Rivera may be headed to the D-L

UPI

Apr 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/6/98

Rivera may be headed to the D-L

SEATTLE, April 6 (UPI) - New York Yankees' closer Mariano Rivera
likely will not be available for the upcoming three-game series against
the Mariners beginning tonight at the Kingdome in Seattle.

Rivera, who finished second in the American League with 43 saves last
season, aggravated a lingering groin injury in the ninth inning of
Sunday's 7-5, 10-inning victory at Oakland. With the Yankees leading, 7-
5, Rivera recorded the first two outs in the ninth inning. Also, he had
a 1-2 count on Oakland's Matt Stairs, but was battling through
persistent pain in his right groin and motioned to the dugout. Manager
Joe Torre rushed to the mound and immediately made a pitching change.

Reliever Graeme Lloyd then walked Stairs and allowed a game-tying
two-run homer to Jason Giambi. The Yankees finally won the game with two
runs in the 10th.

``It's a very costly victory,'' said Torre. ``It concerns me that it
may take a disablement to get him through this.''

Rivera originally injured his right groin while pitching in an
exhibition game at San Diego State last Monday. Sunday was his first
appearance of the season.

``It's not a pull. I didn't feel it pop,'' said Rivera of the injury.
``A few days (of treatment) and I'll be ready to go. I'll be all right
when we get to New York.''

After the three-game series in Seattle, the Yankees will play their
home opener Friday against Oakland.

The Yankees have summoned reliever Mike Buddie from Triple-A Columbus
and he will join the team if the Yankees need to make a roster move.
Mike Stanton and Jeff Nelson will share the closer's role in Rivera's
absence.

The Yankees may also make a roster move with designated hitter Chili
Davis, who is bothered by tendinitis of the right knee.

bc-bb-rivera
--------
This article remains the property of United Press International and is not
to be modified or redistributed in any way. It is provided as information
through license arrangement between UPI and Pathlink Technology Corporation.

UPI

Apr 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/6/98

Copyright 1998 by United Press International.

All rights reserved.