Xnews problem

KenK

Jul 23, 2020, 1:59:51 PM7/23/20
One of the many Xnews newsgroups has recently begun retrieving thousands of
message headers instead of just those unread.It shows a window that lists
the number of messages to be retrieved. I have to manually change that
figure to the correct number. An annoyance.

Anyone guess what changed? How I can fix it? Using XP if it matters.

I tried Google with no success.

TIA

Kerr-Mudd,John

Jul 24, 2020, 6:51:27 AM7/24/20
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 17:59:49 GMT, KenK <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

> One of the many Xnews newsgroups has recently begun retrieving
> thousands of message headers instead of just those unread.It shows a
> window that lists the number of messages to be retrieved. I have to
> manually change that figure to the correct number. An annoyance.
>
> Anyone guess what changed? How I can fix it? Using XP if it matters.

I've had that happen; I suspect a corruption in a local file; I just left
it to re-DL the headers and then marked 'em as read.

> I tried Google with no success.
>
> TIA

YW

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.

Ammammata

Jul 28, 2020, 9:28:56 AM7/28/20
Il giorno Fri 24 Jul 2020 12:51:26p, *Kerr-Mudd,John* ha inviato su
news.software.readers il messaggio
news:XnsAC04789E57...@144.76.35.198. Vediamo cosa ha scritto:

> On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 17:59:49 GMT, KenK <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> One of the many Xnews newsgroups has recently begun retrieving
>> thousands of message headers instead of just those unread.It shows a
>> window that lists the number of messages to be retrieved. I have to
>> manually change that figure to the correct number. An annoyance.
>>
>> Anyone guess what changed? How I can fix it? Using XP if it matters.
>>
> I've had that happen; I suspect a corruption in a local file; I just
> left it to re-DL the headers and then marked 'em as read.

yes, I confirm, sometimes it happens and xnews gets all messages from
scratch, losing all the previous folders... and scores as well :/

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-

Nil

Aug 8, 2020, 9:56:26 PM8/8/20
On 23 Jul 2020, KenK <inv...@invalid.com> wrote in
news.software.readers:

> One of the many Xnews newsgroups has recently begun retrieving
> thousands of message headers instead of just those unread.It shows
> a window that lists the number of messages to be retrieved. I have
> to manually change that figure to the correct number. An
> annoyance.
>
> Anyone guess what changed? How I can fix it? Using XP if it
> matters.
>
> I tried Google with no success.

I don't recall the specifics, but I remember that earlier versions of
Xnews had a limit on how many article numbers it could store, due to
the author's data number type. The result was that groups with very
many articles would lose track after a certain amount. A fixed version
was released. It's classified as an alpha or beta, but I can assure you
that it works just fine. It's version 2006.08.24

Ammammata

Aug 10, 2020, 5:39:15 AM8/10/20
Il giorno Sun 09 Aug 2020 03:56:24a, *Nil* ha inviato su
news:XnsAC13DF2F...@wheedledeedle.moc. Vediamo cosa ha scritto:

> It's version 2006.08.24

I'm running ??.01:30

yes, two question marks: ??

Mike Dee

Sep 9, 2020, 11:40:24 PM9/9/20
Ammammata wrote:

> Il giorno Sun 09 Aug 2020 03:56:24a, *Nil* ha inviato su
> news.software.readers il messaggio
> news:XnsAC13DF2F...@wheedledeedle.moc. Vediamo cosa ha
> scritto:
>
>> It's version 2006.08.24
>
> I'm running ??.01:30
>
> yes, two question marks: ??

Replying to an old post, but this may be of use to someone:

Version ??.01:30 is from 2005 or earlier.

Following (Web Archive) link is an Xnews changlog dating from 2009
- the final released "Test" version, down to before the version you
were posting from.

%%------------------------------
Specifically for the comments:

2005.09.25:
[...]
x Per Blinky request, no more ?? in version :)

??.01.30:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100106091320/http://xnews.newsguy.com/test/change.txt

I use version 2009.05.01 the final "test" version:
http://web.archive.org/web/20100109043442/http://xnews.newsguy.com:80/test

The Web Archive download is labelled "TEST-64.ZIP" it is not 64bit
- this is a test version to support > 2^31 article numbers.

And here's a last known Xnews home page (Web Archive):
http://web.archive.org/web/20141227184804/http://xnews.newsguy.com/

--
dee