Newsrob & tt-rss

Mathieu R.

Jul 2, 2013, 2:25:09 PM7/2/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Hello there,

Is there any chance to see newsrob beeing able to sync with a TT-rss instance ?

thanks,

Travis Tabbal

Jul 2, 2013, 2:31:40 PM7/2/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps. The only issue I have with tt-rss is I don't see any servers you can sign up with. It seems to be entirely a self-install thing. That's a very limited "market" to code for. Perhaps after Feedly, unless someone submits some code for it.

S 'Dis' McCarthy

Jul 2, 2013, 2:53:51 PM7/2/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
There are a few but they are monetizing, so they are unlikely to enable api access.

It is easy enough to set one up (free) on redhat's Openshift cloud.

Mark Otway

Jul 2, 2013, 2:55:54 PM7/2/13
to Newsrob Group

I think for now Travis should concentrate on the main hosted players, and worry about self hosted back ends later (given the latter is unlikely to account for more than single-digit user numbers).

Mathieu R.

Jul 2, 2013, 2:56:00 PM7/2/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
I'm not able to submit any code (my skills are limited to some html & css) but i can provide an access to a tt-rss instance if needed, for coding purposes.

Travis Tabbal

Jul 2, 2013, 3:02:48 PM7/2/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind when I get to that point.

johannes amorosa

Jul 3, 2013, 7:28:39 AM7/3/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
+1 for accessing a tt-rss instance!
Johannes Amorosa | chat with me: j...@reh.re (xmpp) | mobil +49 163 361 1807 | skype johannes.amorosa

J M L

Jul 3, 2013, 2:55:35 PM7/3/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
TT-RSS support would be great, but I can see prioritizing main stream services over tt-rss.  If I can install and run tt-rss, I can also install and run newsblur. Is it possible to specify the endpoint for newsblur sync, so I can point it at my own server?

Travis Tabbal

Jul 4, 2013, 2:24:39 AM7/4/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Not at the moment, however, I am planning to add it.

luca.sa...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2013, 2:41:56 AM7/4/13
to new...@googlegroups.com, mat...@400iso.net
I can provide free access to a TT-RSS instance I self-host.

Being a developer, I may be able to throw some code at a "connector" using TT-RSS' APIs, but since I am new to NewsRob, could you please give me a pointer to get started?

Travis Tabbal

Jul 4, 2013, 9:56:44 AM7/4/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

Take a look at the NewsBlurBackendProvider class to get a basic idea. One option is to submit some classes that handle the api calls and parse the responses into java classes. From there I can help with the glue code.

https://github.com/marianokamp/newsrob/blob/6bd75af2b07c8d97df6b17c0f85b393d937eecf3/app/src/com/newsrob/NewsBlurBackendProvider.java

On Jul 4, 2013 1:04 AM, <luca.sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
I can provide free access to a TT-RSS instance I self-host.

Being a developer, I may be able to throw some code at a "connector" using TT-RSS' APIs, but since I am new to NewsRob, could you please give me a pointer to get started?

Jason Tarlowe

Jul 8, 2013, 11:11:06 AM7/8/13
to new...@googlegroups.com, mat...@400iso.net
Okay I'm not a developer and just found this Google Group so forgive me if you already answered it. I'm just wondering why connect to the Newsblur backend instead of Feedly, as the great majority of people (including me) who wanted NewsRob like service (Feedly Cloud backend, gReader front end)?

Travis Tabbal

Jul 8, 2013, 1:04:21 PM7/8/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
The reason was simple expediency. There was an existing OSS project I could use for handling the API calls and getting Java objects back, the official NewsBlur client. Feedly had no such code available that I was aware of. With such a short timetable, I wanted to get as big a jump on it as I could. And personally, for a NewsRob user, I simply see little difference in the services.

If Feedly had made a fully GR API compatible API available, I would have just targeted the existing code at it. However, comparing the code in NR and the Feedly docs, there were enough differences that I felt it was faster to go with the NewsBlur code. I do plan to start on Feedly soon, as the NewsBlur backend is feature complete and running well for most users.

Bill

Jul 8, 2013, 1:55:03 PM7/8/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

Hi Travis,

I am a great appreciator of the work you are doing to reinstate Newsrob. Thank you.

I downloaded OSS Beta 9. So far, when it syncs, only the headers appear to sync. When I want to read, it downloads the text. Way too late when I am sitting on an airplane. What do you need from me to track the problem?

Regards, Bill Bush

Travis Tabbal

Jul 8, 2013, 3:52:35 PM7/8/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Do you have the little red dot by the circles in the article list? Perhaps the debug log would help. I am unable to reproduce the issue, if I disable all networking, I can still read the article text fine, so it's not universal. Some sites have content that loads via Javascript, but even those I seem to get at least the main article text on.

When you say "the headers" do you mean just a story excerpt? Or just the title? Is it all feeds or just some? Send me a feed that you see it on, maybe that feed does something that requires syncing the full page or using a mobilizer on it to get the full story. As you can see, there are a lot of variables. Hopefully we can figure it out.

Bill

Jul 9, 2013, 2:50:07 AM7/9/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

Travis,

When I turn off WIFI and 3G, then try to read an article; I get message Webpage not available, then gives The webpage at http://www.google.com/gwt/n?u=http%3A%2F%www.pcworld.com%2raritcle%launches_comprehensive-salesforceäapp.html%23tk.rss_all might be temporarily down or it may have mover permanently to a new web address.

To answer your questions. There is no red dot in articles list. By headers, I mean just the title. It appears to be all the feeds that are not downloaded for offline viewing. Where do I find the debug log?

Cheers, Bill

Travis Tabbal

Jul 9, 2013, 8:41:54 AM7/9/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

Try changing to the viewtext mobilizer in settings> experimental. Gwt has been reliable for me in the past, but I'm curious if it might help.

The log is at /sdcard/newsrob.log. If you don't have that file, we need to get the newsrob.debug file put in /sdcard.

frank.o...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2013, 10:31:17 AM7/9/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Hi Travis,

I encounter the same issue as describen by Bill (no offline content). For the moment, I switched back to Beta 6 which works great for me. I will try to provide you with a log file end of this week.

BR,
Frank

P.S.: I've been a daily user of the pro-version. Thanks to Mariano for creating a great product and thank you, Travis, for keeping it alive!