New Configuration

Dharmesh Mehta

Jul 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/16/96

We are currently looking for a better way to configure our network to eliminate the possibility for a single point failure - we basically would like to run our network in such a way that the crash of a single system would not destroy everyone's mailboxes. We currently are configured so that everyone's mailboxes are on a single server. This is obviously no good. There are also suggestions that we could put each person's mailbox on their own workstation but this would not allow remote access. The idea of hlfsd where mail is stored in each user's $home sounds good except that I do not think that it would be feasible with the large size of our network and the fact that our corporation has to maintain very strict security precautions. Does any one know of a structure that we could use to implement this type of a plan?

Thank you,

Dharmesh M. Mehta
EDM...@email.mot.com