The name/logo thread

Mark Otway

Jul 2, 2013, 2:57:34 PM7/2/13
to Newsrob Group

;-)

I'll start the bidding with "Newsync RSS", focusing on news and the offline capabilities.

Travis Tabbal

Jul 2, 2013, 3:03:14 PM7/2/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Not bad. :)

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Mark Otway <ma...@otway.com> wrote:

;-)

I'll start the bidding with "Newsync RSS", focusing on news and the offline capabilities.

Alan J Robertson

Jul 2, 2013, 3:03:23 PM7/2/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
How about TravSync? ;-))

A.

On 2 July 2013 19:57, Mark Otway <ma...@otway.com> wrote:

;-)

I'll start the bidding with "Newsync RSS", focusing on news and the offline capabilities.

Sent by Alan J Robertson (a...@alanjrobertson.co.uk)
Tel: +44 (0)7939-558-403

Travis Tabbal

Jul 2, 2013, 3:22:52 PM7/2/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
LOL

I think that's a little much. :)

Alan J Robertson

Jul 2, 2013, 3:24:30 PM7/2/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Haha just couldn't resist!  Mark's idea is pretty good TBH.  Although it could be NewsSync to emphasise News over New...

Sadly I'm rubbish at graphic design but agree it'd be nice to keep the orange RSS element in there somewhere.

A.

Travis Tabbal

Jul 2, 2013, 3:30:04 PM7/2/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
I like NewsSync.... that's a good one. I have a graphic designer willing to help out..... I like the idea of trying to keep the RSS icon in there, kind of a nice extra.

I'll give it till tomorrow to see if anyone comes up with a name we like better. I don't want to wait too long, there's a bit to do before I can get everything changed over.

Mark Otway

Jul 2, 2013, 4:18:28 PM7/2/13
to Newsrob Group

Yep. It's better than my other suggestion: RSS Hole. ;-)

Alan J Robertson

Jul 2, 2013, 4:20:19 PM7/2/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

Haha yeah not sure Google would jump for that name in the Play Store!

A.

PS like your world domination of Android idea in the other thread :-)

hplg...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2013, 4:24:54 PM7/2/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
copy/paste from the text of a recent posting.
i guess the paragraph fits better in this thread.

<<<
unfortunately the newsrob name & logo will be gone.
liked the logo because it was simple and descriptive.
the blue little book that indicates local storage and/or reading.
the variation of the orange rss-symbol, that showed a little face reading the book.
very classy and simple.
i would at least suggest to integrate some variation of the orange rss-symbol into the new logo and keep it simple.

Travis Tabbal

Jul 2, 2013, 4:40:42 PM7/2/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure I want to see logo suggestions for RSS Hole.... lol

Thanks for all the feedback and encouragement.

I like that NewsSync keeps things simple and direct, I'm planning to keep the logo pretty basic as well. Once the name is settled, I'll probably start new mailing lists and get an update out with the change and hopefully a few fixes.

Travis Tabbal

Jul 3, 2013, 5:10:58 PM7/3/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
NewsSync has a few other projects/products using the same name..... None seem to be on Android, but I'd hate to confuse people. I hate naming things. :)

Nelson Ricciardi

Jul 3, 2013, 5:32:32 PM7/3/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
SyncNews?

Alan J Robertson

Jul 3, 2013, 6:56:45 PM7/3/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

Ermm...

SyncFeed?
SyncMyNews?
SyncMyFeeds?

Just some random ideas!

A.

Murray Love

Jul 3, 2013, 7:05:47 PM7/3/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
To maintain some naming continuity (if legally permitted), how about NewsOrb?  (NewsBro?) SyncRob?  SyncOrb?  And so on.

Mark Otway

Jul 4, 2013, 3:39:28 AM7/4/13
to Newsrob Group

I think Mariano has requested a clean break, so we probably don't want to go down that route.

Peter Riocreux

Jul 4, 2013, 4:42:52 AM7/4/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Feeder?

Mark Otway

Jul 4, 2013, 4:45:09 AM7/4/13
to Newsrob Group

Nice. Be surprised if it's not already taken though.

Well fed? Logo could be a picture of a doughnut. ;-)

Peter Riocreux

Jul 4, 2013, 5:07:25 AM7/4/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Forgot about the band called Feeder, but that seems to be the only thing prominent in a quick google.

Peter Riocreux

Jul 4, 2013, 5:10:18 AM7/4/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Oh, *now* have found that there is a mac app for RSS reading called Feeder.

Doh!

