Re: Menu button missing on HTC One V

Mariano Kamp

May 6, 2012, 8:22:48 AM5/6/12
to new...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I don't know what you mean? What kind of virtual menu buttons would you like to see? Can you provide a screenshot please.

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 4:03 PM, tmende <tme...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

on my HTC One V, i don't see any virtual menu buttons, is this a known
issue?

Thanks,

Thilo

wilhelm

May 23, 2012, 7:30:07 PM5/23/12
to NewsRob User Group
I believe the poster may be referring to the fact that the HTC One
phones are ICS, and instead of having onscreen system buttons (i.e.
back, home, app switch) buttons like the Galaxy Nexus does, they have
physical buttons so that the entire screen is usable. What to do then
when running a "legacy" (e.g. non-ICS) app that still wants a physical
menu button? On the HTC One X, the solution is to temporarily create a
bar at the bottom of the screen (like the Galaxy does) but which holds
nothing but a menu button (with the three stacked dots icon).

However, the HTC One V, with its smaller screen, uses a different (and
potentially confusing) solution. On the One V, to access menu
functions in pre-ICS apps, you must *PRESS AND HOLD* the app switch
button (the right most button with the two overlapping square) and
then it acts as a menu button. The first time you launch such a
program, the phone will explain this to you with an easily overlooked
dialog, and then not again. If you missed it, you will be very
confused by how to access menu functions in non-ICS aware programs.

Ultimately the fix for this is an "ICS aware" application that has a
new style menu on the action bar.

Mariano Kamp

Jun 6, 2012, 5:05:37 AM6/6/12
to new...@googlegroups.com
Wow, that sounds really bad. How on earth could they release something like that? Breaking legacy apps, tstststs.

Anyway, so the One V has this compatibility mode, but the One X doesn't?

Wilhelm Fitzpatrick

Jun 8, 2012, 4:49:24 PM6/8/12
to new...@googlegroups.com
The One X has a compatibility mode, that is more obvious. When you enter a non-ICS app, a bottom strip of the screen becomes a button bar with nothing but a menu button on it. The difference with the V is that while there is a compatibility mode, it is hidden.

Mariano Kamp

Jun 9, 2012, 4:30:11 AM6/9/12
to new...@googlegroups.com
Ah, ok, thanks.

Tim

Jun 13, 2012, 6:01:07 AM6/13/12
to new...@googlegroups.com
One the One X the menu button just sits there at the bottom all on its own taking up space.  What I really, really would like to see is the button in the title bar at the top.

Mariano Kamp

Jun 13, 2012, 11:39:19 AM6/13/12
to new...@googlegroups.com
My understanding is, correct me if I am wrong, that the OS synthesizes this button as a stop gap measure for pre-ICS apps, so that they can cope with HTC using a different hard-button/soft-button scheme than intended. So the button placement is not up to me.

The button itself will disappear completely though when NewsRob is a proper ICS app.

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Tim <tim.rich...@gmail.com> wrote:
One the One X the menu button just sits there at the bottom all on its own taking up space.  What I really, really would like to see is the button in the title bar at the top.

Tim Richardson

Jun 13, 2012, 11:44:30 AM6/13/12
to new...@googlegroups.com

Yes, that is what I am waiting for :-)  Is it on the horizon?

Mariano Kamp

Jun 13, 2012, 12:15:17 PM6/13/12
to new...@googlegroups.com
I am sorry to say, but not really ;(

strue...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2012, 5:03:08 PM8/26/12
to new...@googlegroups.com
Thank you.  I just got an HTC One, and I couldn't figure how to find a menu key that many of the apps I use regularly need.  Thanks again for your help!

karina...@gmail.com

Sep 6, 2012, 8:32:07 AM9/6/12
to new...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wilhelm,

"However, the HTC One V, with its smaller screen, uses a different (and
potentially confusing) solution. On the One V, to access menu
functions in pre-ICS apps, you must *PRESS AND HOLD* the app switch
button (the right most button with the two overlapping square) and
then it acts as a menu button.  The first time you launch such a
program, the phone will explain this to you with an easily overlooked
dialog, and then not again. If you missed it, you will be very
confused by how to access menu functions in non-ICS aware programs."

Thank you so much for this! It was so infuriating not being able to figure out the menu functions in my WordFeud game. You're a star!

Karina

emil...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2012, 7:27:20 PM10/11/12
to new...@googlegroups.com
Hello I am trying to access the settings on an appthat doesn't make the on screen menu button visible ... Do you know how I would go about getting at the settings? The app I am referring to is "Easy Task Killer"

Thanks :)

kph...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2012, 6:57:21 PM11/22/12
to new...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for posting this!!! It took me forever to find the missing "menu" button on my htc one v in before I finally googled the answer and found this post!!! (in order to use a custom theme on go launcher ex~)

cahb...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2012, 12:06:30 PM12/7/12
to new...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this, Wilhelm. I was so confused as to why I couldn't access the menu on the Kindle app. Now I know.

Chris

meburn...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2012, 6:04:16 AM12/11/12
to new...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot for the info :)

indig...@aol.com

Jan 29, 2013, 2:46:44 AM1/29/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
You don't know how much frustration you've delivered me from. I have been going nuts with tech support for a banking app because all they could tell me was to use the phone's menu button. Obviously not obvious on an HTC One V. Your post, after hours of Googling, has saved the day!  THANK YOU!

usmal...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2013, 12:10:14 AM4/17/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Thank you much...I've been pulling out my hair for 2 hours, looking for the "Menu" button, or some way to enable a menu function, on my week old HTC One V. If I could, I'd buy you a beer, sir.

Wilhelm Fitzpatrick

Apr 27, 2013, 9:37:07 PM4/27/13
to new...@googlegroups.com, usmal...@gmail.com
Wow, I had no idea my answer on this thread would be of use to so many people! I'm glad it's helping out.

Michael Mcgraw

Apr 28, 2013, 3:03:28 PM4/28/13
to new...@googlegroups.com, usmal...@gmail.com
Now, if you can tell me why some of the app icons disappear from time to time, that would be even better...lol. HTC One V still. I'll place an app icon, get used to it being there a few days, go to it....gone! Have to go back to the app/widget center of my phone (I call it that because I don't know what it's called) and replace it on the main screen again. Happens often. Thanks, whether you have an answer or not

suddenu...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2014, 8:26:21 AM2/16/14
to new...@googlegroups.com

suddenu...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2014, 8:52:33 AM2/16/14
to new...@googlegroups.com
I need advice for "menu " button? My mobile. Phone. An HTC EVO & GOOGLE.COM. SENT ME TO THIS "NewsRobUser Group " Is it a common. Fallicy with HTC that can be accessed by an amature? Thanks for anything.

Travis Tabbal

Feb 18, 2014, 10:52:21 AM2/18/14
to new...@googlegroups.com
What problem are you having with the menu button?