is Usenet making a comeback? -- (3 Signs of growth)

HenHanna

Feb 20, 2024, 11:00:11 PMFeb 20
is Usenet making a comeback? -- (3 Signs of growth)

3 Signs of growth:

There are indications of renewed interest in Usenet in recent years.

This is attributed to several factors, including:

(1) Disillusionment with mainstream social media: Users seeking
more privacy and less censorship might find Usenet appealing.

(2) Niche appeal: Usenet thrives in specific areas like file
sharing and technical discussions due to its decentralized nature and
large historical archive.

(3) Improved accessibility: Modern Usenet providers offer
user-friendly interfaces and easier access compared to the past.

Big Al

Feb 20, 2024, 11:21:40 PMFeb 20
Or people cross posting to 5 groups at once ups the count.
Just look at Thunderbird, os-win10 and os-win11.
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4
Al

Frank Miller

Feb 20, 2024, 11:28:04 PMFeb 20
HenHanna wrote:
> is Usenet making a comeback? -- (3 Signs of growth)

[..off topic shit removed..]

Please return to your beloved Google Groups and stop sending off topic
mumble here. Thank you.

HenHanna

Feb 20, 2024, 11:46:55 PMFeb 20
are you saying it's Off-Topic in the Thunderbird NG ?

Newsgroups: news.software.readers, alt.comp.software.thunderbird, alt.usenet

John McCue

Feb 21, 2024, 10:44:35 AMFeb 21
Follow-ups trimmed to: news.software.readers

In news.software.readers HenHanna <HenH...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 20, 2024 at 8:28:04?PM UTC-8, Frank Miller wrote:
>> HenHanna wrote:
>> > is Usenet making a comeback? -- (3 Signs of growth)
>> [..off topic shit removed..]
>>
>> Please return to your beloved Google Groups and stop sending off topic
>> mumble here. Thank you.
>

> are you saying it's Off-Topic in the Thunderbird NG ?

I believe Frank is referring to how you are formatting your
posts :)

Your posts may not be taken seriously due to the format.
Please review this link to lean about formatting:

http://www.mugsy.org/asa_faq/getting_along/usenet.shtml

Thanks
John

--
[t]csh(1) - "An elegant shell, for a more... civilized age."
- Paraphrasing Star Wars

Kerr-Mudd, John

Feb 21, 2024, 12:21:12 PMFeb 21
On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 15:44:33 -0000 (UTC)
John McCue <jmc...@qball.jmcunx.com> wrote:

> Follow-ups trimmed to: news.software.readers
>
> In news.software.readers HenHanna <HenH...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> [..off topic shit removed..]
> >>
> >> Please return to your beloved Google Groups and stop sending off topic
> >> mumble here. Thank you.
> >

> > are you saying it's Off-Topic in the Thunderbird NG ?
>
> I believe Frank is referring to how you are formatting your
> posts :)
>
> Your posts may not be taken seriously due to the format.
> Please review this link to lean about formatting:
>
> http://www.mugsy.org/asa_faq/getting_along/usenet.shtml

I fear your good advice will come to nought; the Hen has a history of
failing to comply to standards. Sadly it has enough nounce to be able to
suirvive the GG switchoff. So no let off there.
--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Retro Guy

Feb 21, 2024, 6:00:38 PMFeb 21
On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 14:46:32 -0800, Sam wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 20:00:08 -0800, HenHanna <HenH...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> is Usenet making a comeback?
>
> Usenet is DOA! Long Live Usenet!
>
> It is filled with bots and people that spam flood the groups. Until it is
> completely moderated, we could use AI to do that, it will be the place of
> Alien, Lunatics and Terrorists.

And who defines Aliens, lunatics and Terrorists?

The last thing Usenet needs is to turn into some fully moderated forum. How
would you do that anyway? Moderation on Usenet is "Difficult by Design"

Sn!pe

Feb 21, 2024, 6:02:20 PMFeb 21
Sam <sa...@samt.invalid> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 20:00:08 -0800, HenHanna <HenH...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > is Usenet making a comeback?
>
> Usenet is DOA! Long Live Usenet!
>
> It is filled with bots and people that spam flood the groups. Until it is
> completely moderated, we could use AI to do that, it will be the place of
> Alien, Lunatics and Terrorists.

Usenet's USP is that it is the last bastion of free speech,*
decentralised, uncensorable, owned by nobody but served by many.

Moderation and free speech are mutually incompatible. Yes, there is
bad behaviour, that's the way the world is. Learn to use a killfile and
you'll be fine.

* disregarding darknet, obvs.
(It is very dark there, you may be eaten by a grue.)

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Frank Miller

Feb 21, 2024, 6:20:05 PMFeb 21
John McCue wrote:
> Follow-ups trimmed to: news.software.readers
>
> In news.software.readers HenHanna <HenH...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> [..off topic shit removed..]
>>>
>>> Please return to your beloved Google Groups and stop sending off topic
>>> mumble here. Thank you.
>>

>> are you saying it's Off-Topic in the Thunderbird NG ?
>
> I believe Frank is referring to how you are formatting your
> posts :)

Not the formatting but the irrelevant content. The fucked up formatting is
just a bonus. But what could you expect from a google groups user?

Frank Miller

Feb 21, 2024, 8:05:29 PMFeb 21
Sam wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 20:00:08 -0800, HenHanna <HenH...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> is Usenet making a comeback?
>
> Usenet is DOA! Long Live Usenet!
>
> It is filled with bots and people that spam flood the groups. Until it is
> completely moderated, we could use AI to do that, it will be the place of
> Alien, Lunatics and Terrorists.

Goobye sockpuppet. *plonk*

Frank Miller

Feb 21, 2024, 8:06:09 PMFeb 21
Goobye sockpuppet. *plonk*

Paul

Feb 21, 2024, 11:31:26 PMFeb 21
That is a regular poster with a long history.

Paul