Newsreaders eh?

Jim S

Apr 17, 2021, 3:07:58 PMApr 17
I have used almost all known newsgroup readers and just when I think I have
found my ideal, it bites my ankle.
I have sung the praises of Microplanet Gravity many times, but I suddenly
realized the pressing the 'Ignore Thread' does no such thing and on the
next open, there it is.
40tude Dialog actually does 'ignore thread' (it calls it 'subject plonk
rule') and also plonks by sender, but it asks by opening a window every
time. If I wasn't sure I wouldn't have asked.
Xnews is a funny old program and I yet have to find out how to 'Ignore
Thread' although I can Plonk a sender OK. I could live with it if I could
block threads with one click.
Thunderbird is my default email client and I would rather not use it for
news, but if you do there is a loy of left-clicking to contend with
The others I have used have either too much or too little
Just a bit of spleen-venting - ignore the thread if you can - plonk me if
you feel the need. :)
--
Jim S

Nil

Apr 17, 2021, 6:10:57 PMApr 17
On 17 Apr 2021, Jim S <j...@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote in
news.software.readers:

> Xnews is a funny old program and I yet have to find out how to
> 'Ignore Thread' although I can Plonk a sender OK. I could live
> with it if I could block threads with one click.

In Xnews, hit S to bring up the "Add to Score File" dialog box. To
ingore a thread, choose the "Kill Entire Thread" preset from the
bottom, and an Expiry Date, then click Apply.

Not one click, but not difficult.

Jim S

Apr 17, 2021, 6:40:06 PMApr 17
Thank you.
Didn't know that.
--
Jim S

Bernd Rose

Apr 18, 2021, 2:21:48 AMApr 18
On Sat, 17th Apr 2021 20:07:56 +0100, Jim S wrote:

> 40tude Dialog actually does 'ignore thread' (it calls it 'subject plonk
> rule') and also plonks by sender, but it asks by opening a window every
> time. If I wasn't sure I wouldn't have asked.

I already showed you /twice/, how to do NamePlonk and SubjectPlonk without
additional question in 40tude Dialog. (By adding two /very/ simple scripts
and assigning each a keyboard shortcut of your choice.)

The last time you attributed reviving this question to "plain old senility".
Seems to be even worse than that... :-(

Bernd

Jim S

Apr 18, 2021, 4:23:30 AMApr 18
Of course you may be right (I am 80), but I have no recollection of
receiving either reply.
Using Dialog I pulled-up your message and saved it.
I have done very little scripting in Dialog since I first installed it who
knows when, but I'll give it a bash
Thanks for bothering with me
--
Jim S

Jim S

Apr 18, 2021, 5:53:37 AMApr 18
In article <17ztypxu0bb1p$.d...@b.rose.tmpbox.news.arcor.de>,
b.rose...@arcor.de says...
I understand the scripts, but not this :
First stuffing the keyboard buffer with Alt+o (to get the
Scoring&Actions
window closed, later on) may seem counter-intuitive. But the scripts
work only this way round.

--
Jim S

Bernd Rose

Apr 18, 2021, 6:27:06 AMApr 18
On Sun, 18th Apr 2021 09:23:28 +0100, Jim S wrote:

[40tude Dialog: Plonk without confirmation dialog]
>> I already showed you /twice/, how to do NamePlonk and SubjectPlonk without
>> additional question in 40tude Dialog. (By adding two /very/ simple scripts
>> and assigning each a keyboard shortcut of your choice.)

>> The last time you attributed reviving this question to "plain old senility".
>> Seems to be even worse than that... :-(
[...]
> Of course you may be right (I am 80), but I have no recollection of
> receiving either reply.

That's really sad.

Your answer to my first message (half a year ago):

Your answer to my second one (barely 2 months ago):

I hope, you are - at least - still doing well in everyday situations...
Bernd

Steve

Apr 18, 2021, 7:02:05 AMApr 18
Just because there are a lot of arseholes on usenet doesn't make it
compulsory.

Bernd Rose

Apr 18, 2021, 7:04:11 AMApr 18
On Sun, 18th Apr 2021 10:53:35 +0100, Jim S wrote:

[40tude Dialog: 2 Scripts to plonk without confirmation dialog]
> I understand the scripts, but not this :
> First stuffing the keyboard buffer with Alt+o (to get the
> Scoring&Actions
> window closed, later on) may seem counter-intuitive. But the scripts
> work only this way round.

This is just an explanation of the inner workings of the scripts. You
can safely ignore this.

The following shows a complete walk-through for creating the scripts and
assigning the shortcuts. The whole process can, IMHO, be finished in
less than 5 minutes.

1) Open the Script editor: menu Settings -> Scripting -> Scripting...
2) Select the "Custom scripts" tab on the left side of the Script editor
3) Choose menu File -> New script... and enter DoPlonk as name.
Now a new entry DoPlonk.ds is created in the list of "Custom scripts"
This entry is pre-selected.
4) In the script body window on the right side you'll see 3 lines of code.
5) Overwrite these 3 lines with:

Program DoPlonk;
Begin
PostKey(79, false, true, false, false, false, false, false, false);
ADo('AddPlonkFilter');
End.

6) Save the script: menu File -> Save
7) Compile the script: menu Script -> Compile

8) Choose menu File -> New script... again and enter DoSubjPlonk as name.
9) Again overwrite the 3 standard lines of script code. This time with:

Program DoSubjPlonk;
Begin
PostKey(79, false, true, false, false, false, false, false, false);
ADo('AddSubjectPlonkFilter');
End.

10) Save the script: menu File -> Save
11) Compile the script: menu Script -> Compile

12) Close the Script editor window.

