NewsRob on Nook SimpleTouch

t...@tomkerswill.co.uk

Oct 9, 2013, 3:31:09 AM10/9/13
to new...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

It's great to see that NewsRob is working post-Google Reader. The beta versions are working great on most of my Android devices.

However, I can't get the latest betas to work on my Nook SimpleTouch (tried beta 4 and beta 11). Although the software installs, I find that when I launch the app, the screen flickers and it goes straight back to the launcher - non of the graphical elements of NewsRob seem to start to load.

Is there any advice on running the new NewsRob versions on a Nook? I've found that NewsRob is great on e-Ink devices, and I'd love to get it working!

Let me know if there's anything I can do to debug, etc.

Thanks

Tom

Travis Tabbal

Oct 9, 2013, 12:35:37 PM10/9/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

Can you get a log? If I can see what's failing I might be able to get it going. I don't have a device, so it's difficult to say where the problem could be.

t...@tomkerswill.co.uk

Oct 9, 2013, 3:15:55 PM10/9/13
to new...@googlegroups.com, tra...@tabbal.net
Hi Travis,

Thanks for the reply. I'm afraid I can't instantly see a log file, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. Sorry if this is an FAQ, but could you post a quick run-down on how to switch on debug / logging for NewsRob? I did some searches of the newsgroup but didn't find a definitive guide!

Thanks

Tom

Travis Tabbal

Oct 10, 2013, 1:44:10 AM10/10/13
to new...@googlegroups.com

Put the following in a file at /sdcard/newsrob.debug

debug=1
countBytesTransferred=1
printCurls=1
articleDetailViewVerbose=1
downloadArticlesInParallel=1
downloadImagesInParallel=1
filterOutNewsRobIgnore=0
webpageDownloadDirector=1

You should get a file /sdcard/newsrob.log

Or if you have adb, "adb logcat" should be able to get something useful as well.