Follow up on https://github.com/newspeaklanguage/newspeak/pull/125

Milan Zimmermann

Feb 22, 2024, 4:01:51 PMFeb 22
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gilad,

I thought I'd check if you saw my changes and the commit I added last week to

There is absolutely no rush, but in case additions to a PR do not generate emails, I just wanted to send a pointer here,

Thanks,

Milan

Gilad Bracha

Feb 22, 2024, 4:11:16 PMFeb 22
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com
Hi Milan,

Sorry, I did see them, but have been remiss in responding. I will take care of it this weekend.

Cheers, Gilad

Milan Zimmermann

Feb 22, 2024, 4:13:11 PMFeb 22
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com
No rush at all Gilad, I just was not sure my changes there generate any notifications. Thanks for the follow up, Milan

Gilad Bracha

Feb 22, 2024, 4:15:37 PMFeb 22
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com
They do generate notifications - but I have to look at my github notifications to see them; which I did. I wanted to get back to you, but have been caught up in other stuff.

--
Cheers, Gilad

Milan Zimmermann

Feb 22, 2024, 4:33:46 PMFeb 22
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com

Gilad Bracha

Feb 24, 2024, 5:20:02 PMFeb 24
to Newspeak Programming Language
Hi Milan,

Thank you for all your work on this. I've accepted the changes, and then tweaked the README a bit to suit my own predilections. It's all live now. I will soon test it all out - both the recommended set up, from scratch, and the modified version that suits my personal use pattern.

Milan Zimmermann

Feb 24, 2024, 8:21:27 PMFeb 24
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com
Gilad,

Thanks, and let me know here or on the PR (I will be checking notifications there) if any changes are needed.

Later,
Milan

Milan Zimmermann

Feb 25, 2024, 1:51:06 AMFeb 25
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com
Gilad,

I have one update on the merge of the PR #125 (it is closed, so I am responding here, not sure responding in the PR would reach your email).

There was a understandable confusion during the merge that we should fix before you start testing. Let me summarize it here:

1. The file 'platforms/webIDE/sw.js' should have the version line as follows:
const pwaVersion = 1;
2. The file 'pwa-deployed-versions/newspeaklanguage.org.version' should contain number 44  (or any larger number, no newline at the end)
44

The reason is, as follows:

The version-update code function

'copy_sw_to_http_dir_increasing_pwa_version'

 assumes the presence of the string

'const pwaVersion = 1;'

in

 'platforms/webIDE/sw.js'

then uses the last used version number from  'pwa-deployed-versions/newspeaklanguage.org.version', increases it by 1, and copies the resulting 'sw.js' into the directory where the HTTP server is running.

Can you please make the two changes (in 1. and 2. above) before you start your testing?

Let me know if I need to clarify it better,

Milan

Gilad Bracha

Feb 25, 2024, 5:50:34 PMFeb 25
to Newspeak Programming Language
Got it. I was trying this on a different machine, but ran into some git issue and put it off. I also need to get things working on my machine. So I will incorporate your changes, Thanks!

Gilad Bracha

Feb 25, 2024, 8:14:52 PMFeb 25
to Newspeak Programming Language
Ok, left you some comments in #125. I put back the small changes you mentioned above.

Milan Zimmermann

Feb 25, 2024, 11:21:31 PMFeb 25
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Gilad, let me know if you run into any issues, Milan