13) Open the Shortcut editor: menu Settings -> Configure buttons/shortcuts
14) Choose "Scripts" (the last entry in the Categories list on the left side
15) Select DoPlonk from the Commands list on the right side
16) Click in the field beside the label "Shortcut*"
17) Hit whatever keyboard shortcut you wish to assign to DoPlonk
18) Select DoSubjPlonk from the Commands list
19) Click again in the field beside the label "Shortcut*"
20) Hit whatever keyboard shortcut you wish to assign to DoSubjPlonk
21) Close the Shortcut editor

When you try to assign a shortcut to DoPlonk or DoSubjPlonk, which is
already in use by another command, you can decide to either assign the
shortcut, anyway. (Overwrite? -> YES.) This way, the former command will
loose that shortcut and DoPlonk or DoSubjPlonk will be executed by this
shortcut from now on.

Or you can cancel the assignment of that shortcut. (Overwrite? -> NO.)
This way, you'll be back in the field "Shortcut*" and can try to assign
another one.

HTH.
Bernd

Jim S

Apr 18, 2021, 9:43:57 AMApr 18
Thanks again Bernd, but one of us is missing the point here.
I am happy with the the plonk and plonk by subject that cuurently exist.
All I am asking is that I prevent the window opening for confirmation every
time. Surely I don't need to compl]ile those scripts just for that to
happen?
--
Jim S

Bernd Rose

Apr 18, 2021, 12:20:43 PMApr 18
On Sun, 18th Apr 2021 14:43:53 +0100, Jim S wrote:

[40tude Dialog: 2 Plonk-scripts]
> Thanks again Bernd, but one of us is missing the point here.
> I am happy with the the plonk and plonk by subject that cuurently exist.
> All I am asking is that I prevent the window opening for confirmation every
> time. Surely I don't need to compl]ile those scripts just for that to
> happen?

In its standard setup 40tude Dialog always shows the Scoring&Actions window
for confirmation. But 40tude Dialog functionality can be extremely expanded
by scripts.

Of course, most users do not want to learn programming, just to get a
program working the way they want. That's completely understandable. But
with 40tude Dialog many scripts exist already. And some people are still
out there, who might write new scripts for you and other people, whenever
the need arises.

A script needs only to be installed once. And only once it is necessary to
assign a shortcut to it. I wrote a step by step guide for you to set up
both Plonk scripts. Virtually /every/ menu selection and button click
is written down. Best, you copy the text from my previous post in a text
editor (like Notepad or Notepad++) and open the main 40tude Dialog and
the editor windows side by side. This way, you can follow each step
with more ease. (And you can copy the 5 script lines for each script
from that notepad window.)

Don't be afraid of the term "Compile". Think of it as another "Save".
You do not need to prepare anything for this step and nothing fancy will
happen.

After you followed all 21 steps of my guide, you'll never have to think
about these scripts again. (As long as you do not set up 40tude Dialog,
anew.) You just need to remember the two keyboard shortcuts you assigned
to these scripts. And whenever you hit those shortcuts, the Plonks are
added to the Scoring&Actions list *without* showing this window and
waiting for your input.

If you do not want to do all this by yourself, maybe ask a family member,
a neighbor or a friend to do the 21 steps for you. Like I said: It is
a one-time operation.

HTH.
Bernd

R.Wieser

Apr 18, 2021, 1:19:19 PMApr 18
Bernd

Is 40tude some kind of super-secret five-eyes snoopware or something ?
'Cause I just tried to visit http://www.40tude.com/ (link provided by
another webpage) and got a username & password popup ... Same on the
download link.

Almost as if they do not want to have their stuff used. :-)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Bernd Rose

Apr 18, 2021, 1:50:59 PMApr 18
The author (Marcus Mönnig) abandoned the program (and the website) ~15 years
ago. (Out of personal reasons.)

Some (myself included) still regard 40tude Dialog as one of the best Usenet
readers for text groups. - If not the best, still... ;-)

Some tweaks are necessary or recommended, like using an SSL proxy like
stunnel for encrypted communication.

Several places still show information and some provide downloads of the
program. One of the most current is the German FAQ for 40tude Dialog,
which we (a couple of users) considerably reworked last year. Maybe,
reading it through Google Translate will show you the gist:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=de&tl=en&u=https://www.barghahn-online.de/4td_faq

HTH.
Bernd

R.Wieser

Apr 18, 2021, 2:07:57 PMApr 18
Bernd,

> The author (Marcus Mönnig) abandoned the program (and the website)
> ~15 years ago. (Out of personal reasons.)

Hmmm ... Still makes me curious what the domain is currently used for (what
the name and password is trying to hide).

> Some (myself included) still regard 40tude Dialog as one of
> the best Usenet readers for text groups. - If not the best, still... ;-)

I saw you talking about it being scriptable and though it would perhaps be a
replacement for my current newsroader.

> Some tweaks are necessary or recommended, like using an
> SSL proxy like stunnel for encrypted communication.

Ackk. well, that makes it a no-go. I've got a few different newsgroup
servers listed, and afaik ssl proxies do not work all too well in that case.

Thanks for the response.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Lewis

Apr 18, 2021, 2:19:16 PMApr 18
SSL Proxies work just fine, and being proxies, are generally invisible to
the server you are connecting to.

However, if you do not care about an SSL connection to a news server
where you are posting public messages, then SSL/TLS is not an issue.

