Recommendations for a console switch?

Michael Morimoto

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
Hello, we are looking to consolidate our server consoles and are
thinking of getting a console switch. I'm not sure if this is the
right term for this kind of device. Basically we are looking for a
better solution for our server room which:

o allows a minimum of 10 servers to be hooked up
o can be easily expanded to 30 servers or more
o supports two or more consoles (of some kind)
o any console can connect to any server
o fairly easy cabling

There are a few devices out ther but I am looking for other sysadmin's
experiences and recommendation (either for or against). Thanks in
advance for your help

-- Michael Morimoto
Nokia Japan

Rev. Don Kool

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00

Michael Morimoto wrote:

We have been using a RARITAN switch for a couple of years now and
it works very well.

Hope this helps,
Don

--
********************** You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald * Man's gotta earn a living.

ne...@btoy1.rochester.ny.us

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
Michael Morimoto <michael....@nokia.com> wrote:
> Hello, we are looking to consolidate our server consoles and are
> thinking of getting a console switch. I'm not sure if this is the
> right term for this kind of device. Basically we are looking for a
> better solution for our server room which:

I have heard good things about Rose switches from a number of my customers:
www.rosel.com

-- Thomas Bullinger -------------------------------
http://www.btoy1.rochester.ny.us

ne...@btoy1.rochester.ny.us

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00

Aldo Pignotti

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
We've had good results with apex switches. We have eight of
them and we have been using them for over a year. Only one
unit has had any problems and apex replaced it free (it was
a couple of weeks before the unit's warranty was up).
--
It ain't no sin
to be glad you're alive - the boss

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

tiza...@my-deja.com

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00

> o allows a minimum of 10 servers to be hooked up
> o can be easily expanded to 30 servers or more
> o supports two or more consoles (of some kind)
> o any console can connect to any server
> o fairly easy cabling

Hi,

We had a console server set up under a SPARC
platform using AURORA multiport serial boards
which gave us about 32 ports to use. The software
was a shareware package from Simon Fraser
University and gave us allot of options but
basically allowed you to telnet to the console
server and bring up a true console window.

We connected the console server to a bunch of
different hosts, SUN, HP, Dec, but never figured
out how to wire the IBM gear. Also, some of the
older SUN gear never worked, the bit count seemed
to change from 8 to 7 midway through the boot
strap....

The software was maintained for a couple years but
finally became defunct. So we are looking for
another software package.

There have been thoughts of rebuilding the
AURORA/SPARC system under linux and getting some
kind of linux package to do the diry work.

There have been thoughts of ditching the AURORA
board for a digiboard - the bottom line is that is
has to be cheap.

Naturally you can get into an electronic switch
for about $2,000??? Maybe cheaper nowadays.

Later
-Dean

Odinn

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
Michael Morimoto wrote:

> Hello, we are looking to consolidate our server consoles and are
> thinking of getting a console switch. I'm not sure if this is the
> right term for this kind of device. Basically we are looking for a
> better solution for our server room which:
>
> o allows a minimum of 10 servers to be hooked up
> o can be easily expanded to 30 servers or more
> o supports two or more consoles (of some kind)
> o any console can connect to any server
> o fairly easy cabling
>
> There are a few devices out ther but I am looking for other sysadmin's
> experiences and recommendation (either for or against). Thanks in
> advance for your help
>
> -- Michael Morimoto
> Nokia Japan

We have the Rose Electronics Matrix KVM, it's expandable, up to 4
consoles shared or exclusive access to any server. We spent 3 months
researching KVMs before we settled on this product, and have been
extremely happy with it. Even allows you to setup users w/passwords,
access groups, etc.

Jim Sloan
Unix Admin
DHIAC