[slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...

1 view

andrew

May 24, 2021, 7:41:42 PMMay 24
Pending JED being happy and also pending final approval by the new
Libera.Chat admins I have created #slrn on libera. The old #slrn on
Freenode was registered by Michael Prokop but has not seen much action
for a long time. So perhaps this will be useful?

I will keep it going for a few weeks anyway and see if it addresses a
need. Details for about the new libera IRC servers, and connecting
with SASL, can be found here:

https://libera.chat/

Perhaps see you there?

Andrew
--
Do you think that's air you're breathing?

Ted Heise

May 25, 2021, 7:43:03 AMMay 25
On 24 May 2021 23:41:40 GMT,
andrew <and...@skamandros.invalid> wrote:
> Pending JED being happy and also pending final approval by the
> new Libera.Chat admins I have created #slrn on libera. The old
> #slrn on Freenode was registered by Michael Prokop but has not
> seen much action for a long time. So perhaps this will be
> useful?
>
> I will keep it going for a few weeks anyway and see if it
> addresses a need. Details for about the new libera IRC servers,
> and connecting with SASL, can be found here:
>
> https://libera.chat/
>
> Perhaps see you there?

Nice idea, Andrew. I tried the following:

bash-5.1$ irc -R irc.libera.chat:6697
*** Connecting to port 6667 of server irc.freenode.net

and it just stalled there. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
It's been ages since I poked around on irc, so the process is no
longer familiar.

To be honest, I'm not sure the user base is large enough to
generate any worthwhile traffic. I'm a longtime user, but with
precious little time these days for things like irc chat.

--
Ted Heise <the...@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA

Lewis

May 25, 2021, 8:47:50 AMMay 25
In message <slrnsapom6...@panix2.panix.com> Ted Heise <the...@panix.com> wrote:
> On 24 May 2021 23:41:40 GMT,
> andrew <and...@skamandros.invalid> wrote:
>> Pending JED being happy and also pending final approval by the
>> new Libera.Chat admins I have created #slrn on libera. The old
>> #slrn on Freenode was registered by Michael Prokop but has not
>> seen much action for a long time. So perhaps this will be
>> useful?
>>
>> I will keep it going for a few weeks anyway and see if it
>> addresses a need. Details for about the new libera IRC servers,
>> and connecting with SASL, can be found here:
>>
>> https://libera.chat/
>>
>> Perhaps see you there?

> Nice idea, Andrew. I tried the following:

> bash-5.1$ irc -R irc.libera.chat:6697

is that a TLS connection?

--
Rincewind had always been happy to think of himself as a racist. The
One Hundred Meters, the Mile, the Marathon -- he'd run them all.

Ted Heise

May 25, 2021, 12:47:18 PMMay 25
On Tue, 25 May 2021 12:47:49 -0000 (UTC),
Lewis <g.k...@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:
> In message <slrnsapom6...@panix2.panix.com> Ted Heise <the...@panix.com> wrote:
> > On 24 May 2021 23:41:40 GMT,
> > andrew <and...@skamandros.invalid> wrote:
> >> Pending JED being happy and also pending final approval by the
> >> new Libera.Chat admins I have created #slrn on libera. The old
> >> #slrn on Freenode was registered by Michael Prokop but has not
> >> seen much action for a long time. So perhaps this will be
> >> useful?
> >>
> >> I will keep it going for a few weeks anyway and see if it
> >> addresses a need. Details for about the new libera IRC servers,
> >> and connecting with SASL, can be found here:
> >>
> >> https://libera.chat/
> >>
> >> Perhaps see you there?
>
> > Nice idea, Andrew. I tried the following:
>
> > bash-5.1$ irc -R irc.libera.chat:6697
>
> is that a TLS connection?

No idea. I just put in the string that was at the cited website.

Robert Marshall

May 25, 2021, 1:40:04 PMMay 25
On Tue, May 25 2021, Ted Heise <the...@panix.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 May 2021 12:47:49 -0000 (UTC),
> Lewis <g.k...@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:
>> In message <slrnsapom6...@panix2.panix.com> Ted Heise <the...@panix.com> wrote:

>> > Nice idea, Andrew. I tried the following:
>>
>> > bash-5.1$ irc -R irc.libera.chat:6697
>>
>> is that a TLS connection?