--
Of course, there were various groups seeking his overthrow, and this
was right and proper and the sign of a vigorous and healthy

Bernd Rose

Apr 18, 2021, 2:27:15 PMApr 18
On Sun, 18th Apr 2021 20:07:50 +0200, R.Wieser wrote:

[40tude Dialog]
>> Some tweaks are necessary or recommended, like using an
>> SSL proxy like stunnel for encrypted communication.
>
> Ackk. well, that makes it a no-go. I've got a few different newsgroup
> servers listed, and afaik ssl proxies do not work all too well in that case.

As long as you assign each one a different dedicated port/socket for local
communication, there are no problems, whatsoever, in my experience. The
necessary information can be found on the Security page of afore mentioned
FAQ: "How do you set up encrypted connections to mail and news servers?"

Direct link:
https://www.barghahn-online.de/4td_faq/sicherheit.php#ssl_tls
Translation:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=de&tl=en&u=https://www.barghahn-online.de/4td_faq/sicherheit.php#ssl_tls

Nevertheless, it /is/ an additional effort necessary.

Bernd

Jim S

Apr 18, 2021, 3:15:21 PMApr 18
You underestimate my skills.
I may be old, but I'm not daft.
I installed PlonkWithAddress andSkipToNextThreads yonks ago (and
reinstalled them when I lost them).
I think we might just end this dialog here (See what I did then :o))
All I wanted was to avoid opening the window.
It is just as easy use 'Skip to the next newsgroup' and ignore prople and
topics that keep returning.
I may even just go back to Gravity as it does the job without me setting
the rules.

--
Jim S

Bernd Rose

Apr 18, 2021, 3:45:00 PMApr 18
On Sun, 18th Apr 2021 20:15:17 +0100, Jim S wrote:

[Install 2 plonk scripts, that prevent opening a confirmation window]
>> If you do not want to do all this by yourself, maybe ask a family member,
>> a neighbor or a friend to do the 21 steps for you. Like I said: It is
>> a one-time operation.
[...]
> You underestimate my skills.
[...]
> I installed PlonkWithAddress andSkipToNextThreads yonks ago (and
> reinstalled them when I lost them).
[...]
> All I wanted was to avoid opening the window.

Which both scripts provide.

> I may even just go back to Gravity as it does the job without me setting
> the rules.

I am totally at loss:
-> You see no problem in installing the scripts.
-> The scripts do what you want and ensure, that no window will prompt
you to verify and maybe change or alter any plonk rule.
-> You nevertheless will /not/ install the scripts.
-> Instead, you'll switch to a newsreader, which (according to your your OP)
does not provide (some of) the functionality you need.
????

> I think we might just end this dialog here

I guess so.

Bernd

bill

Apr 18, 2021, 6:24:47 PMApr 18
On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 20:27:12 +0200, Bernd Rose wrote:

> As long as you assign each one a different dedicated port/socket for local
> communication, there are no problems, whatsoever, in my experience.

I agree with Bernd stunnel with Dialog should work with multiple servers.

As an example you might want stunnel.conf for dizum & eternal september.
You could set your newsreader to server:port 127.0.0.1:11111 for dizum.
And you'd then set the newsreader server:port to 127.0.0.1:22222 for ET.

Then I'm guessing but the stunnel.conf file would probably look like this.
; dizum
[nntp]
client = yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:11111
connect = news.dizum.net:563
verifyChain = yes
CAfile = ca-certs.pem
checkHost = news.dizum.net
OCSPaia = yes
;
; eternal september
[nntp]
client = yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:22222
connect = news.eternal-september.org:563
verifyChain = yes
CAfile = ca-certs.pem
checkHost = news.eternal-september.org
OCSPaia = yes

--
What do you call a pencil sharpener that can't sharpen pencils?
Broken

Bernd Rose

Apr 19, 2021, 12:16:42 AMApr 19
Small correction: The section names in stunnel.conf need to be different,
like [nntp_dizum] and [nntp_es] or [nntp1] and [nntp2]. The rest looks
fine to me, from a quick glance.

The port numbers can not be arbitrary high. But the examples are in the
range of 16 bit unsigned and therefore okay. No port numbers should be
used, that may be used by a different server on localhost. It is best to
check against a List of well-known port numbers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

Again, the examples shown should be okay.

Bernd

Jim S

Apr 19, 2021, 3:46:17 AMApr 19
Thanks for your help on this, but clearly I am asking too much.
I have installed the scripts that you provided and yes they work, but
having to allocate them to keys of my choice and not the toolbar icons I am
used to (e.g. the downward arrow), means that short of wrting them on the
back of my hand I am never going to remember them for very long.
I was disappointed too that having plonked with or without subject the
thread remains visible and I need to get rid with yet another keystroke.
One bright spot along the way was the rediscovery of the scripts I
installed long ago, most of them 'event scripts' that happen without me
knowing, but Plonkwithaddress is good and had lost its allocated Keystroke.
Of course when I allocate a keystroke it opens that damn window and I will
almost certainly forget it without a tattoo. :(

--
Jim S

bill

Apr 19, 2021, 9:25:53 AMApr 19
On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 06:16:40 +0200, Bernd Rose wrote:

> The section names in stunnel.conf need to be different,
> like [nntp_dizum] and [nntp_es] or [nntp1] and [nntp2].

Thank you for that correction example as I haven't tested it out yet since I
don't have an account on those encrypted servers (some are open though).

