Pro features

Mark Otway

Jul 1, 2013, 12:19:26 AM7/1/13
to Newsrob Group

So, Travis, now that Mariano has taken the brave decision to take what he loves and let it go, putting the source code into the wild, do you have plans to pull together a build with the pro features (pinning, themes, etc) enabled?

I think it's a fantastic and admirable move by Mariano, and I wonder whether it'll mean we will now have the opportunity to get more devs involved and see other things emerge (eg the long touted tablet version, holo UI refresh etc).

Feels like this could allow Newsrob's legacy to become one of "take over the world". :-)

Travis Tabbal

Jul 1, 2013, 11:52:41 AM7/1/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to see it, personally.

I have a few ideas, but I do plan to continue working on it and set up versions for the Play store and such. I haven't decided on the pro stuff, but I expect I will soon. I'm a little behind the curve as I've never done that before, but from what I've seen it's not too hard to do.

More devs would be great, it would allow us to get more services integrated faster and some of the long-desired features like the ones you mentioned added in.

Mark Otway

Jul 1, 2013, 4:15:47 PM7/1/13
to Newsrob Group

Since it's open source now, would it make more sense to just remove the concept of Pro and enable all features for everyone?

Mike Weinstein

Jul 2, 2013, 6:51:50 AM7/2/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
As a "former" Pro user, is there a way in the new newsrob version to get my pro features back? For example, I immediately miss night mode and the ability to sync just my "newsrob" folder from news blur? Thanks!

Travis Tabbal

Jul 2, 2013, 2:02:19 PM7/2/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
The newsrob only folder sync isn't implemented yet. I do plan to do it, but haven't gotten to it yet. For the rest of the pro features, I think I will put out a build in the next day or two that enables them by default.

As we may have to change the name of the app, Mariano has stipulated that OSS derivatives are not to use the NR name/icon, I will likely change the name of the sync folder as well when we get there.