It is

> No idea. I just put in the string that was at the cited website.

I'm using 6667 which modulo difficulties in initially getting the
registration email works fine.

Robert Marshall twitter: @rajm

Lewis

May 25, 2021, 9:41:56 PMMay 25
the website notes that is a TLS port (6667 is unencrypted IRC, 6687 is
STARTTLS, and 6697 is TLS).

--
"It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents -- except
at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of

andrew

May 25, 2021, 9:45:49 PMMay 25
On 2021-05-25, Ted Heise <the...@panix.com> wrote:

> To be honest, I'm not sure the user base is large enough to
> generate any worthwhile traffic. I'm a longtime user, but with
> precious little time these days for things like irc chat.

Well, I am retired now so I have time to give to such projects :). I
have a shell account with Blinkenshell so I will usually be available
in SOuthern Hemisphere times. And yes it will always be a small number
of users...

When you think of:

--> People who use Usenet at all
----> Of those people, those are not there just for PrOn and Warez
-------> Of those people, those who use slrn
-----------> Of those people, those who would use IRC at all

Small numbers indeed :)

andrew

May 26, 2021, 2:18:15 AMMay 26
On 2021-05-25, Ted Heise <the...@panix.com> wrote:

> Nice idea, Andrew. I tried the following:
>
> bash-5.1$ irc -R irc.libera.chat:6697
> *** Connecting to port 6667 of server irc.freenode.net
>
> and it just stalled there. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
> It's been ages since I poked around on irc, so the process is no
> longer familiar.

Which IRC client are you using here?

Harold Stevens

May 26, 2021, 3:45:08 AMMay 26
In <202105251...@skamandros.andrews-corner.org> andrew:

> When you think of:
>
> --> People who use Usenet at all
> ----> Of those people, those are not there just for PrOn and Warez
> -------> Of those people, those who use slrn
> -----------> Of those people, those who would use IRC at all
>
> Small numbers indeed :)
>
> Andrew

Sorta like the Drake Equation in SETI: what are the chances of a
signal in all this space? :)

Thanks, Andrew. Three cheers for the slrn mafia! :)

Really, it's (wyrd) at att, dotted with net. * DO NOT SPAM IT. *
I toss GoogleGroup (http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/).

andrew

May 26, 2021, 4:35:28 AMMay 26
On 2021-05-26, Harold Stevens <woo...@limbo.localdomain> wrote:

> Thanks, Andrew. Three cheers for the slrn mafia! :)

As Usenet slows down (and Freenode implodes!) I am still happy that I
met so many really good people through Usenet and more so through the
slrn community. Indeed: 'Three cheers for the slrn mafia!'

Ted Heise

May 26, 2021, 9:21:18 AMMay 26
On 26 May 2021 01:45:46 GMT,
andrew <and...@skamandros.invalid> wrote:
> On 2021-05-25, Ted Heise <the...@panix.com> wrote:
>
> > To be honest, I'm not sure the user base is large enough to
> > generate any worthwhile traffic. I'm a longtime user, but with
> > precious little time these days for things like irc chat.
>
> Well, I am retired now so I have time to give to such projects :). I
> have a shell account with Blinkenshell so I will usually be available
> in SOuthern Hemisphere times.

Wait, what? Doesn't the Southern Hemisphere include more than a
few time zones? :)

> And yes it will always be a small number of users...
>
> When you think of:
>
> --> People who use Usenet at all
> ----> Of those people, those are not there just for PrOn and Warez
> -------> Of those people, those who use slrn
> -----------> Of those people, those who would use IRC at all
>
> Small numbers indeed :)

Yup.

Ted Heise

May 26, 2021, 9:24:02 AMMay 26
On 26 May 2021 06:18:12 GMT,
andrew <and...@skamandros.invalid> wrote:
> On 2021-05-25, Ted Heise <the...@panix.com> wrote:
>
> > Nice idea, Andrew. I tried the following:
> >
> > bash-5.1$ irc -R irc.libera.chat:6697
> > *** Connecting to port 6667 of server irc.freenode.net
> >
> > and it just stalled there. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
> > It's been ages since I poked around on irc, so the process is no
> > longer familiar.
>
> Which IRC client are you using here?

