Hello

LucLan

Feb 20, 2024, 2:47:16 PMFeb 20
Hello,

I have a question, how to set tin (or other reader) not to send the User
agent?

Thank you.

Marco Moock

Feb 20, 2024, 3:43:20 PMFeb 20
On 20.02.2024 um 21:47 Uhr LucLan wrote:

> I have a question, how to set tin (or other reader) not to send the
> User agent?

In Thunderbird:

mailnews.headers.sendUserAgent

--
kind regards
Marco

Send spam to muel...@cartoonies.org

LucLan

Feb 20, 2024, 3:47:29 PMFeb 20
On 20.02.2024 22:43, Marco Moock wrote:
> On 20.02.2024 um 21:47 Uhr LucLan wrote:
>
>> I have a question, how to set tin (or other reader) not to send the
>> User agent?
>
> In Thunderbird:
>
> mailnews.headers.sendUserAgent

Thank you!

Computer Nerd Kev

Feb 20, 2024, 3:54:52 PMFeb 20
LucLan <add...@is.invalid> wrote:
> I have a question, how to set tin (or other reader) not to send the User
> agent?

Put/change "advertising=OFF" in ~/.tin/tinrc, or via the
configuration menu. Or in ~/.tin/attributes to apply settings only
for certain groups.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

LucLan

Feb 21, 2024, 2:17:34 AMFeb 21
On 20.02.2024 22:54, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> LucLan <add...@is.invalid> wrote:
>> I have a question, how to set tin (or other reader) not to send the User
>> agent?
>
> Put/change "advertising=OFF" in ~/.tin/tinrc, or via the
> configuration menu. Or in ~/.tin/attributes to apply settings only
> for certain groups.

Thank you.

LucLan

Feb 21, 2024, 3:24:09 AMFeb 21
On 20.02.2024 22:54, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> LucLan <add...@is.invalid> wrote:
>> I have a question, how to set tin (or other reader) not to send the User
>> agent?
>
> Put/change "advertising=OFF" in ~/.tin/tinrc, or via the
> configuration menu. Or in ~/.tin/attributes to apply settings only
> for certain groups.

I have another question, is 'tin' capable to connect to a tls server
(nntps port 563)?

I tried to add port to ~/.tin/newsrctable
also I tried to add -p 563 to the command line...

the result is it do not connect, and it seems that 'tin' can not handle
ssl/tls

Thank you.

Dave Royal

Feb 21, 2024, 4:09:38 AMFeb 21
LucLan <add...@is.invalid> Wrote in message:
It has a setting:
tls_ca_cert_file
The name of file containing all trusted CA certificates used for
NNTPS (RFC8143) connections. If left empty the system default
will be used.
<http://www.tin.org/bin/man.cgi?section=5&topic=tin>
--
Remove numerics from my email address.

LucLan

Feb 21, 2024, 5:19:47 AMFeb 21
tls_ca_cert_file is not present in ~/tin/tinrc

if I add it manually, after first run of tin, the parameter is deleted
by the application.

I use tin 2.6.3, installed from AUR (arch)

something is fishy ...

Dave Royal

Feb 21, 2024, 5:39:42 AMFeb 21
I don't have in in tinrc either. But I haven't used secure nntp
since secnews.netscape. But it's evidence that tin does (should,
can, did) support tls. What nntps server are you trying to
connect to?

LucLan

Feb 21, 2024, 5:43:09 AMFeb 21
'--with-nntps' is missing from PKGBUILD

mystery solved :-/

LucLan

Feb 21, 2024, 5:45:49 AMFeb 21

LucLan

Feb 21, 2024, 6:55:48 AMFeb 21
I added --with-nntps to PKGBUILD file.
recompile the AUR package, and reinstall

added local CA certs to tls_ca_cert_file parameter

and start the application with -T parameter.

NNTPS is alive :)

Computer Nerd Kev

Feb 21, 2024, 3:43:59 PMFeb 21
NNTPS support has only been in Tin for the last couple of versions.
I'm guessing that the AUR package maintainer didn't notice that the
new option to enable it was available.