Another Thunderbird tutorial

Retro Guy

Feb 18, 2024, 1:30:36 PMFeb 18
Since we're seeing more and more people trying to learn how to connect a
newsreader, last week I put together a simple tutorial for getting
Thunderbird connected with a Usenet server:
https://www.i2pn2.org/common/Thunderbird/Usenet-Thunderbird.html

Any admins that wish to copy it are welcome to do so. Here is a link to a
.pdf that anyone is welcome to put on their own site if they wish:
https://www.i2pn2.org/common/Thunderbird/Usenet-Thunderbird.pdf

I'm just hoping it's useful, and can relieve some time that people are
spending repeatedly explaining the same thing to new users.

rek2 hispagatos

Feb 18, 2024, 4:38:28 PMFeb 18
Thank you! I just shared it on mastodon and matrix

Happy Hacking
ReK2

--
- {gemini,https}://{,rek2.}hispagatos.org - mastodon: @re...@hispagatos.space
- [https|gemini]://2600.Madrid - https://hispagatos.space/@rek2

llp

Feb 18, 2024, 4:59:13 PMFeb 18
Le 18/02/2024, Retro Guy a supposé :
Great idea !

Can i do a french translation of your document ?

Retro Guy

Feb 18, 2024, 5:40:33 PMFeb 18
Certainly, feel free to do so.

Michael Uplawski

Feb 19, 2024, 2:05:06 AMFeb 19
Good morning

I's like to know in which way this tutorial is *different* from others.
While I do not use Thunderbird, I can find this on the Web:

<https://nyc1.sx.ggtyler.dev/search?q=thunderbird%20usenet%20access&language=auto&time_range=&safesearch=0&categories=general>

llp wrote in news.software.readers:

> > I'm just hoping it's useful, and can relieve some time that people are
> > spending repeatedly explaining the same thing to new users.

This will not change, I am afraid.
But any detail *not covered in the existing documentation* is worth an additional effort.

I will not dwell on my criticism, but have written a lot of useless
documentation, myself. Not bereft of content and intention, but utterly ill
directed to a public which had no use for it.

Peace.

Michael
--
He's an ill cook that breeds contempt

Michael Uplawski

Feb 19, 2024, 2:06:03 AMFeb 19
Stupid orthography, stupid supersedes.

Good morning

I'd like to know in which way this tutorial is *different* from others. While
I do not use Thunderbird, I can find this on the Web:

<https://nyc1.sx.ggtyler.dev/search?q=thunderbird%20usenet%20access&language=auto&time_range=&safesearch=0&categories=general>

llp wrote in news.software.readers:

> > I'm just hoping it's useful, and can relieve some time that people are
> > spending repeatedly explaining the same thing to new users.

Michael Uplawski

Feb 19, 2024, 2:06:56 AMFeb 19

Retro Guy wrote in news.software.readers:

> > I'm just hoping it's useful, and can relieve some time that people are
> > spending repeatedly explaining the same thing to new users.

s|b

Feb 20, 2024, 2:44:20 PMFeb 20
On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 11:27:49 -0700, Retro Guy wrote:

> I'm just hoping it's useful, and can relieve some time that people are
> spending repeatedly explaining the same thing to new users.

I would add links to some free newsservers (and NIN). Also, how to
quote: <https://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html>

And Netiquette Guidelines:
<http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html>

Your screenshots seem a bit small (under 1440x900). I can see the
originals are bigger when I open them in a new tab.

--
s|b

Retro Guy

Feb 20, 2024, 7:15:37 PMFeb 20
s|b wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 11:27:49 -0700, Retro Guy wrote:

>> I'm just hoping it's useful, and can relieve some time that people are
>> spending repeatedly explaining the same thing to new users.

> I would add links to some free newsservers (and NIN). Also, how to
> quote: <https://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html>

> And Netiquette Guidelines:
> <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html>

It's really just meant to help with Thunderbird. There are others who maintain lists of free newsservers, stuff about netiquette, etc. Maybe someone wants to set up a page with all of it.

> Your screenshots seem a bit small (under 1440x900). I can see the
> originals are bigger when I open them in a new tab.

Probably because I develop and work on desktops. Sometimes I forget that people use smaller screens. Maybe I will make the images links to make it easy to open them.

--
Retro Guy

candycanearter07

Feb 20, 2024, 8:03:48 PMFeb 20
Hope this gets a few more people on USENET!