openwin//console problem on solaris 2.5.1 workstation

1 view

David Lewis

Oct 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/21/96

Hi gang!

I'm having a leetle problem with openwin on a solaris 2.5.1 sparc
workstation that goes like this (drumroll please ...)

Launching openwin from console (from either root or qualified user)
starts openwin, which hangs about halfway through openwin startup (at
that booteeeful openwin logo). I have to explicitly kill the openwin
processes that freeze (logged in via telnet) in order to get back to a
standard console prompt. Unfortunately console is then hosed, such that
I get garbage characters back from console when entering any characters.
Then I'll get an error message complaining of terminal speed on console.
Only resolution around this is to reboot the machine (from a terminal on
a telnet session). On reboot, console is normal.

Anyone have any solutions? This is 2.5.1 workstation which I need to
upgrade to server anyway (which I'm doing later this week, actually),
and I'm hoping that will resolve this little snafu (but I don't have
confidence of this ...).

All comments welcome.

Thanks bunches.

-David Lewis
System Administrator
Intervista Software

Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engineer

Oct 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/24/96

David Lewis <dwl...@intervista.com> writes:

>Launching openwin from console (from either root or qualified user)
>starts openwin, which hangs about halfway through openwin startup (at
>that booteeeful openwin logo). I have to explicitly kill the openwin
>processes that freeze (logged in via telnet) in order to get back to a
>standard console prompt. Unfortunately console is then hosed, such that
>I get garbage characters back from console when entering any characters.
>Then I'll get an error message complaining of terminal speed on console.
>Only resolution around this is to reboot the machine (from a terminal on
>a telnet session). On reboot, console is normal.

You use "kill -9"? Don't. It's almost enevr a good idea to use "kill -9".

Just kill will give X a chance to clean up.

If you haev a "hosed console" you need to run "kbd_mode -a" to return
to ASCII mode.

>Anyone have any solutions? This is 2.5.1 workstation which I need to
>upgrade to server anyway (which I'm doing later this week, actually),
>and I'm hoping that will resolve this little snafu (but I don't have
>confidence of this ...).

The hanging isn't good, ofcourse, so I suggest checking that out as well.

Tried any truss magic? Removing user's .files?

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Wesley McDonald

Oct 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/25/96

In article <326BE4...@intervista.com>, David Lewis <dwl...@intervista.com> says:

>Hi gang!
>
>I'm having a leetle problem with openwin on a solaris 2.5.1 sparc
>workstation that goes like this (drumroll please ...)

Hi, you might try renaming your openwin.init file thats in your login Dir
and retrying it. i don't use 2.5 but in 2.4 i've had problems when a user
had saved a work space that became corrupt. anyway good luck. later