getting an error message "Cannot create file <drive letter>:\xnews\<server name>.newsrc"

Mad Dog Mike

Oct 1, 2020, 7:53:46 AM10/1/20
I finish reading articles in a group and I'll either catch up or just close
the group window and I get an error message

"Cannot create file <drive letter>:\xnews\<server name>.newsrc"

this is something new happening to me. Xnews has worked without a hitch
for years.

raf

Oct 1, 2020, 2:06:02 PM10/1/20
Looks like your newsserver got trottled.

Grant Taylor

Oct 1, 2020, 2:15:33 PM10/1/20
On 10/1/20 5:53 AM, Mad Dog Mike wrote:
> I finish reading articles in a group and I'll either catch up or just
> close the group window and I get an error message
>
> "Cannot create file <drive letter>:\xnews\<server name>.newsrc"

Presuming that you're communicating with your server using NNTP....

This message seems entirely client side to me.

Can you access <drive letter>:\xnews\<server name>.newsrc on your computer?

Can you edit <drive letter>:\xnews\<server name>.newsrc on your computer?

It looks to me like Xnews is trying to update the listed .newsrc file
and unable to do so.

> this is something new happening to me. Xnews has worked without a
> hitch for years.

A definition of broken comes to mind: It used to work and now it does not.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Mad Dog Mike

Nov 16, 2020, 5:18:42 AM11/16/20
Grant Taylor <gta...@tnetconsulting.net> wrote in

> On 10/1/20 5:53 AM, Mad Dog Mike wrote:
>> I finish reading articles in a group and I'll either catch up or just
>> close the group window and I get an error message
>>
>> "Cannot create file <drive letter>:\xnews\<server name>.newsrc"
>
> Presuming that you're communicating with your server using NNTP....
>
> This message seems entirely client side to me.
>
> Can you access <drive letter>:\xnews\<server name>.newsrc on your
> computer?

Yes

> Can you edit <drive letter>:\xnews\<server name>.newsrc on your
> computer?

Yes

Mad Dog Mike

Nov 28, 2020, 4:24:39 AM11/28/20
Mad Dog Mike <slowcon...@56kers.com> wrote in
turns out I wasn't running the latest version to the software (2006). I
found a 2009 and seems to have cleared up the problem, for now.