OSS Beta 9

Travis Tabbal

Jul 7, 2013, 11:01:03 AM7/7/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Fixed offline viewing. :)

NewsRob-OSS-Beta9.apk

Scott Fringer

Jul 7, 2013, 11:09:55 AM7/7/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

Crashed as soon as I tapped a folder. :-( crash email sent.

On Jul 7, 2013 11:01 AM, "Travis Tabbal" <tra...@tabbal.net> wrote:
Fixed offline viewing. :)

Travis Tabbal

Jul 7, 2013, 11:28:11 AM7/7/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I'm not seeing it locally, very weird. I'll keep looking at the code.

Travis Tabbal

Jul 7, 2013, 11:42:06 AM7/7/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
OK.. got it. Let's try again.  :)

NewsRob-OSS-Beta9.1.apk

Travis Tabbal

Jul 7, 2013, 11:47:34 AM7/7/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Doing the commit, I just noticed a bonus feature made it into 9.1.

Refreshing the content for all the articles in a feed is in there. It's only been tested a little, but it's mostly just a loop around the existing code. Let me know. :)

Long press the feed name, Refresh Content For All Articles.

Alan J Robertson

Jul 7, 2013, 11:58:26 AM7/7/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Generally seems to be working OK in that unstarring articles and syncing doesn't bring them back again.  However I'm finding they sit in my starred articles list with an asterisk next to them (the ones I've left starred say 'starred').  Is there a timelag between unstarring and syncing before the articles will disappear on a subsequent sync?

I've also noticed that pinned articles retain the asterisk (that IIRC denotes a pending item at next sync) - I can't remember this if used to happen with GR too??

Cheers

Alan
Sent by Alan J Robertson (a...@alanjrobertson.co.uk)
Tel: +44 (0)7939-558-403

Travis Tabbal

Jul 7, 2013, 3:33:08 PM7/7/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

The star state is sent with the next sync run. I have noticed that some events seem to only happen every other sync run. I need to investigate that.

Alan J Robertson

Jul 7, 2013, 3:45:59 PM7/7/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
That's what I thought would happened, although my pinned article seems to remain with star despite multiple syncs.  It's not a major issue, just interesting!

Cheers

A.

Travis Tabbal

Jul 7, 2013, 4:07:52 PM7/7/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

Indeed. I'll check it out and see if I can reproduce it.

Mark Otway

Jul 7, 2013, 4:34:31 PM7/7/13
to Newsrob Group

Woot.

Rod Nayfield

Jul 8, 2013, 8:45:11 AM7/8/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

FYI you can probably remove the system accounts permission requirement, as the newwblur auth information is local to the app now, right?

Travis Tabbal

Jul 8, 2013, 9:44:31 AM7/8/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

Probably. I simply have not looked into it. I suspect I'll need to do something about the code that uses that permission or I'll get issues with the code being there, even though it's not being called.

taufeq...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2013, 9:19:44 PM7/8/13
to new...@googlegroups.com, tra...@tabbal.net
Travis,

I have installed the beta 9 this morning. I found that the sync does not retrieve feeds 100%. in news blur site I see 90 unread articles, and the app only download 73.
I have clear cache a few times and re-sync, and still get the same results

Not sure if this is a bug or NewsBlur thing? Please point me to some how to, to get logs, if you need more reference

Taufeq AR

hplg...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2013, 10:32:09 AM7/9/13
to new...@googlegroups.com, tra...@tabbal.net
@ travis

switched from beta6 to beta9.1
last few days i played around with beta9.1

here are some results:
gwt, readability & viewtext: not a single feed is available for offline use. nothing happens with little indicator dot. neither it gets "dark grey", nor a "red dot" is added. the indicator stays "light grey". most of them are available online
instapaper: no data for offline use anymore  i never had "exceeded rate limit" message before. most of them are available online. indicator working (in this case it gets "dark grey" with the attached "red dot", like it should be for "not downloaded" articles)

mobilizers download nothing. indicator only working for instapaper.

some new wierd behaviour occurs with 9.1
everytime i try to fetch 100 most recent feeds, i get 70-90 feeds from first newspaper in list (in my case "Bangkok Post") and the rest are feeds from "China Daily" (second newspaper in list). no such behaviour with beta6.
comparable behaviour, when i try to fetch maximum amount of 2000 feeds.
i only get a few newspapers. last in list don't show up at all.
normally, when i fetch 2k articles, i should get articles from each and every newspaper, i have subscribed to.
now i get eg. 900 from 1 newspaper, 500 from another one, ... in total about 8 newspapers/websites of 64 (maximum for free newsblur users) i have subscribed to.

same behaviour on more than 1 occassion.
is there something wrong with beta9.1?
beta6 worked way better for me. i received feeds from most newspapers and i was able to download at least some content for offline use.

________________

Travis Tabbal

Jul 9, 2013, 11:01:46 AM7/9/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Interesting, the changes in sync type are more accurate for me. If you tap the spinner so you can see the details of the sync, is the unread count correct when it starts downloading unread articles? I think I need to log more data during the sync. More about what the server sent back etc so we can compare a little better. Keep in mind that the total unread count on the web UI lags the actual unread count. If you read articles on the web UI, it takes a while to actually update. I have no idea why, as the per-feed counts update in real time. With article counts in single-digit or 4-digit sizes, I get accurate syncs though.

Instapaper has been up and down for a while now, so it not working isn't surprising. The problem is on the server, nothing I can do about it. It sounds like the others aren't returning error responses, no red dot. So it thinks it downloaded them properly.

If you check the debug log, you should see it downloading all the pages, or trying to anyway. Any errors in there?

It's possible it just can't find the local data, though it thinks it downloaded them properly. The log should show that as well.

hplg...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2013, 11:37:03 AM7/9/13
to new...@googlegroups.com, tra...@tabbal.net
first of all. no log file existing. neither on sdcard (/sdcard/newsrob.log), nor in application folder (/sdcard/newsrob/newsrob.log)
downloaded your newsrob.debug file and copied it to /sdcard/newsrob.debug like you said.
may i ask why are these files (your .debug file and the produced log files) in /sdcard and not in &{applicationfolder}?
(to have all files that have to do with newsrob in there)
but that's not a problem, i'll place the file, where you told us to. i am just curious.

newsblur gives me about +10000 unread articles. i haven't logged in there, as i use feedly to read my feeds in browser.
i guess that may be the reason for the weird behavior, i described. since i never log in there, everything is unread, even articles that go back a while.
i haven't thought about this possibility. this one seems to be on my end, and not a problem with beta9.1. sorry for the inconvenience travis.

however i'll log in at newsblur and "mark everything as read"

i'll post again in a few hours to check for "unread count", you asked me about and try with all mobilizers again. let's hope i can produce some log-files.

________________________________

hplg...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2013, 1:37:17 PM7/9/13
to new...@googlegroups.com, tra...@tabbal.net
getting correct syncs now.however cannot tell you, if "unread count" is correct. it flies by really fast,
beta9.1 tries to fetch the correct articles, as far as i can see. i compared the headers newsrob fetched with the newsblur webinterface.
i was able to fetch the latest 100 articles.
the "weird problem" was completely my fault, as i thought after reading your response.
newsrob tried to fetch every article for every newspaper, because they have all been "marked as unread". (more than 10k)

mobilizers:
none of them downloaded any article.
"indicator dot", only working for instapaper.

i'll send you the log.file per mail, to provide you with the information you need.