Here is my correction so that the rest of the people can use them.
; Set Dialog server:port to 127.0.0.1:11111 & do not check the SSL box!
; Requires free login/password to this open read only news server
[nntp-esep]
client = yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:11111
connect = news.eternal-september.org:563
verifyChain = yes
CAfile = ca-certs.pem
checkHost = news.eternal-september.org
OCSPaia = yes
;
; Set Dialog server:port to 127.0.0.1:11112 & do not check the SSL box!
; This is an open read/write news server (login/password are blank)
[nntp-mixm]
client = yes
accept = localhost:11112
connect = news.mixmin.net:563
CAfile = ca-certs.pem
verifyChain = yes
checkHost = news.mixmin.net
OCSPaia = yes
;
; Set Dialog server:port to 127.0.0.1:11113 & do not check the SSL box!
; This is an open read only news server (login/password are blank)
[nntp-dizm]
client = yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:11113
connect = news.dizum.net:563
verifyChain = yes
CAfile = ca-certs.pem
checkHost = news.dizum.net
OCSPaia = yes

I tested the bottom two but I don't have an account on Eternal September so
maybe someone else can test the first one out for the rest of us to win?
--
Not having a pencil sharpener is useless for two reasons
1 - Pencils would be pointless

Bernd Rose

Apr 19, 2021, 12:42:19 PMApr 19
On Mon, 19th Apr 2021 08:46:12 +0100, Jim S wrote:

[40tude Dialog: Plonk scripts]
> Thanks for your help on this, but clearly I am asking too much.

No. Quite the opposite. You asked less than necessary to understand your
requirements.

> I have installed the scripts that you provided and yes they work, but
> having to allocate them to keys of my choice and not the toolbar icons I am
> used to (e.g. the downward arrow), means that short of wrting them on the
> back of my hand I am never going to remember them for very long.

If you wish to add the scripts as buttons to your toolbar, you follow these
additional steps:

1) Open the Scripting Editor again (Settings -> Scripting -> Scripting...).
2) Select DoPlonk.ds from the list of Custom scripts on the left side
3) In the lowest left part of the Scripting Editor window is an area named
"Settings for active script". Select an icon of your choice there, and
write "Plonk by name" or another recognizable text as "Hint"
4) Position the Script Editor window in a way that you see the toolbar(s)
of the main 40tude Dialog windows
5) Click the "Show button config" button in the lowest left part of the
Scripting Editor Window. (This opens the "Customize Toolbars" dialog.)
6) Select the last entry "Scripts" from the "Categories" list on the left
side of that dialog
7) Select DoPlonk from the "Commands" list
8) If you didn't already assign a shortcut to the script, you can do so now
9) Drag the DoPlonk entry from the "Commands" list to the position in the
toolbar, where you wish to see that toolbar button
10) Point the mouse to that new toolbar button. You should see a tooltip
containing the "Hint" you wrote above and the assigned keyboard shortcut
=> If you want to remove a toolbar button, drag the big square button named
"Del" from the upper right corner of the "Customize Toolbars" dialog to
the toolbar button you wish to remove.
11) Close the "Customize Toolbars" dialog

12) Repeat steps 2) to 11) for the DoSubjPlonk.ds script.

You can also assign custom icons to scripts. For these to be selectable,
you must first place suitable icon files in the Scripts\Icon\ subfolder
of the main 40tude Dialog directory.

> I was disappointed too that having plonked with or without subject the
> thread remains visible and I need to get rid with yet another keystroke.

Another misunderstanding. Plonking usually is targeted to the future.
The rule is stored and applied, whenever new messages are retrieved.
What you want (if I understand your text above, correctly) is to plonk
*and* ignore the current subthread, as well. To do this, you need to
expand the DoPlonk/DoSubjPlonk scripts:

Program DoPlonk;
Begin
PostKey(79, false, true, false, false, false, false, false, false);
ADo('AddPlonkFilter');
ADo('Ignore');
ADo('RefreshView');
End.

Program DoSubjPlonk;
Begin
PostKey(79, false, true, false, false, false, false, false, false);
ADo('AddSubjectPlonkFilter');
ADo('Ignore');
ADo('RefreshView');
End.

If your current view is set to /not/ show ignored messages, this will
immediately hide the ignored subthread.

> One bright spot along the way was the rediscovery of the scripts I
> installed long ago, most of them 'event scripts' that happen without me
> knowing, but Plonkwithaddress is good and had lost its allocated Keystroke.
> Of course when I allocate a keystroke it opens that damn window and I will
> almost certainly forget it without a tattoo. :(

Add all relevant commands as icons to toolbars. This way, you can access
them by mouse *and* (by just pointing with the mouse) read the shortcut
from the tooltip.

Bernd

Jim S

Apr 19, 2021, 1:28:13 PMApr 19
That seems to have gone well.
I shall have to play a while to check I transcribed eveything correctly.

Since I have not used 'plonk with address' for years (probably,) it would
seem unnecessary for me. I seem to recall that I got it from the script
library and seemed quite complex (that means I didn't understand it and
just copied blindly). Is there a minor tweak to prevent the window opening
and hide/ignore the thread as above: otherwise I will go on forgetting
about it.
--
Jim S

Bernd Rose

Apr 19, 2021, 2:17:06 PMApr 19
On Mon, 19th Apr 2021 18:28:10 +0100, Jim S wrote:

[Remember keyboard shortcuts]
>> Add all relevant commands as icons to toolbars. This way, you can access
>> them by mouse *and* (by just pointing with the mouse) read the shortcut
>> from the tooltip.
[...]
> That seems to have gone well.

> Since I have not used 'plonk with address' for years (probably,) it would
> seem unnecessary for me. I seem to recall that I got it from the script
> library and seemed quite complex (that means I didn't understand it and
> just copied blindly). Is there a minor tweak to prevent the window opening
> and hide/ignore the thread as above: otherwise I will go on forgetting
> about it.

