Using PAN, Some group subject lines

Paul

Dec 14, 2022, 3:36:00 PM12/14/22

Hi all.

I'm using PAN News reader on a UNIX system. It works with 20 concurrent
connections and I'm getting a Super Fast download rate of 550-600Mbps!

In some newsgroups like for example the alt.binaries.movies.mkv
newsgroup, after downloading the message headers, most of the subject
lines have random letters all together like for example

Subject: "UYIJHUTTTT678YU555555"

Are these subject lines encoded somehow, needing to be decoded to be able
to read the subject line of what the message description is about it's
attachment attached, or do people just type in trash for the subject
leaving a person to guess what it is until wasting time to download?

This is a current valid email address if someone will please take the
time to reply here for others knowledge and by email so I don't miss it
with more information about what I'm looking at?

Cybermin

Retro Guy

Dec 14, 2022, 6:17:15 PM12/14/22
Paul wrote:

> In some newsgroups like for example the alt.binaries.movies.mkv
> newsgroup, after downloading the message headers, most of the subject
> lines have random letters all together like for example

> Subject: "UYIJHUTTTT678YU555555"

> Are these subject lines encoded somehow, needing to be decoded to be able
> to read the subject line of what the message description is about it's
> attachment attached, or do people just type in trash for the subject
> leaving a person to guess what it is until wasting time to download?

You'll need to find one of the sites where they list what subject they used for
what content. They don't want the content of messages to be obvious.

Good luck.

--
Retro Guy

Retro Guy

Dec 16, 2022, 2:45:59 AM12/16/22
Hey Paul, I replied to your email but rec'd 'Undeliverable' from your mail server. So, here's the email:

On 2022-12-15 20:14, Paul wrote:
Ok, well it's valid information then which is good News. I had been
away from the Usenet scene for a few years and this 'scrambled'
subject line stuff is new News to me... :-)

You'll need to find one of the sites....

So would I find this(these) posting list/'s in the group/'s posted in
or elsewhere on the net? Have you an example link you could
paste/forward as an example of where/what I'm searching for?.

Usenet is mostly now used for binaries (tv shows, movies, porn, etc.) I
don't use it for that so I don't know the sites, but I do know that that
is how it works.

Thanks for the reply and start of me learning something new.

You should really be replying to the newsgroup, not by email. That way
everyone can benefit and contribute to the discussion. That's what
Usenet really should be for :)

--
Retro Guy