I like WellFed though

What about something tapping into the fact that you can distribute your consumption on different plattforms - maybe Grazer, GrazeFeed, ...

Pete

Jay Carlson

Jul 4, 2013, 8:32:09 AM7/4/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
I registered feedupdated.com if we want it. Styled "FeedUpdated" or "Feed Updated" and probably pronounced "Feed, Updated". It's actually a reference to the Atom element atom:feed>updated.

Jay

Mark Otway

Jul 4, 2013, 9:46:00 AM7/4/13
to Newsrob Group

I like Grazer or graze feeder (or even GrazeRSS) . Fits with the current trend for startup name and has lots of potential for icons/logos.

Mark Otway

Jul 4, 2013, 9:47:49 AM7/4/13
to Newsrob Group

GrazeRSS.com is currently available to register....

Mark Otway

Jul 4, 2013, 9:49:20 AM7/4/13
to Newsrob Group

Liking that more and more actually. Plays on graze rss, Grazers, could be quite neat.

Peter Riocreux

Jul 4, 2013, 9:58:55 AM7/4/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Don't we these days have to change it to Grazr or Grzr or something?

Tim Richardson

Jul 4, 2013, 10:26:31 AM7/4/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
The best name for an RSS reader I've used was 'RSS Bandit'.
Thanks

Tim Richardson

Mark Otway

Jul 4, 2013, 1:57:01 PM7/4/13
to Newsrob Group

Heh. Fnarr.

Jay Carlson

Jul 4, 2013, 3:05:49 PM7/4/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
On Jul 4, 2013, at 1:57 PM, Mark Otway wrote:

> Heh. Fnarr.
>
> On 4 Jul 2013 17:58, "Tim Richardson" <t...@potton.me.uk> wrote:
> The best name for an RSS reader I've used was 'RSS Bandit'.

This is much funnier in British English than American English. :-)

christophe...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2013, 12:55:46 PM7/5/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
How about NewsGoblin or RSSGoblin?  There are lots of fun themes and references to it "Goblin your feeds".

-Topher

matt.an...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2013, 1:29:40 PM7/5/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

at first I was going to suggest that the offline aspect be included in the name, but on second thought,
as long as it is in the app description so it shows up in a search for "offline news" that should be enough...

so I'll offer some brainstorming here...

news + (something that rhymes with news)

such as:

news shoes
news stews
news whose
news blues
news clues
news zoos
news flues
news accrues
news brews
news glues

or

feed stampede

feed knead
feed freed
feed creed
feed schmeade
feed deed

RSS obsess
RSS possess
RSS egress / noblesse /  success /  caress

ok, creative types, that should get your juices flowin'  ;)

M@

Mark Otway

Jul 5, 2013, 3:20:39 PM7/5/13
to Newsrob Group

I still prefer graze rss, and the domain is free....

Chad Johnson

Jul 5, 2013, 5:30:02 PM7/5/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
And Grazers(s) reminds of the Honor Harrington Series...

Can we call it Grazers?

--Chad
-------------------------

ndev...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2013, 8:49:27 AM7/6/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
NewsBob ?

crgeo...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2013, 8:06:33 PM7/8/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
I’m wondering if the name should include “Open” to clearly designate that it’s open-source. I tend to look for OSS as one of the first criteria I use when comparing similar solutions. If it’s not part of the name, then I’d suggest that it’s prominent in the description.

There are a handful of other somewhat current OSS RSS clients for Android, including FeedEx, Spare RSS, and Tiny Tiny RSS. The later requires their backend that you must support yourself, which will limit who can use it. The others don’t work with a backend aggregator at all – something that I didn’t think was a big deal until I discovered how helpful it was with Google Reader. I don’t think the first two support offline mode.

1.) Open source, 2.) multiple (eventually) backend support, and 3.) offline mode are three desirable attributes that differentiates this solution from all the others.

Thanks Mariano for such a good product and making the decision you did so that Travis and hopefully soon other coders can continue the legacy.

Mark Otway

Jul 9, 2013, 4:12:54 AM7/9/13
to Newsrob Group

I disagree. Trying to encompass the features of an app in its name is a PR disaster. We'd end up with OpenOfflineSyncReader or something equally inane and meaningless. Adding any sort of logo is going to be difficult for such a generic name. Like Android, 99% of people who'd use it could care less whether it's open source or now.

What we need is something catchy, neat, concise and different. Anything with "news", "reader", or "feed" in it will just get lost amongst the mire of other second-rate apps on Play.

That's why I like Graze (and www.GrazeRSS.com). It's distinctive, clean, sharp and a bit different. It's a brand. Logos for it could be fun and playful (eg, a cow with an RSS logo, munching grass ;-).