There may be several versions of the script around. The original version
is from Marie Luisa (MLC), IIRC, and probably 15 years old. Can you please
post your whole version here? Then I'll have a look.

Bernd

Jim S

Apr 19, 2021, 2:40:57 PMApr 19
Program PlonkWithAddress; //v0.4 24/Gennaio/2005, by MLC
uses Forms, StdCtrls;

var
myForm: TForm;
myMemo: TMemo;
mail: string;

Function EmptyClipboard:boolean; external 'EmptyCl...@user32.dll
stdcall';
Function OpenClipboard(hWndNewOwner: INTEGER):boolean; external
'OpenCl...@user32.dll stdcall';
Function CloseClipboard:boolean; external 'CloseCl...@user32.dll
stdcall';

function ItemCount(s: string; sep: char): integer;
var
i, r: integer;
stemp: string;
begin
stemp:=s;
r:=0;
i:=Pos(sep,stemp);
while i<>0 do
begin
r:=r+1;
delete(stemp, i, 1);
i:=Pos(sep,stemp);
end;
result:=r;
end;

function RevStr(s: string ): string;
var
i: integer;
s2: string;
begin
s2 := '';
for i:=1 to Length(s) do
begin
s2:=s[i]+s2;
end;
result:=s2;
end;

Procedure ClearClipboard;
Begin
OpenClipboard(0);
EmptyClipboard;
CloseClipboard;
end;

Procedure GetMsgBody;
begin
ClearClipboard;
myMemo.Clear;
ADo('ArticlePane');
ADo('SelectAll');
Ado('Copy');
myMemo.PasteFromClipboard;
end;

Function GetAddress: string;
var
i: integer;
addr: string;
begin
i:=0;
addr:='';
while (i < myMemo.Lines.count-1) do
begin
if Pos('From:', myMemo.lines.Strings[i]) = 1 then
begin
addr:=myMemo.lines.Strings[i];
break;
end
else i:=i+1;
end; //while
i:=ItemCount(addr, '<');
if (i > 0) then
begin
addr:=RevStr(addr);
i:=Pos('<',addr);
addr:=copy(addr, 1, i);
addr:=RevStr(addr);
end else addr:='';
result:=addr;
end;

Procedure BuildContainers;
begin
myMemo := tMemo.Create(myForm);
myMemo.Parent := myForm;
myMemo.Width := Application.Mainform.width;
end;

Begin
myForm := tForm.Create(nil);
lockdisplay;
try
BuildContainers;
ADo('ShowHeaders');
GetMsgBody;
ADo('ShowHeaders');
mail:=GetAddress;
if (mail='') then myMemo.text:=' '
else myMemo.text:=' +"'+mail+'"';
myMemo.SelectAll;
myMemo.CopyToClipboard;
ADoLater('AddPlonkFilter');
PostKey(35, false, false, false, false, false, false, false, false);
//end
PostKey(86, false, false, true, false, false, false, false, false);
//Ctrl+V
finally
unlockdisplay;
myForm.free;
end;
End.
--
Jim S

Bernd Rose

Apr 19, 2021, 3:43:09 PMApr 19
On Mon, 19th Apr 2021 19:40:57 +0100, Jim S wrote:

[Program PlonkWithAddress; //v0.4 24/Gennaio/2005, by MLC]

It is a bit late for testing, hereabouts. I'll look into it tomorrow
evening. But if you are adventurous, you can try to replace the last
Begin/End block of the script with this version:

Begin
myForm := tForm.Create(nil);
lockdisplay;
try
BuildContainers;
ADo('ShowHeaders');
GetMsgBody;
ADo('ShowHeaders');
mail:=GetAddress;
if (mail='') then myMemo.text:=' '
else myMemo.text:=' +"'+mail+'"';
myMemo.SelectAll;
myMemo.CopyToClipboard;
ADoLater('AddPlonkFilter');
PostKey(35, false, false, false, false, false, false, false, false);
//end
PostKey(86, false, false, true, false, false, false, false, false);
//Ctrl+V
PostKey(79, false, true, false, false, false, false, false, false);
//Alt+O
finally
unlockdisplay;
myForm.free;
ADoLater('Ignore');
ADoLater('RefreshView');
end;
End.

Jim S

Apr 19, 2021, 3:55:35 PMApr 19
Yes that seems to work.

--
Jim S

Bernd Rose

Apr 20, 2021, 1:51:56 PMApr 20
On Mon, 19th Apr 2021 20:55:34 +0100, Jim S wrote:

[Slightly extended PlonkWithAddress script]
> Yes that seems to work.

Good. Thanks for the feedback.

Bernd

Tekkie©

Apr 20, 2021, 2:23:11 PMApr 20

On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 21:43:06 +0200, Bernd Rose posted for all of us to
digest...
Hello Bernd, this is completely unrelated to this topic. I use Microplanet
Gravity as my newsreader. I use Comcast as my email server. Gravity allows me
to forward posts to my email, which I used quite often until Comcast changed
something in the SMTP server. Several people have tried to help me with an
stunnel script to allow me to do this but I have been unsuccessful in every
instance. Would you help me write a conf that works? I would very much
appreciate it. Thank you!

--
Tekkie

Bernd Rose

Apr 20, 2021, 4:28:59 PMApr 20
On Tue, 20th Apr 2021 14:23:15 -0400, TekkieŠ wrote:

> I use Microplanet
> Gravity as my newsreader. I use Comcast as my email server. Gravity allows me
> to forward posts to my email, which I used quite often until Comcast changed
> something in the SMTP server. Several people have tried to help me with an
> stunnel script to allow me to do this but I have been unsuccessful in every
> instance. Would you help me write a conf that works? I would very much
> appreciate it. Thank you!