Hrrrrmmm, good question. This is on a FreeBSD system, and the
executable is a link to irc-20170704. Not sure how to make the
program tell me about itself. :)

Lewis

May 26, 2021, 1:02:02 PMMay 26
In message <slrnsasiqd...@panix2.panix.com> Ted Heise <the...@panix.com> wrote:
> On 26 May 2021 01:45:46 GMT,
> andrew <and...@skamandros.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2021-05-25, Ted Heise <the...@panix.com> wrote:
>>
>> > To be honest, I'm not sure the user base is large enough to
>> > generate any worthwhile traffic. I'm a longtime user, but with
>> > precious little time these days for things like irc chat.
>>
>> Well, I am retired now so I have time to give to such projects :). I
>> have a shell account with Blinkenshell so I will usually be available
>> in SOuthern Hemisphere times.

> Wait, what? Doesn't the Southern Hemisphere include more than a
> few time zones? :)

Not many with people in them. Also, their DST varies, so it's best to
specify. It is nearly impossible for me to keep track of Argentinian
time, so I have a preset on my watch for it since between 4 DST changes
it's too much.

Right now 1100 MDT (1500 UTC) is 1400 in Buenos Aires.

--
Beware of the Leopard!

Lewis

May 26, 2021, 1:07:03 PMMay 26
sounds like /usr/ports/irc/irc to me.

--
It was a fifty-four with a mashed up door and a cheesy little amp
with a sign on the front said "Fender Champ" and a second-hand

Lewis

May 26, 2021, 3:06:28 PMMay 26
And I got the UTC time wrong. Doh! 1700 UTC, of course.

--
Billionaire beats up a schizophrenic woman and a deformed little person
who likes birds.

andrew

May 26, 2021, 6:45:17 PMMay 26
On 2021-05-26, Ted Heise <the...@panix.com> wrote:

> Hrrrrmmm, good question. This is on a FreeBSD system, and the
> executable is a link to irc-20170704. Not sure how to make the
> program tell me about itself. :)

Might make life easy for yourself by using an application like Hexchat
or better: irssi. The Blinkenshell owner has a nice irssi guide here:

https://independence.blinkenshell.org/blog/2021/05/26/irc-communities-migrating-to-libera-chat/

Ted Heise

May 27, 2021, 8:57:29 AMMay 27
On 26 May 2021 22:45:15 GMT,
andrew <and...@skamandros.invalid> wrote:
> On 2021-05-26, Ted Heise <the...@panix.com> wrote:
>
> > Hrrrrmmm, good question. This is on a FreeBSD system, and the
> > executable is a link to irc-20170704. Not sure how to make
> > the program tell me about itself. :)
>
> Might make life easy for yourself by using an application like
> Hexchat or better: irssi. The Blinkenshell owner has a nice
> irssi guide here:
>
> https://independence.blinkenshell.org/blog/2021/05/26/irc-communities-migrating-to-libera-chat/

Thanks, Andrew. It will probably be a week or more before I have
free time I could commit to this, though.

Lewis

May 27, 2021, 7:52:27 PMMay 27
irssi is definitely my recommendation, though I no longer do IRC at all.
irssi is full-featured and most importantly, has a lot of support
documents and technical answers to many questions available from your
favorite search engine.

--
Disorder is merely the order you were not looking for." Henri Bergson

andrew

Jun 12, 2021, 11:56:22 PMJun 12
On 2021-05-24, andrew <and...@skamandros.invalid> wrote:

> Pending JED being happy and also pending final approval by the new
> Libera.Chat admins I have created #slrn on libera.

Everything is in place now:

1. JED has given approval of #slrn and has been good enough to place
details of the channel on the slrn web site.
2. The namespace #slrn-* has been officially registered with Libera
3. The channel has been fully setup with appropriate modes / flags

I will be there during Southern Hemisphere evening hours for the most
part but, courtesy of Blinkenshell, my nick will always be there...