If the multi-engine the gets done, Newsrob/Graze could become the defacto RSS reader for all services. We want it to have a strong brand.

philip....@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2013, 3:47:51 PM7/9/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
The more I think about it the more I like GrazeRSS.

I am rubbish a design but for the logo, could there be the orange RSS logo chewing grass?

hplg...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2013, 4:09:38 PM7/9/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
@ webreaper

i absolutely agree with your statement concerning cachiness and brand-building.
i kind of like the idea for the name "graze" and your logo idea. (grass munching cow)
from a "design-standpoint" you have 2 eye-friendly, warm colors with the "rss-orange" and a "grass-green", you can work with.
... black or black/white would be a good color for the cow
... you can also give the cow a completely orange fur, with a little bit of white (rss-logo in "cow-form").
... don't use orange/white, use black/white rss-logo-cow
i personally don't like logos and stuff that include too much colors. they feel "overloaded" ... these are just some thoughts and ideas.

________________________________

Mark Otway

Jul 9, 2013, 5:25:26 PM7/9/13
to Newsrob Group

Thanks.

I even wondered if we could have the cow munching a field of grass made up of the lines of a whole load of RSS logos, on their side. If you see what I mean. :-)

Travis Tabbal

Jul 9, 2013, 5:43:32 PM7/9/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
The cow theme is amusing me greatly today. No idea why... maybe the Chick-Fil-A down the street had someone dressed as a cow when I drove by earlier or something....

Now I want ice cream... See what you did? :)

Peter Riocreux

Jul 9, 2013, 6:48:36 PM7/9/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

How about the cow being branded with the RSS logo...

hplg...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2013, 3:42:49 AM7/10/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
i am really curious, concerning travis name & logo decision.
he is responsible for the new project and most important, he kept it alive.
therefore ultimately he should decide.

but i like the fact, that we can throw in ideas within this thread.

________________________________

Chad Johnson

Jul 10, 2013, 7:13:01 AM7/10/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
My vote is still for potato reader.

However, GrazeRSS looks nice too.

Still.  Potatoes.

--Chad
-------------------------

Mark Otway

Jul 10, 2013, 7:24:49 AM7/10/13
to Newsrob Group

Maybe graze could be the name, and the veg the engine.

Potato Graze - Newsblur
Turnip Graze - Feedly
Aubergine Graze - TT-RSS
Etc

Ezequiel Martín Cámara

Jul 12, 2013, 7:10:40 AM7/12/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
GrazRSS is another variation.

I like the idea, cows munching on grass then rechewing the cud later. Ugh. Maybe we can keep the details out.

Another image I like: a book, bring it out somewhere placid, not caring about network or coverage, and reading at pleasure, from start to finish.

Repose
Calm
Pleaser
Quiet Reader

The most important part of TAFKANR for me is the offline reading and the sync. So any play on sync, offline, etc is great.

OffroadRSS
SynkRSS
SyncRSS
SincRSS
SinkRSS

matt.an...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2013, 6:38:08 PM7/12/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Graze is cool... Don't really care what the name is, just want to get it out there so i can buy the premium version :)

Sean Houlihane

Jul 15, 2013, 3:21:54 AM7/15/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Just keep it searchable...

Travis Tabbal

Jul 16, 2013, 5:52:47 PM7/16/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

A couple possible logos, leaning towards GrazeRSS.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16485861/GrazeRSS_v2.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16485861/GrazeRSS.png

Thoughts? :)

On Jul 15, 2013 1:55 AM, "Sean Houlihane" <snh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Just keep it searchable...

Alan J Robertson

Jul 16, 2013, 6:22:08 PM7/16/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Personally I prefer the bevelled one a bit but I know that's not the way app designs are going lately.  Perhaps the orange needs to be a bit brighter?

Agree it's nice and distinctive though and seems like a good name choice!

A. :)
--
Sent by Alan J Robertson (a...@alanjrobertson.co.uk)
Tel: +44 (0)7939-558-403

Corinne Peterman

Jul 16, 2013, 6:26:28 PM7/16/13
to Newsrob
I like: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16485861/GrazeRSS.png

I would not want a brighter Orange on my screen though.  (Admittedly as a Hoya, I could be biased about the color Orange.  lol)

--Cori

Mark Otway

Jul 17, 2013, 2:24:50 PM7/17/13
to Newsrob Group

Yep. Love it, great concept, and the shiny bevel is, well, shiny. :-)

dougl...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2013, 11:51:03 PM7/17/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
What about, Newsbob.