Try this with sTunnel.conf:

[Comcast_SMTP]
client = yes
accept = localhost:25
connect = smtp.comcast.net:587
protocol = smtp
ProtocolAuthentication = login
verifyChain = yes
CAfile = ca-certs.pem
checkHost = smtp.comcast.net
OCSPaia = yes

In Gravity you set
"Mail server (SMTP)": localhost
"Server ports SMTP": 25
and provide your login credentials (Name/Password).

If you use local port 25 with another program, already, change *both*
occurrences of 25 to an unused port number (e.g. 250).

Don't forget to reload the *.conf file in stunnel after changing the
settings.

Maybe, this works.
Bernd

Tekkie©

Apr 21, 2021, 5:37:47 PMApr 21

On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 22:28:56 +0200, Bernd Rose posted for all of us to
digest...
Thanks for your very rapid response!

The first attempt did not work, giving me the same old error messages.

The second time I read your post I noticed I should change the Gravity SMTP
server setting to localhost. I did that but again it failed but I got this
error message out of Gravity:
The attempt to connect failed. The target server is not running the required
service

Any hints? I did reload the config.

This is the stunnel log:
2021.04.21 17:32:52 LOG5[main]: stunnel 5.59 on x64-pc-mingw32-gnu platform
2021.04.21 17:32:52 LOG5[main]: Compiled/running with OpenSSL 1.1.1k 25 Mar
2021
2021.04.21 17:32:52 LOG5[main]: Threading:WIN32 Sockets:SELECT,IPv6
TLS:ENGINE,OCSP,PSK,SNI
2021.04.21 17:32:52 LOG5[main]: Reading configuration from file stunnel.conf
2021.04.21 17:32:52 LOG5[main]: UTF-8 byte order mark detected
2021.04.21 17:32:52 LOG5[main]: FIPS mode disabled
2021.04.21 17:32:52 LOG5[main]: Configuration successful

I feel we on the road to success!
--
Tekkie

Bernd Rose

Apr 22, 2021, 3:30:04 PMApr 22
On Wed, 21st Apr 2021 17:37:52 -0400, TekkieŠ wrote:

>> Try this with sTunnel.conf:
>>
>> [Comcast_SMTP]
[...]
> The first attempt did not work, giving me the same old error messages.
>
> The second time I read your post I noticed I should change the Gravity SMTP
> server setting to localhost. I did that but again it failed but I got this
> error message out of Gravity:
> The attempt to connect failed. The target server is not running the required
> service

As far as I can tell from comcast configuration info on the net, it supports
SMTP with STARTTLS on port 587 and SMTPS on port 465 (like Larry already
suggested as a possible alternative). That's pretty standard and shouldn't
prevent you from logging in from Gravity by way of sTunnel.

From your OP I deduced, that you already tried the more obvious setups. From
your current message, I don't believe this, anymore.

Therefore, I suggest you first keep port 587 and all other settings as I
suggested in my previous posting. Just delete the following line from
sTunnel.conf (or comment it out with a semicolon on first position of the
line):
ProtocolAuthentication = login

Don't forget to reload this configuration in sTunnel. Test this setting from
Gravity and take note of every error message.

If above didn't work, retry with port 465 instead of port 587. (As Larry
suggested.) -> Reload in sTunnel and retry in Gravity; note errors, if any.

If this does not work, either, retry with keeping the port set to 465, but
re-inserting (or uncommenting) above mentioned line:
ProtocolAuthentication = login

Again, don't forget: Reload + Retry + Note_Errors.

For the last two tests (if all up to now have failed), you set Gravity to
/not/ log-in with Name and Password:
Server Setup -> Mail Server (SMTP) -> Mail server password: No password required

Afterwards, you insert the following 2 additional lines in sTunnel.conf:
protocolUsername = USERNAME
protocolPassword = PASSWORD

USERNAME and PASSWORD are your login credentials to comcast. (The ones you
just disabled in Gravity.)

Now you first try with port set to 465. And if this doesn't work, either,
you last try port 587.

If none of these configurations are successful, we need to see any error
messages or log lists for these unsuccessful attempts.

IMPORTANT: Be sure to remove all Login details (name, password,...) from
your log file excerpts when posting them.

HTH.
Bernd

Tekkie©

Apr 22, 2021, 5:14:35 PMApr 22

On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 21:53:58 +0000, Larry posted for all of us to digest...

> On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 17:37:52 -0400, Tekkie© <Tek...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >The second time I read your post I noticed I should change the Gravity SMTP
> >server setting to localhost. I did that but again it failed but I got this
> >error message out of Gravity:
> >The attempt to connect failed. The target server is not running the required
> >service
> >
> >Any hints?
>
> Could be the wrong port on Comcast??
> > connect = smtp.comcast.net:587
>
> In stunnel.conf - try
> connect = smtp.comcast.net:465

Okay did that and reloaded the stunnel conf
No joy got these error in Gravity, in order:

Socket receive error 10054

The circuit was reset by the remote side
The circuit was reset by the remote side
Could not connect to mail server.

