Has anyone noticed the 'track changes' coming through?

Madox

Jul 12, 2013, 7:12:12 PM7/12/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
The strike-through when the RSS post gets updated, is it a Newsblur feature?

Scott Fringer

Jul 12, 2013, 7:14:09 PM7/12/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

Yes it is. Know you can turn it off in the Web interface; not sure if that carries too mobile clients.

On Jul 12, 2013 7:12 PM, "Madox" <mado...@gmail.com> wrote:
The strike-through when the RSS post gets updated, is it a Newsblur feature?

Madox

Jul 12, 2013, 7:15:20 PM7/12/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
"

Alan J Robertson

Jul 12, 2013, 7:18:50 PM7/12/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Yep it can be switched off on the website but not yet on the API.

On 13 July 2013 00:12, Madox <mado...@gmail.com> wrote:
The strike-through when the RSS post gets updated, is it a Newsblur feature?

Sent by Alan J Robertson (a...@alanjrobertson.co.uk)
Tel: +44 (0)7939-558-403

Travis Tabbal

Jul 13, 2013, 1:14:16 AM7/13/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I saw Samuel's message. The thing is, we don't really parse the html like that. I'll look at it, I think I can do most of it with regex.

It's an interesting feature, but I think overall it's more trouble than it's worth. I wish they would just add a flag to the API to turn it off.

MattW

Jul 14, 2013, 2:22:43 AM7/14/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for mentioning this, i did notice a lot more text with strike-thru and wondered about it... Good to know that's what this was. Now to go find out how to turn it off ;)

Matt

P.s. also, thanks for trying to replicate my 'mark all as read' issue, strange.... but ignorable

Madox

Jul 14, 2013, 4:10:59 AM7/14/13
to new...@googlegroups.com, tra...@tabbal.net

On Saturday, 13 July 2013 15:14:16 UTC+10, Travis Tabbal wrote:
Yeah, I saw Samuel's message. The thing is, we don't really parse the html like that. I'll look at it, I think I can do most of it with regex.

I now feel really silly for missing "travistabbal commented" or failing to link travistabbal and Travis Tabbal :P
It's an interesting feature, but I think overall it's more trouble than it's worth. I wish they would just add a flag to the API to turn it off.

Definitely, in the old Google Reader the feed would stay as the first fetched and you notice differences when you went to the target webpage.  I'm curious - what are the reasons for a refetch?  Why does Newsblur bother at all to refetch if Google never bothered... I rather see the original copy in almost all instances.

Mark Otway

Jul 14, 2013, 4:46:12 AM7/14/13
to Newsrob Group

Well, often bloggers update their stories to add extra info or correct mistakes once they've been published. They also retract dumb or stupid things. I like it, as it means you don't miss out on those dumb things.

See the recent exchange on twitter between Marco Arment and Samuel Clay (Newsblur's owner) for an example.

Samuel Clay

Jul 16, 2013, 12:35:31 PM7/16/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Yup, track changes is one of NewsBlur's distinguishing features. Takes a ton of processing work to accomplish, too. But it's what I wanted in my reader, so I built it.

Alan J Robertson

Jul 16, 2013, 1:18:04 PM7/16/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much for developing Newsblur, Samuel - a total saviour for post-Google Reader!  I can appreciate the benefits of tracked changes but is there any possibility of having an API call that would allow this to be displayed/not displayed (as there is in the web interface)?

Cheers

Alan :-)

Samuel Clay

Jul 16, 2013, 1:19:50 PM7/16/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately not, as it would break a bunch of existing clients. The CSS for del's and ins's seems to work fine everywhere else, including the official NewsBlur Android app.

Mark Otway

Jul 17, 2013, 2:28:55 PM7/17/13
to Newsrob Group

Hey Samuel,

Nice work. And great to see the combination of Newsblur and NewsRob - oops, I mean GrazeRSS. Awesome combo.

Mariano Kamp

Jul 18, 2013, 4:36:36 AM7/18/13
to NewsRob User Group
Travis,

I don't think it would be necessary to change the content during import. The CSS could be added directly when displaying the article as is done for the dark/light theme.

https://github.com/marianokamp/newsrob/blob/master/app/src/com/newsrob/activities/ShowArticleActivity.java#L1443

I love seeing the diffs. If you want to make it an option, think about what other option you could get rid of to keep the universe balanced ;)

Travis Tabbal

Jul 18, 2013, 9:31:49 AM7/18/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Mariano. I'll keep that in mind. I wouldn't want any unbalanced universes on my conscience. :)

I thought I remembered seeing some CSS being injected in there. Thanks for the link.