What's wrong with this RSS feed that it doesn't show in "Your Feeds"

Xtian

Oct 3, 2016, 12:02:28 PM10/3/16
to newsbeuter
I don't understand why this feed doesn't display after I added it to the `urls` file:

Alexander Batischev

Oct 3, 2016, 12:16:37 PM10/3/16
to newsb...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
You probably edited the urls file by opening it in an editor while
Newsbeuter was running. Newsbeuter doesn't check the file all the time,
so it's not aware of your change.

Use reload-urls (bound to ^R by default), or just restart Newsbeuter.

Newsbeuter also has edit-urls command (bound to E by default) which will
open the file in the editor that you set through EDITOR environment
variable.

If I didn't guess correctly, I am sorry, but it's the best I could do
with what little info you provided. Tell me if the things above don't
work and we'll try to diagnose it further.

--
Regards,
Alexander Batischev

Xtian

Oct 3, 2016, 12:50:09 PM10/3/16
to newsbeuter
You probably edited the urls file by opening it in an editor while
Newsbeuter was running.
At first, yes, I did this. But I didn't stop there.

Use reload-urls (bound to ^R by default), or just restart Newsbeuter.
This is what I did, several times. Both reloading the feeds SHIFT-R and restarting the application

Newsbeuter also has edit-urls command (bound to E by default) which will
open the file in the editor that you set through EDITOR environment
variable.
This edits the file with my editor, which I already edited, yes? I use vim so I should have a clean file.

Alexander Batischev

Oct 3, 2016, 1:09:53 PM10/3/16
to newsb...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 03, 2016 at 09:50:08AM -0700, Xtian wrote:
>> Newsbeuter also has edit-urls command (bound to E by default) which
>> will
>> open the file in the editor that you set through EDITOR environment
>> variable.
>>
>This edits the file with my editor, which I already edited, yes?

Yes, this opens the same file: ~/.newseuter/urls or
~/.config/newsbeuter/urls (depending on where you store your config.)

>I use vim so I should have a clean file.

I don't get why your file should be clean; can you explain?

Okay, so with that new info taken into account, I have two hypotheses:

1. You forgot to save the file.
2. You're editing the wrong file.

Can you please check those? Take note of the following (quoting section
4.21 of the doc):

> Newsbeuter implements limited support for the XDG Base Directory
> Specification. It needs to be set up manually by creating the
> following directories:
>
> ~/.local/share/newsbeuter/
> ~/.config/newsbeuter/
>
> If these directories exist or the environment variables
> $XDG_CONFIG_HOME and $XDG_DATA_HOME are set, newsbeuter will use these
> directories, otherwise it will default to ~/.newsbeuter as its
> configuration directory.

Newsbeuter actually reports (on startup) where it's reading the urls
file from, so take notice of that.

--
Regards,
Alexander Batischev

PGP key 356961A20C8BFD03
Fingerprint: CE6C 4307 9348 58E3 FD94 A00F 3569 61A2 0C8B FD03

signature.asc

Xtian

Oct 3, 2016, 1:27:51 PM10/3/16
to newsbeuter
> Newsbeuter implements limited support for the XDG Base Directory
> Specification. It needs to be set up manually by creating the
> following directories:
> ~/.local/share/newsbeuter/
> ~/.config/newsbeuter/

Aha!
```
 [xtian@MasterShake ~]$ find . -iname '*newsbeuter*'
./.config/newsbeuter
./.newsbeuter
./.local/share/newsbeuter
```

I found the `.newsbeuter ` adding the new feed quickly and it didn't occur to me the proper setting could be in `.config`.

Thanks for your help. I hope this post helps someone else (most likely me in future!)