Problems to run with w3m

Diego Herchhoren

Oct 30, 2018, 2:09:59 PM10/30/18
to newsbeuter
Hi friends.

I'm running newsbeuter next to w3m.
When I try to open the browser, I get this error message that prevents me from opening with w3m:

/usr/bin/sensible-browser: 24: exec: /usr/bin/x-www-browser: Permission denied

What can be the error?

Very thanks.

Alexander Batischev

Oct 30, 2018, 2:46:27 PM10/30/18
to newsb...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

Newsbeuter is not maintained anymore; its last release was 3.5 years
ago. Consider switching to my fork, Newsboat: https://newsboat.org

>/usr/bin/sensible-browser: 24: exec: /usr/bin/x-www-browser: Permission
>denied

"/usr/bin/x-www-browser" looks suspicious to me; does that file really
exist? What happens if you just execute it in shell, like:

$ /usr/bin/x-www-browser

Overall, this looks more like a problem with your distribution than with
w3m to me. What distro are you running?

--
Regards,
Alexander Batischev

PGP key 356961A20C8BFD03
Fingerprint: CE6C 4307 9348 58E3 FD94 A00F 3569 61A2 0C8B FD03

signature.asc

Isaac Good

Oct 30, 2018, 8:23:49 PM10/30/18
to newsb...@googlegroups.com
> /usr/bin/sensible-browser: 24: exec: /usr/bin/x-www-browser: Permission denied
If I'm reading that right, that looks a whole lot like your config is pointing towards sensible-browser as your browser which in turn is trying to run a x-www-browser which is failing. Maybe fix your config to point more directly to your desired browser?

Diego Herchhoren

Nov 18, 2018, 9:28:08 AM11/18/18
to newsb...@googlegroups.com
Hi friends.
Sorry for my delay in answering.

Cuando ejecuto /usr/bin/x-www-browser accedo sin problemas. No es un
archivo, es una carpeta.

I use Debian Strecht (9.6).

"Maybe fix your config to point more directly to your desired browser?".

Sorry, but I don't understand...

Very thanks.

Diego Herchhoren

Nov 18, 2018, 9:28:40 AM11/18/18
to newsb...@googlegroups.com
Hi friends.

Sorry for my delay in answering.
When I run / usr / bin / x-www-browser I access without problems. It
is not a file, it is a folder.

I use Debian Strecht (9.6).

"Maybe fix your config to point more directly to your desired browser?".

Sorry, but I don't understand...

Very thanks.

Alexander Batischev

Nov 18, 2018, 9:59:29 AM11/18/18
to newsb...@googlegroups.com
Hello Diego!

I understand now about /usr/bin/x-www-browser. On Debian, it's indeed
a symlink pointing to /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser, which in turn
points to an actual browser. So that part no longer looks suspicious to
me. Thanks for the clarification!

However, when I compiled Newsbeuter 2.9 and ran it on Debian testing
with "sensible-browser" in the config, the URLs opened just fine. Still
not clear what's going wrong for you.

On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 03:28:38PM +0100, Diego Herchhoren wrote:
>>"Maybe fix your config to point more directly to your desired
>>browser?".
>
>Sorry, but I don't understand...

Find out where your browser is, and specify that path in your config.
Here is an example for Firefox.

If I type "firefox" in terminal, Firefox window opens. Let's find out
the full path to "firefox" command:

$ whereis firefox
firefox: /usr/bin/firefox

Cool! Now let's add a line to Newsbeuter config:

browser "/usr/bin/firefox"

(Comment out your existing "browser" setting).

Now Newsbeuter will call Firefox directly, not through
"sensible-browser" script.

If that doesn't work: are you running any "hardening" things like
AppArmor? They limit what applications can do, so they might prevent
Newsbeuter from starting the browser.
signature.asc