saving is great, but opening in text editor would be even better!

Xtian

Oct 22, 2016, 11:08:22 AM10/22/16
to newsbeuter
I've been using newsbeuter for about two months now to process the technical programming sites I read (ie. Planet Python).
And these technical links fall into several buckets (and sometimes more than one):
  • new cool thing
  • lists of cool new things
  • discussion of cool new thing
or whatever. The point is I read some of these articles straight away (discussions). Others I save for future reference (projects), and yet others are sort of half way in between (lists).
For these last cases I save the file, and then open the file in vim or a visual text editor (I just happen to use geany) and edit the article and resave it.

Now it would be MAX cool if I had the Command Line had a command to open it in my fav text editor right away?

Any solutions for this?

//PS. Another pipeline for consuming news and information has me frequently posting a few link topics to my projects blog, but that's another can-o-worms.

Alexander Batischev

Oct 22, 2016, 12:04:23 PM10/22/16
to newsb...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 08:08:22AM -0700, Xtian wrote:
>For these last cases I save the file, and then open the file in vim or
>a visual text editor (I just happen to use geany) and edit the article
>and resave it.
>
>Now it would be MAX cool if I had the Command Line
><http://newsbeuter.org/doc/newsbeuter.html#_command_line>had a command
>to open it in my fav text editor right away?
>
>Any solutions for this?

None that are part of Newsbeuter.

But you can use inotify to run your editor on all new files that
Newsbeuter creates in `save-path`.

>//PS. Another pipeline for consuming news and information has me frequently
>posting a few link topics to my projects blog, but that's another
>can-o-worms.

Sounds like a job for bookmarking, but I need more details to be sure.

--
Regards,
Alexander Batischev

PGP key 356961A20C8BFD03
Fingerprint: CE6C 4307 9348 58E3 FD94 A00F 3569 61A2 0C8B FD03

signature.asc

Isaac Good

Oct 22, 2016, 1:37:23 PM10/22/16
to newsb...@googlegroups.com

You should be able to use a bookmark script to launch your favorite editor in a new terminal or screen window with the article in question. Some editors (eg vim) can take an HTTP URL. For others you may need to fetch the article with wget or curl then open the fetched file.