How do I get my toolbars back on 40tude Dialog?

Sqwertz

May 15, 2021, 10:35:09 PMMay 15
18 year veteran and moderate power user of 40tude Dilog here (yada
yada), how do I get my friggen toolbars back?

I first lost the composition windows toolbar a couple days ago and I
remembered something about dragging an artifact of the screen during
heavy multitasking. Unknown at the time, I apparently undocked the
Dialog composition toolbar and threw it away.

Just to verify that was even possible and for shits and grins, I
grabbed the Main Window toolbar and threw that off the screen. It
wasn't easy, but I did it! And the I did again with Toolbar #2 and
Toolbar #3 (both empty). And usually I can revert any immediate
stupidity by killing the process (and bypassing any SAVE settings),
but nope - didn't work for this - I lost EVERY toolbar now.

Where in the fuck are they?

I'm looking at tooldock.ini and I have negative numbers in here for
some positions. Which of these tags corresponds to main toolbar and
newsgroup post composition form? (there's 3 or 4 those). I changed
all coordinate sets I suspected to 10,10 20,20, 30,30, 40,40 (are
they relative to my screen or to the main Dialog window?). A also
changed visible=1 dockto=<blank>, floating=0 (in toolbar*.ini) but
they all seem to be re-written to the original old numbers when I
start Dialog again.

I'm totally disoriented without my finely-honed toolbars. So I'm
gonna start drinking now. Fuggit.

-sw

Sqwertz

May 15, 2021, 11:52:17 PMMay 15
Nevermind - I just grabbed tool*.ini from a backup installation and
it works now. I was doing it the hard, nerdy way.

But I do think there's something in Windows 10 that allows you to
throw stuff of the visible screen. Otherwise, I would have screwed
this up many times before. In previous Windows versions I could
always see something hiding in corners or edges of the screen
(grabbing it dragging it may be hard, but I at least I knew it was
there).

0-sw

Bernd Rose

May 16, 2021, 1:46:22 AMMay 16
On Sat, 15th May 2021 22:52:16 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

[Lost toolbars]
> I do think there's something in Windows 10 that allows you to
> throw stuff of the visible screen.

I rather think, you dragged the toolbars off the window in floating
mode and then closed the floating toolbar windows with the X-button.

To get the toolbars back to visible, you just need to right-click
on the main menu of the window in question (main window and compose
window). You get a right mouse menu, which enables you to re-activate
any toolbar. If it was undocked before closing, the toolbar will be
re-activated to undocked state. You then grab the title bar of the
undocked toolbar and drag it to whatever position you like. If the
position happens to be the upper, lower, left or right border of
the main/compose window, the toolbar will dock again.

In docked state, every toolbar has a handle of gray dots on the
left-outermost side. (Or on the upper side, when docked vertically.)
With this handle you can drag the toolbar to another position. - To
change the order or dock the toolbars alongside each other (or the
main menu, for that matter).

HTH
Bernd

Sqwertz

May 23, 2021, 9:02:34 PMMay 23
On Sun, 16 May 2021 07:46:16 +0200, Bernd Rose wrote:

> On Sat, 15th May 2021 22:52:16 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
> [Lost toolbars]
>> I do think there's something in Windows 10 that allows you to
>> throw stuff of the visible screen.
>
> I rather think, you dragged the toolbars off the window in floating
> mode and then closed the floating toolbar windows with the X-button.

But I didn't close them. I literally threw them off the screen.

> To get the toolbars back to visible, you just need to right-click
> on the main menu of the window in question (main window and compose
> window). You get a right mouse menu, which enables you to re-activate
> any toolbar.

Yes, I tried. All toolbars said they were already visible. I turn
them all on, but all I were 3 or 4 new blank ones (which I'd never
populated with anything). Ad I was able to "throw" one of off the
screen, too. Poof!

> If it was undocked before closing, the toolbar will be
> re-activated to undocked state. You then grab the title bar of the
> undocked toolbar and drag it to whatever position you like. If the
> position happens to be the upper, lower, left or right border of
> the main/compose window, the toolbar will dock again.
>
> In docked state, every toolbar has a handle of gray dots on the
> left-outermost side. (Or on the upper side, when docked vertically.)
> With this handle you can drag the toolbar to another position. - To
> change the order or dock the toolbars alongside each other (or the
> main menu, for that matter).

Yes, I've certainly misplaced them before and eventually always
found them around the corners of the screen somewhere. But not this
time.

-sw