Thanks Mariano, and good luck!

Francois Brutsch

Jun 19, 2013, 6:09:15 PM6/19/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
I see there are some plans for NewsRob but this seems far too geekish for me: I'm an end-user, all I want is an app that works well and offline to manage (read / share to Google+ / email / save to Pocket RIL) my 150+ feeds on my Android mobile.
NewsRob did this very well for years together with Google Reader, and I'm very grateful to you for that.
Now I needed a efficient replacement that works, and I think I found it with the gReader app with Feedly.
So I'd like to say goodbye, thank you and all the best to you (and to a possible new NewsRob)!

Mariano Kamp

Jun 20, 2013, 8:55:18 AM6/20/13
to NewsRob User Group
Hi Francois.

You have been a NewsRob users for years and years. Sorry to see you go.

All the best for you though.

We'll meet again ;)

Mariano

Colleen McSpirit

Jun 20, 2013, 9:04:06 AM6/20/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

What is the suggestion for us end-users? Just wait to see if/when a new newsrob comes out? How will we know?

Thanks!
Colleen

Travis Tabbal

Jun 20, 2013, 9:27:00 AM6/20/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

It will be posted here. I am getting close to having a version for beta testing that works with newsblur.

Scott Fringer

Jun 20, 2013, 9:31:40 AM6/20/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
That's awesome news Travis! I'd be happy to give it a whirl since I've committed to Newsblur...

Scott

Mark Otway

Jun 20, 2013, 10:15:14 AM6/20/13
to Newsrob Group

If a new version of Newsrob supports Feedly and Newsblur but has all the same functionality as you've used for years, how is that too geeky?

Colleen McSpirit

Jun 20, 2013, 9:29:20 AM6/20/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

FABULOUS!!!  You guys are amazing. Thanks, Colleen

Nelson Ricciardi

Jun 20, 2013, 10:06:51 AM6/20/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

Me too. I'm a good and experienced tester,

Travis Tabbal

Jun 20, 2013, 11:16:51 AM6/20/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the offers, I'm running a test version on my phone now and will fix any nagging bugs before I post one. I'm sure it will be soon. I've only had it working well enough to use since last night, and already have a couple little things to fix. :)

Right now, it's just NewsBlur. They had some nice Java code I could integrate with, so the interface to them was simpler than Feedly would be. Once I get a good bug-free Newsblur, I'll look at Feedly again. The long-term goal is to have a choice of backend providers to choose from, so we don't get stuck under such a tight time crunch again. The short-term goal, a very short term indeed, is to get one going with enough functionality to replace at least basic news reading with the normal NewsRob features and interface we all know and love. It's a little light on features right now, just downloading articles and uploading read articles from NR. I'd like to implement a couple more before a public release, we'll see. The deadline is looming so I don't want to go too nuts. More features = more bugs. :)

If someone wants to contribute without coding, a basic write-up with perhaps a screenshot or two, showing signing up for Newsblur and migrating your feeds from Google Reader would be helpful for users. It's pretty straight forward, but I think it would help with a smooth transition for less technical users. Note that doing this doesn't mess with your Reader data at all, it just reads your feed list and stared articles, etc. so Newsblur can display them.

I'm also planning to polish things up a little. Right now, you have to modify newsrob.debug to set your username and password, for example. Certainly not user-friendly for less technical users, though I'm sure many on this list could handle it fine.

Mariano Kamp

Jun 20, 2013, 12:51:50 PM6/20/13
to NewsRob User Group
Agree with all of that and sounds like the right way to go.

Personally I think it is easier to live with a know deficiency of sync functionality, that will be fixed later, than with a bumpy transition.

RoamingChile

Jun 22, 2013, 5:10:54 PM6/22/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Thank you , Francois, for encouraging me to check out gReader. I, too, had already settled on Feedly.

So I second Francois' thanks to Mariano. I need a solution now. I'm satisfied with Feedly, so I do not want to learn Newblur. I'd tried to check it out more than a month ago and either decided against it or couldn't get in. I don't remember. I like Feedly's web interface, as it's where I do the bulk of my reading and sharing.

I'll check back to see if y'all decide to integrate Feedly.

mka...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2013, 1:13:27 AM6/24/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
I was unhappy with the ui from both freely and newsblur. But I've been using newsrob ui almost exclusively as my RSS reader for a few years now. Definitely looking forward to a new version and willing to beta test.

darrel...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2013, 8:33:55 AM6/24/13
to new...@googlegroups.com, tra...@tabbal.net
Hi Travis,

Spectacular news! Thanks for all of your efforts with this. I haven't found a worthy NR replacement as yet, so to hear it's getting an enhancement has brightened my day no end. Mariano, tip of the hat to your original work, as always.

I'm happy to help with some non-coding work. I'm pretty good with wording, screenshots, etc. so can easily put some user instructions / documentation together. Just give me the nod when you're ready with beta clients, etc.

Thanks,

Darrell Grundy

Mariano Kamp

Jun 27, 2013, 12:54:36 AM6/27/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Darrell,

That is fantastic and exactly what we need.

The 1st of July is getting very close and if you could write something to help the transition that would be very mich appreciated. Woultmit be possible to describe the the journey of a NewsRob user from GR to Newsblur?

jonstewartp...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2013, 4:05:03 PM7/1/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
I just want to add to thanking you, Mariano. This was easily the most used app on my tablet / phones.

Day job killing you, Mariano? You have my complete empathy, since I've been in the same boat for a while, stuck doing things I have to do rather than those I might like to do (like help with porting Newsrob (great job, Travis et al)!

Hope your health improves also. (Mine seems to be a function of my age!)

So,my best wishes and gratitude to you, Mariano.

Peter nospam

Jul 1, 2013, 11:47:20 PM7/1/13
to new...@googlegroups.com, jonstewartp...@gmail.com
Ditto.
I'm just a lurker on the forum, but now is my time to step out of the shadows and speak up.
Newsrob provided a unique capability at a time when no others could come close.
The product and the support was outstanding.
Thanks for a great ride Mariaon.
Best of luck with whatever comes next!!

Terry McCall

Jul 2, 2013, 6:01:31 PM7/2/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Been a NewsRob Pro user since my original Moto Droid (D1). Like many others though, I've found another service currently unsupported by NewsRob.

So long and thanks for all the fish! Hope our paths cross again, sooner rather than later.