Has anyone else noticed dejagoogle (aka Google Groups for Usenet newsgroups) now (often) requires a Google login to search/view Usenet posts?

Arlen Holder

Aug 16, 2020, 9:43:41 PM8/16/20
Has anyone else noticed dejagoogle (aka Google Groups search/view for
Usenet newsgroups) now (often) requires a Google login simply to
search/view existing Usenet posts to this newsgroup:
o <news.software.readers>

It has been, for years (since early 2000s I believe) that you could always
read, view, search, and quote Usenet posts by using the Google Groups URL:
o <http://tinyurl.com/news-software-readers>

Which, itself, translated to (I know this because I set it up that way):
o <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/news.software.readers>

But then, when you try to access (or search) any given article... as of a
few days ago (maybe a week or so?), Google Groups now _requires_ a login.

Of course, if you go back and forth, a few times, you can often circumvent
that need, and likely, there's a "setting" in the browser which may prevent
that as it seems to be browser specific how you can circumvent this...

But my question is has anyone else noticed this recent anomoly that
essentially makes Google Groups search tremendously more difficult without
a login.
--
Narkive works, but it never was as good as Google Groups' no-login search:
o <http://news.software.readers.narkive.com>

Rob

Aug 17, 2020, 12:56:41 PM8/17/20
Arlen Holder <arlen_...@newmachines.com> wrote:
> Has anyone else noticed dejagoogle (aka Google Groups search/view for
> Usenet newsgroups) now (often) requires a Google login simply to
> search/view existing Usenet posts to this newsgroup:
> o <news.software.readers>
>
> It has been, for years (since early 2000s I believe) that you could always
> read, view, search, and quote Usenet posts by using the Google Groups URL:
> o <http://tinyurl.com/news-software-readers>
>
> Which, itself, translated to (I know this because I set it up that way):
> o <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/news.software.readers>
>
> But then, when you try to access (or search) any given article... as of a
> few days ago (maybe a week or so?), Google Groups now _requires_ a login.
>
> Of course, if you go back and forth, a few times, you can often circumvent
> that need, and likely, there's a "setting" in the browser which may prevent
> that as it seems to be browser specific how you can circumvent this...
>
> But my question is has anyone else noticed this recent anomoly that
> essentially makes Google Groups search tremendously more difficult without
> a login.

It doesn't matter, since the advanced search capabilities that sometimes
were useful have been removed from the Search function anyway (long ago).

Sqwertz

Aug 18, 2020, 1:16:01 AM8/18/20
> Arlen Holder <arlen_...@newmachines.com> wrote:
>
>> But my question is has anyone else noticed this recent anomoly that
>> essentially makes Google Groups search tremendously more difficult without
>> a login.

It did asked me for a login once a couple days ago, but I just
figured I pressed something I didn't mean to, I backed up and did
it again and it worked.

It sure wouldn't surprise me if Google started requiring logins for
both news and regular google searches. I never log in. Google knows
everything I do anyway - I have Google Fiber (for now).

-sw

Sqwertz

Aug 18, 2020, 1:21:10 AM8/18/20
I just tested it again and it wasn't me to log in right away, even
before I saw any group/posts. Twice in a row. I Backed up (browser
Back button) the third time and it let me in without logging in.

The URL was originally:
https://accounts.google.com/signin/v2/identifier?continue=https%3A%2F%2Fgroups.google.com%2Fd%2Fforum%2Frec.food.cooking&service=groups2&sacu=1&hl=en&rip=1&flowName=GlifWebSignIn&flowEntry=ServiceLogin

I will just stop using Groups if it keeps doing this. My newsreader
has 7 years of posts in the groups I frequent if I need to search
anything.

-sw

Luuk

Aug 23, 2020, 5:23:14 AM8/23/20
When visiting:
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/rec.food.cooking&service=groups2&sacu=1&hl=en&rip=1

i got:
"This group either doesn't exist, or you don't have permission to access it.
If you're sure this group exists, contact the Owner of the group and ask them
to give you access."

--
Luuk