OSS Cross plattform

johannes amorosa

Jul 15, 2013, 7:33:54 AM7/15/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I got myself a Blackberry Q10. On the BB site it says it's a question
of "minutes" to port an android app to BB10. I doubt that. Can someone
give an estimate if this is a reasonable way to go? And if anyone is interested?
Johannes

Mark Otway

Jul 15, 2013, 1:14:24 PM7/15/13
to Newsrob Group

Really? Why would anyone bother supporting a dead platform by a zombie company? ;-)

johannes amorosa

Jul 15, 2013, 3:56:56 PM7/15/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
I would bother.

I don't care - I like the q10 device. So I bought one. Cross plattforming an app is
generally a good discipline. Ubuntu mobile, Firefox OS, Meego, Sailfish ...
probably boils down to html5+js apps. Diversity is always good.

Don't want to fuel a flamewar. There is plenty of things on android that give me the
creeps like new moto-x/google glass features: always listening to you.

However I need a rss reader for my device. Maybe somebody here tried a similar task already porting
android apps to bb10. I'm a programmer but not experienced in java mobile apps.

Johannes

Travis Tabbal

Jul 15, 2013, 4:13:15 PM7/15/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
I can't think of anything special in NR that would prevent a port to another OS. However, as I do not have an BB10 device, I can't test or support it, so I can't do it. I also have enough on my plate right now. :)

As for HTML5/JS.... I'm not interested in going there. If Facebook can't make it work with all their resources, I don't want to bother. And I despise working on JS code. Such an irritating language.

Mariano Kamp

Jul 18, 2013, 9:41:10 AM7/18/13
to NewsRob User Group

I once "ported" the old NewsRob to BB.

It was literally minutes. Mostly using their web based tools to migrate the apk and some web forms to register the developer and app. As far as I remember. Could be done by anybody. Doesn't need Travis' attention.
Written on a mobile device

Travis Tabbal

Jul 18, 2013, 10:46:18 AM7/18/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Interesting. I have an old account for BB stuff... If it still works, I might be able to try it later. Other priorities for now. :)

johannes amorosa

Aug 3, 2013, 4:29:39 AM8/3/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Hi Travis,
did you have a chance to look into this?
TY
JA
Johannes Amorosa | chat with me: j...@reh.re (xmpp) | mobil +49 163 361 1807 | skype johannes.amorosa

Travis Tabbal

Aug 3, 2013, 7:55:18 PM8/3/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

Still working on getting the release out to the app store. That should be soon. Perhaps after that. I have no way to test it though, so I'm hesitant to release anything for blackberry. I'll see if their emulator is good enough to test on. With that and some users willing to help test it might be possible.

Rod Nayfield

Aug 3, 2013, 8:20:52 PM8/3/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
To do this, we'd need somebody who has a blackberry and light dev skills to volunteer as the blackberry "port maintainer" and publish to blackberry's store.

It probably doesn't require full-fledged development skills - in theory having the android sdk installed plus the .apk is enough - if everything graze uses is implemented in their runtime.  The port maintainer would also probably field any feedback from blackberry users and triage them to grazerss issues or blackberry-specific.  It would require ongoing effort to keep the BB published version in sync with the official APKs from Travis.

johannes amorosa

Aug 9, 2013, 7:25:12 AM8/9/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
I installed the blackberry qt sdk on my linux box. I have programming experience but not with android/blackberry/java. On top
of it I have a blackberry q10 and would love to use the new newsrob.

I have very limited time but I could give it a try. How can I get the source code.
Johannes

Travis Tabbal

Aug 9, 2013, 10:50:32 AM8/9/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Feel free to give it a go. :)

https://github.com/travistabbal/GrazeRSS

Have you tried their emulator? If it doesn't suck too badly, I might be able to use that to test on. The Android one is really slow, I really should experiment with it more to see if I can speed it up.