This is stunnel log window before and after being reset

2021.04.22 17:00:30 LOG5[main]: stunnel 5.59 on x64-pc-mingw32-gnu platform
2021.04.22 17:00:30 LOG5[main]: Compiled/running with OpenSSL 1.1.1k 25 Mar
2021
2021.04.22 17:00:30 LOG5[main]: Threading:WIN32 Sockets:SELECT,IPv6
TLS:ENGINE,OCSP,PSK,SNI
2021.04.22 17:00:30 LOG5[main]: Reading configuration from file stunnel.conf
2021.04.22 17:00:30 LOG5[main]: UTF-8 byte order mark detected
2021.04.22 17:00:30 LOG5[main]: FIPS mode disabled
2021.04.22 17:00:30 LOG5[main]: Configuration successful
2021.04.22 17:01:20 LOG5[main]: Reading configuration from file stunnel.conf
2021.04.22 17:01:20 LOG5[main]: UTF-8 byte order mark detected
2021.04.22 17:01:20 LOG5[main]: FIPS mode disabled
2021.04.22 17:01:20 LOG5[main]: Configuration successful
2021.04.22 17:01:46 LOG5[0]: Service [Comcast_SMTP] accepted connection from
127.0.0.1:56356
2021.04.22 17:01:46 LOG5[0]: s_connect: connected 2001:558:fe21:2a::5:465
2021.04.22 17:01:46 LOG5[0]: Service [Comcast_SMTP] connected remote server
from 2601:43:4100:44b0:944e:ad:58c3:b758:56357
2021.04.22 17:02:58 LOG3[0]: Unexpected socket close (s_read)
2021.04.22 17:02:58 LOG5[0]: Connection reset: 0 byte(s) sent to TLS, 0 byte(s)
sent to socket

I hope all this is helpful because I am way out of my league.
--
Tekkie

Bernd Rose

Apr 23, 2021, 1:30:05 PMApr 23
On Thu, 22nd Apr 2021 17:14:32 -0400, TekkieŠ wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 21:53:58 +0000, Larry posted for all of us to digest...
[...]
>> In stunnel.conf - try
>> connect = smtp.comcast.net:465
>
> Okay did that and reloaded the stunnel conf
> No joy got these error in Gravity, in order:
>
> Socket receive error 10054

So you can cross out case 3 of the 5 variants I suggested yesterday.
My best bet would be on case 1. ;-)

Bernd

Tekkie©

Apr 24, 2021, 4:01:12 PMApr 24

On Fri, 23 Apr 2021 19:30:02 +0200, Bernd Rose posted for all of us to
digest...
It works!!!! Exuberance is too mild of word to describe my happiness.

I admit the last go around of failure is the fact that Comcast requires me to
change my password every two weeks on this account. When I tested the last
config Gravity gave an error message & to view the event log. The event log was
blank. I now had to put on my aluminum foil hat and think for myself. I forgot
to change my password in Gravity... You now have proof that I am a burnt out
bulb in the chandelier.

I want to thank you for sticking with me and providing a solution I have been
struggling with for years. I am posting the working config in the hope that
someone else can benefit.

[Comcast_SMTP]
client = yes
accept = localhost:25
connect = smtp.comcast.net:587
protocol = smtp
ProtocolAuthentication = login
verifyChain = yes
CAfile = ca-certs.pem
checkHost = smtp.comcast.net
OCSPaia = yes

--
Tekkie

Bernd Rose

Apr 25, 2021, 1:54:22 AMApr 25
On Sat, 24th Apr 2021 16:01:14 -0400, TekkieŠ wrote:

[Gravity-sTunnel-Comcast setup]
> It works!!!! Exuberance is too mild of word to describe my happiness.

Thanks for the feedback! :-)

Btw., the working setup would have been my first suggestion, if you hadn't
fooled me with your initial statement, that you already got many suggestions
and none worked. Therefore, my first variant was a more exotic approach. ;-)

> I admit the last go around of failure is the fact that Comcast requires me to
> change my password every two weeks on this account.

Not a good idea. They should know better. If people need to change their
passwords frequently, they tend to use too simple ones. (Just to be able
to remember them.) The passwords then are easily guessed with dictionary
attacks (maybe combined with counters) and the like. Or users write the
passwords down in places accessible to others.

Moreover, email inboxes are usually accessed from many different places
(PC, Smartphone,...). The programs used for access usually are configured
to save passwords. Although saved passwords usually aren't encrypted too
well on local systems (especially with older programs), frequent changes
of password will provide no advantage in security. If a device is already
compromised, the password change will not alter this. If not, then the
situation is okay, in the first place.

But with many devices, people tend to forget changing passwords. Result
are frequent cases of multiple failing logins. If the provider will not
go out of service in no time, he has to configure his service to react
lenient on invalid logins. This is an invitation for hackers.

Better would be the opposite approach: Require a long complex password,
do not permit unencrypted (with secure, current methods) login and react
harsh on failed login attempts. (Sufficient timeout, but not so long,
that after a hacking attempt, the legitimate user can not login, either.)
Provide (unerasable, nonalterable) login history on a status page for
a feasible amount of time (maybe a month). And require any password
change (and any other basic setup alteration, like means of contact) to
be verified and confirmed across a different - secure - channel.

> I forgot to change my password in Gravity... You now have proof that I am
> a burnt out bulb in the chandelier.

IMHO, the requirement to change mail password every two weeks is just
ridiculous.

Bernd

andrew

Apr 26, 2021, 6:02:09 AMApr 26
On 2021-04-17, Jim S <j...@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

> I have used almost all known newsgroup readers and just when I think I have
> found my ideal, it bites my ankle.

But not slrn?

Andrew
--
Do you think that's air you're breathing?

Jim S

Apr 26, 2021, 8:16:46 AMApr 26
In article <202104171...@skamandros.andrews-corner.org>,
and...@skamandros.invalid says...

> On 2021-04-17, Jim S <j...@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I have used almost all known newsgroup readers and just when I think I have
> > found my ideal, it bites my ankle.
>
> But not slrn?
>
> Andrew

Indeed.
I've never found out how to install it on Windows 10.

