OSS Beta 7

Travis Tabbal

Jul 6, 2013, 3:16:25 AM7/6/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
OK... This is more like it. NewsBlur added a nice method so I can grab just the articles I need, not wade through the mess throwing away data I didn't want anyway. :) Delta syncing is much faster and more accurate as a result. Even the initial sync is faster now as I can download up to 100 stories at a time, instead of 12.

I'm pretty sure I killed the "top_level" folder as well... At least it worked on my wife's account. Mine doesn't show it, even after using the official client, go figure. Again, try clearing the cache and resyncing if you have it with a prior version.

NewsRob-OSS-Beta7.apk

Bill

Jul 6, 2013, 3:40:47 AM7/6/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

Dear Travis,

With new Beta 7 build I get the following error. My loin credentials are correct since they worked for the previous Betas and work on Newsblur web site.

! Login Error

There has been a problem while logging you in.

/n(class com.newsrob.

AuthenticationFailed Exception)

Cheers, Bill

Bill

Jul 6, 2013, 4:01:31 AM7/6/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

Dear Travis,

For reasons unknown to me, the login now works. Must have been a Newsblur problem.

Cheers, Bill

Alan J Robertson

Jul 6, 2013, 4:10:52 AM7/6/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, did a clear cache and the top_level folder has gone :-)

The only other thing I noticed with beta 6 (haven't seen if any diff in 7 yet) is that in some articles I see underlined and strikethrough text, which seems to be where the post has been amended since publication by the author. Switching to web view doesn't show it. Not sure if it's a Newsblur thing?

A.

On 6 Jul 2013 08:16, "Travis Tabbal" <tra...@tabbal.net> wrote:
OK... This is more like it. NewsBlur added a nice method so I can grab just the articles I need, not wade through the mess throwing away data I didn't want anyway. :) Delta syncing is much faster and more accurate as a result. Even the initial sync is faster now as I can download up to 100 stories at a time, instead of 12.

I'm pretty sure I killed the "top_level" folder as well... At least it worked on my wife's account. Mine doesn't show it, even after using the official client, go figure. Again, try clearing the cache and resyncing if you have it with a prior version.

Alan J Robertson

Jul 6, 2013, 6:00:09 AM7/6/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

Also noticed another thing. I've got about 20 old starred items, some dating back a couple of years! I've unstarred them and forced a sync. They seem to then disappear before reappearing again as starred. Is this just a glitch because they're so old? Presumably if so the unstarring on the Newsblur web interface should do it??

A.

Alan J Robertson

Jul 6, 2013, 6:03:06 AM7/6/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

Hmm apparently it's not just related to older articles! Have just tried starring a new one, syncing, then unstarring, resyncing - it remains starred!

A.

Mark Otway

Jul 6, 2013, 7:37:02 AM7/6/13
to Newsrob Group

Nice!

On 6 Jul 2013 08:16, "Travis Tabbal" <tra...@tabbal.net> wrote:
OK... This is more like it. NewsBlur added a nice method so I can grab just the articles I need, not wade through the mess throwing away data I didn't want anyway. :) Delta syncing is much faster and more accurate as a result. Even the initial sync is faster now as I can download up to 100 stories at a time, instead of 12.

I'm pretty sure I killed the "top_level" folder as well... At least it worked on my wife's account. Mine doesn't show it, even after using the official client, go figure. Again, try clearing the cache and resyncing if you have it with a prior version.

Travis Tabbal

Jul 6, 2013, 11:34:22 AM7/6/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

I'm pretty sure that is newsblur. They have an option in the Web UI to disable that, but I don't see one in the api. I'll try asking them about it.

Travis Tabbal

Jul 6, 2013, 11:35:24 AM7/6/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

Weird. I'll check it out. Thanks!

Alan J Robertson

Jul 6, 2013, 11:35:35 AM7/6/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Ahh - thanks.  It's not a showstopper but would be nice to switch it off if I could!  I've found quite a few of my feeds now need to be done via simplified web page anywayy so it's not an issue for them, but would be handy for the others that can still be accessed normally.

A.
Sent by Alan J Robertson (a...@alanjrobertson.co.uk)
Tel: +44 (0)7939-558-403

Alan J Robertson

Jul 6, 2013, 11:45:56 AM7/6/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
PS FWIW, just checked the web interface and my preference on there is already set to "Hide changes and only show the final story".

Hopefully you see the same starring behaviour as me!  Certainly the more recent test story that I starred is showing up as 'saved' on the Newsblur site so it definitely seems to be syncing the starring, if not the unstarring!  I've tried unstarring a few articles on the web interface - they no longer show up there however they're still showing in NR despite manual syncing.  I'm not sure how long it takes to update??   I'd actually forgotten how many I'd starred - 57 in total (although only 47 are syncing to NR despite me upping the starred sync limit), however lots are from 2010/2011 and I'll probably get rid of a lot of them!

A.

Travis Tabbal

Jul 6, 2013, 3:17:45 PM7/6/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

Yes, I'm able to reproduce the un starring issue. It was working both from NR & NB. I haven't changed that code, but there are some other changes in the sync workflow that could contribute to it. I hope to get some time to work on it soon. It should sync the star state quite quickly, it was pretty much instant before.

Alan J Robertson

Jul 6, 2013, 3:37:58 PM7/6/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Great, glad you can reproduce it :D  I've checked a couple of hours later than the articles unstarred on the NB website are still showing in NR.  Other articles seem to have now synced.

A.

SamiUSMC

Jul 6, 2013, 9:44:01 PM7/6/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
It looks good. The annoying top folder is gone. There's one problem I've experienced with all the Beta builds. When I turn off the phone, put a fresh battery in and power it on, NewsRob always crashes on start up and I get an error message and a log to email. I've emailed the log but I don't know if you're getting the email or if it's still going to Mariano

SamiUSMC

Jul 6, 2013, 9:44:01 PM7/6/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

Travis Tabbal

Jul 6, 2013, 11:06:55 PM7/6/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

I think it's going to Mariano. I'll see if I can send it to me instead. I'm not seeing a crash on boot, so a log would be helpful.

On Jul 6, 2013 7:44 PM, "SamiUSMC" <samish...@gmail.com> wrote:
It looks good. The annoying top folder is gone. There's one problem I've experienced with all the Beta builds. When I turn off the phone, put a fresh battery in and power it on, NewsRob always crashes on start up and I get an error message and a log to email. I've emailed the log but I don't know if you're getting the email or if it's still going to Mariano

SamiUSMC

Jul 6, 2013, 11:10:15 PM7/6/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Let me know how I can get the log to you. Just to clarify, it doesn't crash on boot per se, it only happens when I do a battery swap.