the public by this year-end. "We intend to complete work by this Puja," said Hidco chairman-cum-managing director Debashis Sen.

The museum will have both famous personalities from all fields. The authorities will be inviting sculptors and artists for coming up with life-size statues of luminaries.