OSS Beta 5

Travis Tabbal

Jul 3, 2013, 3:37:52 AM7/3/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
One more... Might be the last before I do the name change and such.

Skip the "top level" label created by the NewsBlur client. I don't have this, so if someone that does could test, please let me know. You will probably need to clear the local cache and re-sync.

Decode HTML entities in the article titles

Add some logging of URLs and such to the page downloader... hopefully to help diagnose the instapaper stuff

Remove pro version feature restrictions

Handle starred articles

Push unread states from NR to the server

Known issues:

Old starred articles can be touchy. I'm still not sure why, but I have one that won't save in NewsRob for some reason. New ones seem to work though.

There are probably still some issues with mobilizers. I didn't do anything that should fix it, but did add some logging to try to help figure it out.
NewsRob-OSS-Beta5.apk

Mark Otway

Jul 3, 2013, 4:10:22 AM7/3/13
to Newsrob Group

Mmmmm. Welcome back, pinning. I missed you. ;-)

Alan J Robertson

Jul 3, 2013, 6:56:47 AM7/3/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

Great work, Travis - feel much better now having night theme and pinning back :-)

A.

On 3 Jul 2013 08:44, "Travis Tabbal" <tra...@tabbal.net> wrote:

Scott Fringer

Jul 3, 2013, 8:26:39 AM7/3/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
I have to agree, having the Pro features I was so accustomed to back in is very welcome. Thanks SO much for all your effort Travis!

One thing to consider, with the product moving on, is the inclusion of 'data collection' still necessary? Is that something you will still make use of Travis (I'm happy to provide), or will that become defunct?

Thanks again,
 Scott

Travis Tabbal

Jul 3, 2013, 9:29:47 AM7/3/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

It seems like a useful tool. I will need to set up an account and transfer the code over to it, then I'll know better if it's worth keeping around. It seems like it can show things like what features are most used.

Scott Fringer

Jul 3, 2013, 9:36:45 AM7/3/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good Travis - always willing to help the developers keep things moving in the right direction.

Scott

hplg...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2013, 9:42:03 AM7/3/13
to new...@googlegroups.com, tra...@tabbal.net
<<< On Wednesday, July 3, 2013 3:26:39 PM UTC+2, Travis Tabbal wrote:
I think that may be the case. I'm going to try adding a less well known one and see if that helps. Gwt kept working, right? >>>

yep 100 of 100 latest articles downloaded successfully for offline use with gwt moments ago.
i already switched to beta5, therefore i continue posting in this thread.

benjamin...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2013, 9:50:11 AM7/3/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Hey Travis. Finally got around to installing the apk, and I'm having some problems:

ClassClastException: cannot cast com.google.gson.JsonNull to com.google.gain.JsonObject.

Now, this probably isn't your fault. While the website shows all my feeds correctly, my NewsBlur client shows nuthin', so I'm assuming its a problem with the NB api. I'm wondering if there's anything in the logs that help debug/fix this.

taufeq...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2013, 11:04:27 AM7/3/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

1st I would like to say thanks for making this app available for us again.
One question about your development road map. do you plan to create multiple back end service provider support other then newsblur? From the internet, loads of rss service provider already publish their API.

Sorry, not pushing anybody for anything. The effort you already put in is already great.

Travis Tabbal

Jul 3, 2013, 2:18:01 PM7/3/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
That's really odd. I am able to sync fine. If the official client isn't working either, then it has to be a server side issue. I'm sure they have multiple servers load-balanced, perhaps one of them is having a problem? If you have the debug log, send it to me and I'll take a look, but I doubt there's much I can do. You might need to let them know, make sure you tell them the official client has a problem, they won't care about NewsRob. :)

Alexey Vasik

Jul 3, 2013, 2:24:12 PM7/3/13
to new...@googlegroups.com, tra...@tabbal.net
First ever apk on my 4.2.2 that won't install at all.
Just saying App not installed.

Travis Tabbal

Jul 3, 2013, 2:25:32 PM7/3/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the plan is to implement Feedly next. From there, I'll probably post a poll and let the users decide. It seems that NewsBlur and Feedly are the big ones. It seems everyone and their dog is starting up an RSS service these days. I'm trying to get one working near feature complete and without any big bugs before starting a new one. :) I think we're getting close on NewsBlur, so unless something major comes up, I'll be working on the name/logo change next, then probably Feedly along with a little work to put another mobilizer or two in place.

Taking over the world, one RSS server at a time.... :)

Mark Otway

Jul 3, 2013, 2:38:02 PM7/3/13
to Newsrob Group

I think you just found your strapline for the app.

benjamin...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2013, 9:42:54 AM7/4/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Don't worry, I've definitely logged a complaint with the NewsBlur folks, I'm just hoping there's something coming out of NewsRob that will be helpful in diagnosing the problem. How can I get to the NR logs? I'm running aLogcat, but notjing seems to be getting spit out there.

Travis Tabbal

Jul 4, 2013, 10:00:16 AM7/4/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

Try /sdcard/newsrob.log. If you don't have that file, you need to put the linked file in /sdcard.

https://github.com/marianokamp/newsrob/blob/6bd75af2b07c8d97df6b17c0f85b393d937eecf3/newsrob.debug

On Jul 4, 2013 7:42 AM, <benjamin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Don't worry, I've definitely logged a complaint with the NewsBlur folks, I'm just hoping there's something coming out of NewsRob that will be helpful in diagnosing the problem. How can I get to the NR logs? I'm running aLogcat, but notjing seems to be getting spit out there.

benjamin...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2013, 10:11:07 AM7/5/13
to new...@googlegroups.com, tra...@tabbal.net
Done. Nothing too obvious in the logs -- just that it occurs during fetchNewEntries. I'll paw through the code and look at my api response, maybe something will pop out at me.
newsrob.log

taufeq...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2013, 10:03:33 AM7/8/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Nice to hear that we are supporting other mobilizer. Nothing wrong with the app, just that it would be great if we have options (for paid service).

Again good stuff you are doing here. Keep it up.