Telescreen, Ampleforth, Hopscotch etc

Gilad Bracha

May 10, 2024, 2:42:46 PMMay 10
to Newspeak Programming Language
Hello,

I wanted to give an update. In recent weeks I've been working on the new version of Telescreen.

As a reminder, Telescreen is the presentation tool I use to show slides with live Neewspeak code in them. The original Telescreen was an Newspeak app that premiered in my talks at Smalltalks22 in Buenos Aires.  It managed a list of slides, each of which was an Ampleforth document. Since November of 22, I've used it on several occasions.

The new version of Telescreen is itself an Ampleforth document. This is conceptually cleaner, and illustrates how a full scale application can be a document. Each slide is still a document as well.

The new Telescreen came out this past Tuesday at my keynote a LambdaConf. The talk will eventually be posted online.

The Telescreen work forced me to address bugs in the underlying layers - Ampleforth, the IDE and Hopscotch. I'm not done yet, but things have improved. In particular, this work exposed some issues with the implementation of transclusion. For example, what happens when you include  a presentation within another.

As another example of transclusion, Ampleforth is now hosting my blog (see https://blog.bracha.org).  Many, but not all, of the issues have resolved. When things are a bit more solid, I think we can transition the Newspeak website to Ampleforth as well.