[Poll] Do you use next-, prev- and close-dialog? (^V, ^G, ^X)

Alexander Batischev

Jan 1, 2017, 6:48:12 AM1/1/17
to newsb...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Newsbeuter maintainer here.

In 2008 Newsbeuter gained a new feature: users could now freely switch
between dialogs. For example, one could open save dialog and then
quickly peek back at the article to come up with a better filename. Or
one could take a moment while reading an article to go update the feeds
to see if something more important came up.

This is a nice feature, but it adds complexity to the code. I wonder if
anyone is really using it; maybe we can just get rid of it?

Just "yes" or "no" will be sufficient—I'm mostly interested in numbers
here.

--
Regards,
Alexander Batischev

PGP key 356961A20C8BFD03
Fingerprint: CE6C 4307 9348 58E3 FD94 A00F 3569 61A2 0C8B FD03

signature.asc

Niels Kobschätzki

Jan 1, 2017, 7:08:17 AM1/1/17
to newsb...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jan 1, 2017, at 12:48, Alexander Batischev wrote:
> Hello, Newsbeuter maintainer here.
>
> In 2008 Newsbeuter gained a new feature: users could now freely switch
> between dialogs. For example, one could open save dialog and then
> quickly peek back at the article to come up with a better filename. Or
> one could take a moment while reading an article to go update the feeds
> to see if something more important came up.
>
> This is a nice feature, but it adds complexity to the code. I wonder if
> anyone is really using it; maybe we can just get rid of it?
>
> Just "yes" or "no" will be sufficient—I'm mostly interested in numbers
> here.

I have to look into that. I didn't even now that this exists.

Niels

Francesco Ariis

Jan 1, 2017, 7:33:08 AM1/1/17
to newsb...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jan 01, 2017 at 02:48:09PM +0300, Alexander Batischev wrote:
> Hello, Newsbeuter maintainer here.
>
> In 2008 Newsbeuter gained a new feature: users could now freely switch
> between dialogs. For example, one could open save dialog and then quickly
> peek back at the article to come up with a better filename. Or one could
> take a moment while reading an article to go update the feeds to see if
> something more important came up.
>
> This is a nice feature, but it adds complexity to the code. I wonder if
> anyone is really using it; maybe we can just get rid of it?
>
> Just "yes" or "no" will be sufficient—I'm mostly interested in numbers here.

Hello Alexander,
not using it, I would gladly lose it if it makes the work of
the maintainers easier
-F

Alexander Batischev

Jan 21, 2017, 7:49:55 AM1/21/17
to newsb...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to close the poll on February 1st (i.e. in a little over
a week). Please vote if you didn't yet!
signature.asc

Alexander Batischev

Feb 1, 2017, 12:48:52 PM2/1/17
to newsb...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

The poll is now over. To recap, the question was: is anyone using next-,
prev- and close-dialog (^V, ^G, and ^X keys)?

We've had 9 participants (2 here on the mailing list, 7 in the issue
tracker). One didn't explicitly vote but said that he wasn't aware of
the features; this means he wasn't using them, which is good enough for
the purposes of this poll. Another didn't explicitly vote but gave :+1:
to a comment voting "no"; I'll have to assume this means "me too", i.e.
"no".

Just one person voted "yes". This person also described his use-case:
keeping the shownotes accessible while listening to a podcast. I like
it.

Thus my decision is to *keep these features*.

Thank you to everyone who participated!
signature.asc