Posting with slrn AND nano

ffuentes

May 21, 2021, 12:30:00 AM5/21/21
Here I have a silly question. Do any of you use nano to post to newsgroups?
I know slrn has a good example of how to setup vim to post
but how can someone post from nano? I wanna make nano wrap at 72 characters
(which can be done with -r) but I also wanna make the cursor to stay in
between the response and the header.

nano -r 72 -S +10

Is this right? Do any of you have a better idea?

--
ffue...@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org

andrew

May 21, 2021, 1:03:30 AM5/21/21
On 2021-05-21, ffuentes <ffue...@sdf-f.spam.org> wrote:

> Here I have a silly question. Do any of you use nano to post to
> newsgroups?

Unfortunately I have always used vim with slrn under Linux and gvim
with slrn under Windows...

Andrew
--
Do you think that's air you're breathing?

Lewis

May 21, 2021, 6:02:44 AM5/21/21
In message <slrnsaedfv....@iceland.freeshell.org> ffuentes <ffue...@sdf-f.spam.org> wrote:
> Here I have a silly question. Do any of you use nano to post to newsgroups?

The editor has nothing to do with posting tp newsgroups. YOu can use any
editor you want. I am sure plenty of people use nano, just as plenty use
vim, vim, emacs, gvim, and even BBEdit.

> I know slrn has a good example of how to setup vim to post
> but how can someone post from nano?

set your editor to nano in your .slrnrc.

> I wanna make nano wrap at 72 characters (which can be done with -r)
> but I also wanna make the cursor to stay in between the response and
> the header.

> nano -r 72 -S +10

> Is this right? Do any of you have a better idea?

Seems like that should work based on the man page (I don't use nano).

--
ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES BART A DULL BOY
ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES BART A DULL BOY
ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES BART A DULL BOY
Bart chalkboard Ep. 1F07

RonB

May 21, 2021, 10:47:51 AM5/21/21
On 2021-05-21, Lewis <g.k...@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:
> In message <slrnsaedfv....@iceland.freeshell.org> ffuentes <ffue...@sdf-f.spam.org> wrote:
>> Here I have a silly question. Do any of you use nano to post to newsgroups?
>
> The editor has nothing to do with posting tp newsgroups. YOu can use any
> editor you want. I am sure plenty of people use nano, just as plenty use
> vim, vim, emacs, gvim, and even BBEdit.
>
>> I know slrn has a good example of how to setup vim to post
>> but how can someone post from nano?
>
> set your editor to nano in your .slrnrc.
>
>> I wanna make nano wrap at 72 characters (which can be done with -r)
>> but I also wanna make the cursor to stay in between the response and
>> the header.
>
>> nano -r 72 -S +10
>
>> Is this right? Do any of you have a better idea?
>
> Seems like that should work based on the man page (I don't use nano).

I don't either — I use the jstar "flavor" of joe (Joe's Own Editor).

Somehow I figured out the following line (which works for me).

set editor_command "jstar +%d '%s'"

At this point I don't know what "+%d" and "'%s'" do — I would have to look
it up again. I don't have to worry about the 72 character line, as jstar
just brings in its own settings from its own .jstarc configuration file. I
don't know right now where the cursor goes when I do a follow up — I'll have
to check that out and report back. Wherever it ends up I'm used to what it
does.

Sorry I can't be any more help. I've tried nano but could never get "into
it."

--
Saudis bomb & starve Yemeni civilians: (crickets)
Yemenis attack Saudi oil facilities: TERRORISM!

RonB

May 21, 2021, 10:49:17 AM5/21/21
Just checked, my cursor does stay between the response and he header. So I
guess that's built into jstar (somehow).

Lewis

May 21, 2021, 5:04:15 PM5/21/21
It is probably the +%d, but I do not have joe installed on any machine
and I can’t be arsed looking up a man page online.

--
I hope this email finds you Living in a shotgun shack
I hope this email finds you In another part of the world

Ted Heise

May 21, 2021, 5:42:28 PM5/21/21
On Fri, 21 May 2021 04:24:33 -0000 (UTC),
ffuentes <ffue...@sdf-f.spam.org> wrote:
> Here I have a silly question. Do any of you use nano to post to
> newsgroups?

> I know slrn has a good example of how to setup vim to post but
> how can someone post from nano? I wanna make nano wrap at 72
> characters (which can be done with -r) but I also wanna make
> the cursor to stay in between the response and the header.
>
> nano -r 72 -S +10
>
> Is this right? Do any of you have a better idea?

I use pico, which I think is related to nano. Here's what I have
in my .slrnrc, perhaps it will help?

set editor_command "pico -z -t -r66 -Q \"> \" %s"

The "-r66" part is the line length before wrapping. Many of the
newsgroups I frequent have extended back and forth discussions, so
after a few exchanges 72 starts to look pretty bad.

I also love pico's rewrap feature (Ctrl-j) that even rewraps
quoted text properly (used it above).

--
Ted Heise <the...@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA

RonB

May 21, 2021, 7:28:13 PM5/21/21
You were right — "%d — number of the first line of the message body"
(Don't know what the plus sign does.)

%s is for the file name.

So could the original poster also use the +%d (or just %d) for nano?

RonB

May 21, 2021, 7:36:27 PM5/21/21
I use that feature (Ctrl-b) all the time in jstar as well (it appears to
work the same). I might look at setting up a jstar configuration just for
slrn — you make a good point about using 66 columns instead of a higher
number.

Lewis

May 21, 2021, 11:09:42 PM5/21/21
Probably? It would need the + however, since nano wants +<num> for a
line number to start on.

--
When you come to the fork in the road, take it

Lewis

May 21, 2021, 11:11:41 PM5/21/21
And gq in vim.

--
I'm the best singer in Tasmania. With teeth.

RonB

May 22, 2021, 1:40:37 AM5/22/21
If I hadn't used WordStar in DOS for so long I probably would be using some
other editor in Linux. But jstar was like "coming home" for me. That's the
great thing about Linux, lots of choices.

Ted Heise

May 22, 2021, 10:22:27 AM5/22/21
On Sat, 22 May 2021 03:11:40 -0000 (UTC),
Lewis <g.k...@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:
> In message <s89g5p$1h9$1...@dont-email.me> RonB <ronb02...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2021-05-21, Ted Heise <the...@panix.com> wrote:

> >> I use pico, which I think is related to nano. Here's what I
> >> have in my .slrnrc, perhaps it will help?
> >>
> >> set editor_command "pico -z -t -r66 -Q \"> \" %s"

> >> I also love pico's rewrap feature (Ctrl-j) that even rewraps
> >> quoted text properly (used it above).
>
> > I use that feature (Ctrl-b) all the time in jstar as well (it
> > appears to work the same). I might look at setting up a jstar
> > configuration just for slrn ??? you make a good point about
> > using 66 columns instead of a higher number.
>
> And gq in vim.

I *knew* it. :)

See header in my first post...