TCS - Rajarhat

Rana Bose

Dec 5, 2013, 7:39:16 PM12/5/13
to Neela Chacko, Devjit Basu, Phanibhusan Basu, misti

6000 jobs on TCS Rajarhat first list

SHAOLI CHAKRABARTY
Bengal IT and industries minister Partha Chatterjee delivers the inaugural address at Infocom in Calcutta on Thursday. Picture by Pradip Sanyal

Calcutta, Dec. 5: TCS, India’s biggest IT firm, will commission the first phase of its new campus in Rajarhat within the next three months and hire 6,000 professionals.

“Our investment in Rajarhat is on track. We will have the first phase commencing its first operations by March 2014. Initially, what comes out in March will be a smaller version and two to three months later, the rest will come up. We will hire 6,000 in the first phase,” said Ajoyendra Mukherjee, executive vice-president and global head (human resources), TCS.

Mukherjee was speaking on the sidelines of the 12th edition of Infocom, an initiative of the ABP Group which publishes The Telegraph, that started today in Calcutta.

Bengal IT and industries minister Partha Chatterjee, who inaugurated the conclave of IT and telecom professionals, said clearances would be given within 21 days for new industrial units that did not require field verification. (See Business)

Mukherjee, the TCS human resources chief, said the company would recruit around 25,000 IT persons across India, including Bengal.

“We are already visiting colleges in and around Calcutta and these are for purely technical jobs. They (the new recruits) will join us June-July onwards for the next fiscal (2014-15). The recruitments will be over by January (2014),” Mukherjee said.

TCS will invest Rs 1,350 crore in the Rajarhat facility, which will be a special economic zone. The new campus will focus on infrastructure, engineering, BPO and consultancy.

Spread across 40 acres, the proposed development centre will be completed in two phases and is expected to eventually create employment opportunities for 16,500.

The second-phase construction will draw to an end in the fourth quarter of the next fiscal (early 2015).

The plot was handed over to the company in 2006 when the Left Front was in power. TCS had applied for SEZ status soon after and received the nod in 2009.

Minister Chatterjee highlighted the upcoming TCS project at Rajarhat along with a new campus of ITC Infotech.

While TCS stayed on course, another top IT investor in Bengal sought the government’s help to resolve a problem at the Bantala IT SEZ.

“We have large plans to expand in Bantala. But we have an issue there in terms of pollution. We have taken it up with the government and they have assured (us) of action. The faster the issue is cleared, the faster we will grow,” said Lakshmi Narayanan, the vice-chairman of Cognizant.