HLFSD

1 view

Dharmesh Mehta

Jul 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/16/96

Hello, I have heard about the new way of delivering email known as hlfsd where the mail is sent to your $HOME. But i do not believe that this type of a system will work with a network as large as ours (nearly 3000 users). Has anyone implemented this type of a structure successfully in such a large network. My other concern is that this will fail because we must maintain very strict security standards.

Thank you,

Dharmesh M. Mehta
EDM...@email.mot.com

John Caywood

Jul 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/18/96
to meht...@plhp002.comm.mot.com

In article <4sg7mf$r...@brokaw.comm.mot.com>,

meht...@plhp002.comm.mot.com (Dharmesh Mehta) writes:
>Hello, I have heard about the new way of delivering email known as hlfsd where the mail is sent to your $HOME. But i do not believe that this type of a system will work with a network as large as ours (nearly 3000 users). Has anyone implemented this type of a structure successfully in such a large network. My other concern is that this will fail because we must maintain very strict security standards.

I think it will work BETTER on your large network. The usual way to deliver
local mail is to append it to a mailbox in /var/mail or /var/spool/mail.
For you that will mean at least 3000 files in that directory -- maybe 6000
if your users read mail with POP3.

UNIX searches directories linearly -- on average, it will have to read 3000
directory entries before it finds the right mailbox. If you plan ahead and
create the 3000 home directories in 30-50 subdirectories, lookup should be
faster because the directories will be smaller.

This also sounds more secure to me: users need only access their own
directory, not a shared one.
--
John Caywood, Atlantic Coast Internet Consultants
ACIC, Inc. (757)518-9227 voice, 518-9232 FAX

Stefan Monnier

Jul 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/19/96

In article <4slm0k$l...@Grouper.Exis.Net>,
John Caywood <cay...@acic.com> wrote:
] UNIX searches directories linearly

Maybe most UNIXes do, but UNIX doesn't.
Most recent filesystems should be much smarter.
I know Irix's XFS (the standard filesstem since Irix-6.2) does and
I'm fairly convinced Digital Unix AdvFS does as well. These are unlikely to
be the only two.

Stefan