--
Jim S

Tekkie©

Apr 26, 2021, 3:27:45 PMApr 26

On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 07:54:17 +0200, Bernd Rose posted for all of us to
digest...
Bernd, be glad you don't have to deal with Comcast. Their customer (non)service
gets consistent subterranean ratings. Comcast agrees that it should not need to
be changed every two weeks, I've complained and I will see next week what
happens. I use Roboform so it helps me generate & remember passwords.

Again, thanks for your help. I would share your solution on the Gravity site
but so far I have been unsuccessful in being able to post.

I am also using your solution on another newsreader that I used for d/l's and
you can credit yourself with a double pat on the back.

Guten abend,

--
Tekkie

Tekkie©

Apr 26, 2021, 3:34:56 PMApr 26

On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 15:41:35 +0000, Larry posted for all of us to digest...

> On Sat, 24 Apr 2021 16:01:14 -0400, Tekkie© <Tek...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >I admit the last go around of failure is the fact that Comcast requires me to
> >change my password every two weeks on this account.
>
> When and where did Comcast start this silliness? Any explanation as to
> why your email accounts have this limitation?

It's been about six months. It only applies to this account, the rest are fine.

There is no explanation why or how Comcast does things...

My wife's account also gets email from another persons account. We got all the
details where she moved because of this. It seems to have subsided for a month
so maybe it's fixed now. I mean the account names weren't even remotely alike.

Thank you for your help,

--
Tekkie

Bernd Rose

Apr 27, 2021, 12:26:50 AMApr 27
On Mon, 26th Apr 2021 15:27:43 -0400, TekkieŠ wrote:

[sTunnel setup]
> Again, thanks for your help. I would share your solution on the Gravity site
> but so far I have been unsuccessful in being able to post.
>
> I am also using your solution on another newsreader that I used for d/l's and
> you can credit yourself with a double pat on the back.

Your feedback is kind, but the (working) suggestion is really standard and
corresponds even to the basic examples found in sTunnel documentation. So,
there's no need to refer to me when you share the solution. Just post these
settings as working.

Important when sharing the setup is, to point out the client side settings,
as well. (I.e., the settings in the newsreader or mail program.) That's
probably the place, where applying the suggestions you got earlier failed.
With this I mean:

| In Gravity you set
| "Mail server (SMTP)": localhost
| "Server ports SMTP": 25
| and provide your login credentials (Name/Password).
|
| If you use local port 25 with another program, already, change *both*
| occurrences of 25 to an unused port number (e.g. 250).

The other place, referred to in "both", is this sTunnel.conf setting:

| accept = localhost:25

Bernd

andrew

Apr 27, 2021, 4:12:23 AMApr 27
The slrn website holds a binary of slrn with exhaustive instructions
in the archive in a README file:

https://slrn.info/windows/README.1st
https://slrn.info/windows/slrn-1.0.3-win32-ads.zip

There is also an overly complex guide online that tells how to compile
your own copy:

https://www.andrews-corner.org/slrn-windows.html

I am running slrn under Windows 10 and it runs very, very nicely...

Jim S

Apr 27, 2021, 9:18:07 AMApr 27
I started, then saw *_ELEVEN_* easy steps.
However undeterred, I read those 'easy' steps and started....but then I
realsised: 'Life's too short at my age'.
I will go on using Dialog, now that Bernt has fixed it.
I would, as you may have guessed, rather use Gravity, but as my original
post said I cannot get the 'Ignore thread' and 'Add to Bozo bin' to
'stick'. I can see them in the Ignore List, but they keep coming back. So
like I said I will live with Dialog for now.
--
Jim S

andrew

Apr 28, 2021, 1:02:23 AMApr 28
On 2021-04-27, Jim S <j...@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

> I started, then saw *_ELEVEN_* easy steps.
> However undeterred, I read those 'easy' steps and started....but
> then I realsised: 'Life's too short at my age'.

Fair enough. Mind you I am 60 now and I created and maintain that
page, but I know what you mean: when you are older you choose how you
will spend your time.

The page states 3 steps but I confess some of those steps are biiiiig
steps :).

> I will go on using Dialog, now that Bernt has fixed it.
> I would, as you may have guessed, rather use Gravity, but as my
> original post said I cannot get the 'Ignore thread' and 'Add to Bozo
> bin' to 'stick'. I can see them in the Ignore List, but they keep
> coming back. So like I said I will live with Dialog for now.

All the best with this, I tried Dialog a while back after being
challenged to do so by one of the NSR regulars, it might have been in
the time of Blinky the Shark. It was at the very least a very
competent newsreader but it was not slrn :)

Jim S

Apr 28, 2021, 7:08:01 AMApr 28
On 28 Apr 2021 05:02:20 GMT, andrew wrote:

> On 2021-04-27, Jim S <j...@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I started, then saw *_ELEVEN_* easy steps.
>> However undeterred, I read those 'easy' steps and started....but
>> then I realsised: 'Life's too short at my age'.
>
> Fair enough. Mind you I am 60 now and I created and maintain that
> page, but I know what you mean: when you are older you choose how you
> will spend your time.

I can give you 20 years so you see what I mean.
I only looked at slrn as you mentioned it and it's probably the only one
I've missed.
BTW I believe he is Bernd, but I'm inconsonant :)

<snip>

--
Jim S

andrew

May 2, 2021, 1:15:02 AMMay 2
On 2021-05-01, Bud Frede <fr...@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

> Ah, Windows 10. There's your problem right there. :-)

Windows 10 runs slrn just fine mind you...